First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
If only all the hate for the JEEP Key Fob could be harnessed and used to do good :LOL:
We could have built a new moon rocket and lander with the amount of time and energy wasted on this. It's been a hilarious insight into what people will obsess about though.
Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) 1603654464842
Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) 1603654464842
Ive been told this is the reason for the fob design
true- and If you Take the guts out of the fob it will hold 5 gallons of gas...

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT GDE Ecodiesel, 22 Polestar 2
Occupation
engineer
We could have built a new moon rocket and lander with the amount of time and energy wasted on this. It's been a hilarious insight into what people will obsess about though.
It's all a matter of personal preference. It's one thing I have always appreciated about automotive enthusiasts, whatever the brand, the owners are passionate about personalization and mods. It's interesting to see the obsessions and perspectives, I often find it broadens my own point of view, even though I might not adopt what I observe.

What I find hilariously insightful is the time people waste contributing nonsense to topics they clearly don't agree with.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
It's all a matter of personal preference. It's one thing I have always appreciated about automotive enthusiasts, whatever the brand, the owners are passionate about personalization and mods. It's interesting to see the obsessions and perspectives, I often find it broadens my own point of view, even though I might not adopt what I observe.

What I find hilariously insightful is the time people waste contributing nonsense to topics they clearly don't agree with.
Kind of like your post, right?

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Another version to consider. No buttons. For me I don't use the remote start or any of the other buttons on a regular basis having the 'enter-n-go' passive entry option. The only other car key i carry is the 'sport' key for my XC90. It is the size of a standard USB thumb drive. This would be my goal and inspiration. Obviously with the internal component constraints getting that small would be impossible but a simple sealed case with a clip in slot along the edge for the physical key would be my ideal fob.

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) s-l640

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT GDE Ecodiesel, 22 Polestar 2
Occupation
engineer
I am interested to see how this turns out. The current FOB is just to big and bulky.

Any estimate on when this may be available?
I should have some photos of the beta prototypes to share by mid-November. We have already gone through a few alpha prototypes. As a "pet" project of mine, it doesn't make it to the top of the list but it's on the list.

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Another version to consider. No buttons. For me I don't use the remote start or any of the other buttons on a regular basis having the 'enter-n-go' passive entry option. The only other car key i carry is the 'sport' key for my XC90. It is the size of a standard USB thumb drive. This would be my goal and inspiration. Obviously with the internal component constraints getting that small would be impossible but a simple sealed case with a clip in slot along the edge for the physical key would be my ideal fob.

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) s-l640
I like this simple design, as i don't have any buttons on my key fob either. I'd be 100% ok with having something like this to house the transponder chip, and a "normal" cut key on a ring for when I lock the console/glovebox/or seat back.

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
I should have some photos of the beta prototypes to share by mid-November. We have already gone through a few alpha prototypes. As a "pet" project of mine, it doesn't make it to the top of the list but it's on the list.
Looking forward to it. Thanks for your interest in this.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
I like this simple design, as i don't have any buttons on my key fob either. I'd be 100% ok with having something like this to house the transponder chip, and a "normal" cut key on a ring for when I lock the con
That would work if you only wanted/needed to use the key, really all you need is a 'head' for the key to store the transponder.

Unfortunately the circuit board needs to be included with the battery to make the keyless entry work (maybe downsize from the CR2450 to the more standard fob battery, CR2032). I can't wait to see what @crdouglass3 comes up with. Looking inside there is a ton of wasted space.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
And if you're even more interested in these Key Fob Follies here's 10 more pages on the subject:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...son-the-jl-key-fob-is-so-big-waterproof.6282/
LOL, I wasn't aware that there was a THIRD thread of key whining. Holy crap.

This is the other one I'm aware of: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/key-fob-follies.33741/

You will need something much bigger than the Gladiator to haul all the popcorn you need for that thread.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase