OP

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel and 2021 Wrangler 4xe
I couldn’t wait, I had to buy a JT when it first came out, when the diesel was released I sold my gas JT for a 4K profit and got the diesel … it all worked out.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 3.21 gear does seem to be the sweet spot for this powertrain. Traditionally vehicles with gas and diesel options have always come with numerically lower axle ratios if you select the diesel because the power output is totally different and you need to keep RPM in a different range. I was shocked when Jeep used 3.73 with the diesel. The 3.45 from the JL would have been a much better fit.
Thinking real hard about the KO2 37’s. They weigh the same as the 35” KO2, which is odd but shouldn’t hinder performance too much other than drag and ratio.

Other factor is that I plan on towing a small travel trailer 3500lbs empty.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Negative, lack of torque is not an issue with 37s and 3.73 on an eco-diesel, at least nothing to complain about too much considering the big difference. However, I highly doubt any vehicle becomes more efficient with bigger, heavier tires.

Edit: OP has a gas engine with a soon to be 3 speed manual trans 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
No kidding - I rarely see 8th for very long as it is. There's times when there's some wind that it doesn't leave 7th at all. (and my tires while wider are pretty much stock size A/Ts)
Forget about towing unless you love 4th gear as your top gear.
You pretty much summed it up. If they could get more MPG by doing such a thing........ well..........
These engines just don't have the guts for that for one thing.
And a larger rotating mass isn't going to gain, it's going to lose.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Thinking real hard about the KO2 37’s. They weigh the same as the 35” KO2, which is odd but shouldn’t hinder performance too much other than drag and ratio.

Other factor is that I plan on towing a small travel trailer 3500lbs empty.
Yeah that's the wildcard. If a guy knows he'll go up quite a bit in tire size, the 3.73s will be perfect.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn’t wait, I had to buy a JT when it first came out, when the diesel was released I sold my gas JT for a 4K profit and got the diesel … it all worked out.
LUCKY!

I keep looking at prices and trade values and i COULD trade up..but id end up with a $500ish payment instead of my $325...the added $175 monthly cost just doesnt add up to me.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LUCKY!

I keep looking at prices and trade values and i COULD trade up..but id end up with a $500ish payment instead of my $325...the added $175 monthly cost just doesnt add up to me.
In your situation, and you want more power, save some pennies for a Magnuson supercharger …