Sponsored

Recessed vs. top mount winch- cooling concerns?

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
Looking for opinions on recessed vs. top (surface) mount winch bumpers.

I am looking to ditch the plastic rubi bumper for a beefier winch capable option. There are several bumpers I like (fishbone mako for example) that are top mount for the winch. My concern is with all the work Jeep did to increase cooling for towing does a winch partially obstructing the radiator have a big effect on cooling? I tow fairly regularly, but not often more than 5k lbs. Living in NY even summer temps are rarely at or above 90, we do however have alot of hilly terrain that increases towing effort.

Reasons Im looking at top mount include weight- seems like many of the recessed bumpers are 100lbs+, and also living in NY Im concerned with a recessed winch becoming a snowy icy block that is harder to clean than a top mount.

Appreciate any opinions or experiences others have had, specifically towing with a top mount winch installed.
Sponsored

Backwoodsraider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jts
So, when i went to get a bumper, i looked at alot of posts about this. People on here will swear up and down that a top mount will ruin towing...

Whatever.

I got a top mount, the area it covers, well, somewhat blocks, is the lower portion, and even at that point the air will still go over the winch and back down, albeit not as reliable.

Now, will i tow 7500 pounds with this truck, probably not. will i tow 5k pounds with it as is, yes, and i do not foresee the top mount will cause any issues.

Already towed 4k pounds up the colorado mountains, and no cooling issues at all

OP
OP
aj8544

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
So, when i went to get a bumper, i looked at alot of posts about this. People on here will swear up and down that a top mount will ruin towing...

Whatever.

I got a top mount, the area it covers, well, somewhat blocks, is the lower portion, and even at that point the air will still go over the winch and back down, albeit not as reliable.

Now, will i tow 7500 pounds with this truck, probably not. will i tow 5k pounds with it as is, yes, and i do not foresee the top mount will cause any issues.

Perfect- thank you!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is top-mounted... No issues here. There’s room behind the winch for adequate air flow if you get the right bumper/winch combo.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Whatever.

I like this forum, and MOST of the people here, but my observation is because there seems to be a lot of older folks on here that are set in their ways & are stickler ninny’s about just about everything on a vehicle. Like... What the GVWR stickers say, when in reality, trying to tow anywhere near 7,000 lbs. with the JT of any model is going to be nearly problematic, so that extra 650 lbs. is meaningless... Top-mount winch affects cooling... You must rely on the dealership for everything... The Mopar lift is the best because warranty... Running 20” wheels is “mall-crawler” and not Jeep-correct because 17” wheels are the only ones allowed and accepted under Jeep code, or else ye must walk the plank.... :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Sponsored

Backwoodsraider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jts
I like this forum, and MOST of the people here, but my observation is because there seems to be a lot of older folks on here that are set in their ways & are stickler ninny’s about just about everything on a vehicle. Like... What the GVWR stickers say, when in reality, trying to tow anywhere near 7,000 lbs. with the JT of any model is going to be nearly problematic, so that extra 650 lbs. is meaningless... Top-mount winch affects cooling... You must rely on the dealership for everything... The Mopar lift is the best because warranty... Running 20” wheels is “mall-crawler” and not Jeep-correct because 17” wheels are the only ones allowed and accepted under Jeep code, or else ye must walk the plank.... :headbang::headbang::headbang:

wow, im an older folk, and my impression is that it is coming from the younger folk who take manufacturer wording as gospel. too afraid to venture outside the box

guess we have p*ssies of all ages here :)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
wow, im an older folk, and my impression is that it is coming from the younger folk who take manufacturer wording as gospel. too afraid to venture outside the box

guess we have p*ssies of all ages here :)
I’m 34, and always been a bit of an anti-authoritarian rebel, so actually, I agree with that last part. A lot of the folks under 30 that I’ve met seem to be that way, and a lot of folks over 55 seem to also be that way (you know, the ones still believe everything the MSM tells them “has to be true, because they can’t lie on TV... :facepalm:). It seems that sweet-spot age of those 30-55 right now seem to be the last rebels.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Back on topic I suppose... I have had the factory steel bumper on my past 3 jeeps. I have used the add-a-winch plates so that the winch is recessed in the bumper. I have had no issues with snow or ice being here in Colorado and traveling up north all the way up to North Dakota. IMO... get the bumper and winch you like the best and run with it.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Theoretically, a winch plate that places the winch between the frame rails will be stronger because of how the forces pull on the mounting points. In practice, it's really not going to make a difference.

The reason cooling became an issue is because the tow rating test includes a hill climb near Davis Dam that averages 7% and it must be done in the Arizona heat. It's a savage test for any truck and there's only a handfull of places in the country that will replicate that level of cooling system stress.

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like for your use you should be fine... You're not towing 7k+ lbs in the desert.

But there are options for bumpers with recessed mounting under 100lbs.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to have a winch mounted lower but it was not a cost effective, reasons less wind restricted. Less bugs in, on winch and line. Easier to clean grill. The plus side is no leaves and crud build up to clean out. Easy access to the winch and line.
Sponsored