Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, Mercedes SL550
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Almost retired Project Manager.
Question... I am getting ready to buy a winch for my JTR. I know Warn has a great reputation and is high quality. I have also heard that the Smittybilt X20 winch is a decent winch for the money. Is the difference in cost between a Warn EVO and a Smittybilt X20 or XRC really worth it?
Sponsored

Xxtavixx

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
I just did this exact debate, ended up with warn. Im new to winches. There are a few side by side comparisons, but i figure if i am going to spend that much a little extra isnt a big deal.

dreston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
No doubt that Warn winches are very dependable.

gotswap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Have a smitty on my YJ and a warn on the JT. There is no comparison to the 2, the warn is just so much better in all aspects.

Keep in mind my comparison is between the gen 2 smitty and the 12-s platinum

That being said, my smitty has never failed me.

Last edited:

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I went for the SMitty Bilt XRC gen3 12k pound model for a few reasons:
  • Outperformed even the high end winches by Warn in most comparisons I found (magazines, youtube, internet). 0 failures noted, faster, cooler, pulled more.
  • Price
  • Most reports put Smittybilt's winches at least as reliable as warn's in recent years, if not significantly better.
  • Warn's warranty service- a little googling of reviews makes it look like Warn has grown very hard to work with over recent years.
  • I really liked warn's wireless controls on some of the models, but in reading reviews, I am sure I would be one of the folks that lets the handle run out of charge before use, so that became a moot point
  • Warn has a better water-proof rating on the high end winches. Collecting on warranty when it fails seems to be another story. Also, when I really thought about how often I will have the winch submerged in excess of 15 minutes, I figured its not worth the extra coin.
  • Smittybilt (through 4WheelParts) basically has a no questions asked replacement inside the warranty period right now.

All in all, I got the impression that Warn has slept on its laurels for the last few product cycles, and the rest of the market has caught up. I don't think its worth the price premium personally.

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Talking with my neighbour about winches as he has lots of experience with them and I have non, mentioned to me, concerning the smittybilt (model??) the rope was very difficult to pull out soon after using it a few times. He had to undo the housing that encases the gears and lube and change out the lube with better product. Rope pulls out with ease. He figured Chinese installers put in cheep shit

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Question... I am getting ready to buy a winch for my JTR. I know Warn has a great reputation and is high quality. I have also heard that the Smittybilt X20 winch is a decent winch for the money. Is the difference in cost between a Warn EVO and a Smittybilt X20 or XRC really worth it?
I have had a Smittybilt X20 Comp on my Land Rover discovery for over 2 years mounted on an ARB bull bar (the one with synthetic cable: like this: https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/smitt...mtgZ0EcOBAk7960t8l67JyCGgV37CyHRoCJyUQAvD_BwE). Have used it a number of times to pull others out of ditches and crappy driveways (houses are still being built in my neighborhood and a lot of contractor trucks get stuck on sloping grades + snow/mud = lots of hi revving silliness outside my house... so I winch people out because I'm at home (F%&$ng COVID) and its entertaining for my son).

Sorry. I digressed. The smittybilt X20 winch is awesome. Comes with a wireless controller that you can plug in as well. Pulls great. Totally reliable (have used it in -20F conditions) and saved me about 50% over the price of a comparable WARN. I'm over the brand thing... so I get money to spend on other goodies.

😁 BUT - at the mall others snicker derisively at me and my off brand shoes so there is that...

Clay

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired LEO
I bought a Smittybuilt 2nd gen. X20, 12,000 lb winch and love it. I haven't winched anybody out of anything, nor my Gladiator. But.......I have been using mine to put pressure on trees in my yard to get rid of them. I reel in the synthetic rope until it won't reel no more and start working on the roots. I then start reeling until it stops. I guess it is like a torture test. So far, it hasn't failed me yet. I had a Superwinch 8,500 lb. that I used to use, but wanted something stronger, so the Smittybuilt. Love the wireless remote!

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I had great luck with a smittybilt x20 on my last vehicle, and went with a smittybilt xrc gen3 for the gladiator after returning a Zeon 10-s (no fault of warn, return was due to quadratec being stupid)
Sponsored