Rear springs when towing

TheStig

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
So I’m having a small issue. I’m running a overland diesel with a 2.5 teraflex lift. The lift just has spacers in the rear with the factory springs. Question is, when I tow I get a lot of sag in the rear. I know this is normal but feel like I want to stiffen up the rear to support the weight a little better. I’ve toyed with just getting a set of air bags but worried they will effect the Offroad. Also thought of switching to a different spring. Like factory rubicon or just getting say a 2 inch lift spring. Anyone have any experience with this?
Sponsored

GRDIESEL

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Try a set of Airlift air bags inside your rear coils. They have no impact on performance when not in use. You deflate them down to 5 psi or so and they do nothing, just float inside the coil.
They are a quick install and fairly inexpensive option to try out. They helped me with sag.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So I’m having a small issue. I’m running a overland diesel with a 2.5 teraflex lift. The lift just has spacers in the rear with the factory springs. Question is, when I tow I get a lot of sag in the rear. I know this is normal but feel like I want to stiffen up the rear to support the weight a little better. I’ve toyed with just getting a set of air bags but worried they will effect the Offroad. Also thought of switching to a different spring. Like factory rubicon or just getting say a 2 inch lift spring. Anyone have any experience with this?
I have experience with this first hand. I have a 3” lift up front, but am using BDS 3” lift springs for a ram 1500 in the rear. It’s a mod a local shop came up with, and had done on several gladiators before me. It rides perfectly, maintains a rake, and never sags when loaded up and towing. It also works off road far better than without this. The rake increases departure angle, and makes climbs more stable. I could not be happier with the result. Here’s a picture of it hooked up to our trailer, and there’s several hundred pounds in the bed as well. The trailer tongue weight is around 300 pounds.

F42B6669-65CF-445D-82C6-66BC8F4BB149.jpeg

051FF049-656F-4DE3-A2C1-C92404B529D4.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Having a gas Overland I can tell you it's a problem anyway............
I had crazy sag when I first tested it with a lot of blocks on a platform on the receiver. It dropped badly, really badly.
So I put max tow springs under it. Took the nice ride away and helped with sag when loaded, but with 500 pound tongue weight it still dropped the back enough that it then sat level (no rake at all) to just a bit lower than level in the back and caused the headlights to blind anyone coming from the other direction.
I figured I'd have to adjust headlights any time I hooked a trailer to it, and set them back again when disconnected.

When my new one arrives, not sure if I want to put the max tow springs and 3/4" spacers back again or come up with something better.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Having a gas Overland I can tell you it's a problem anyway............
I had crazy sag when I first tested it with a lot of blocks on a platform on the receiver. It dropped badly, really badly.
So I put max tow springs under it. Took the nice ride away and helped with sag when loaded, but with 500 pound tongue weight it still dropped the back enough that it then sat level (no rake at all) to just a bit lower than level in the back and caused the headlights to blind anyone coming from the other direction.
I figured I'd have to adjust headlights any time I hooked a trailer to it, and set them back again when disconnected.

When my new one arrives, not sure if I want to put the max tow springs and 3/4" spacers back again or come up with something better.
These BDS springs are not harsh at all. It rides very smooth. No handling issues whatsoever. It’s a perfect solution.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
These BDS springs are not harsh at all. It rides very smooth. No handling issues whatsoever. It’s a perfect solution.
Yeah, but I don't want a 3" lift LOL
I want only about 1 to 1.5".............

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, but I don't want a 3" lift LOL
I want only about 1 to 1.5".............
Fair, but they might make something for that height that gets a similar result.

OP
OP

TheStig

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Thanks for the info. I may end up doing both just to be safe and so I only have to pull the suspension apart once. My trailer looks to be a little heavier so better safe than sorry I guess right?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Tough to say. That how mine looked with hundreds of pounds of camping gear in the bed as well. I just don’t like air bags. You’re asking the bags to do what the springs have failed to do. I’d rather have springs that do the job on their own.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Tough to say. That how mine looked with hundreds of pounds of camping gear in the bed as well. I just don’t like air bags. You’re asking the bags to do what the springs have failed to do. I’d rather have springs that do the job on their own.
I would agree with you if the vehicle is loaded most of the time.

I spend most of my time unloaded, at partial loads, and trail riding so the bags allow a decent ride unloaded with a mid rate spring and then I can air up as needed.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I would agree with you if the vehicle is loaded most of the time.

I spend most of my time unloaded, at partial loads, and trail riding so the bags allow a decent ride unloaded with a mid rate spring and then I can air up as needed.
I get the perspective, but these are not harsh like max tow springs. They’re really nice riding. It feels like a 1/2 ton ram empty. And it wheels perfectly with almost nothing in the bed.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Curious what the payload of the Ram 1500 is, the JT max tow is around 1700 which is pretty high even for a half ton truck so the max tow springs are pretty stout.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I have experience with this first hand. I have a 3” lift up front, but am using BDS 3” lift springs for a ram 1500 in the rear. It’s a mod a local shop came up with, and had done on several gladiators before me. It rides perfectly, maintains a rake, and never sags when loaded up and towing. It also works off road far better than without this. The rake increases departure angle, and makes climbs more stable. I could not be happier with the result. Here’s a picture of it hooked up to our trailer, and there’s several hundred pounds in the bed as well. The trailer tongue weight is around 300 pounds.

Jeep Gladiator Rear springs when towing 051FF049-656F-4DE3-A2C1-C92404B529D4

Jeep Gladiator Rear springs when towing 051FF049-656F-4DE3-A2C1-C92404B529D4
Do you know part number? I wonder what droop/extended length is compared to a similar lift spring from RK or MC or whatever designed for articulation…

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know part number? I wonder what droop/extended length is compared to a similar lift spring from RK or MC or whatever designed for articulation…
I didn’t have it when I originally posted this, but got it from BDS at some point. I also have BDS tuned fox 2.0’s in the rear to match, but don’t have that part number. The shop I used parted both out from complete BDS kits I believe. BDS 032308R. I think they’re expensive from BDS, but the way my shop did it, I only paid I think $250 for this spring/shock upgrade. For what it’s worth, it articulates REALLY well. I can stuff them all the way into the fenders, but without rubbing. I get within a 1/2” of the fender liner.
Sponsored