DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
They know they didn't make the deal right, hence the check. Even if you decide to do it on your own, you still need to have them remove the missing fob from your JT computer, or you could wake up to an empty driveway. With that missing fob, anyone that has it can drive it off.

You have more power than that, you'll be getting a review questionnaire that they put a LOT of stock in.

All in, to have the key fob done complete by a JEEP dealership you're looking at $350-$400.
Hard part around Indy, is finding a locksmith that will do it. I've found several that can do laser cut keys, no one wants to do the programming.
They are not a Jeep dealer, so they can't remove anything. I'll have to have my Jeep dealership do that. I'm not sure I get a review questionaire for a used vehicle. I hope I do. But I think I would have gotten it by now. It was purchased at a Chevy dealer, not a Jeep dealer.

The good news is that it is in the garage every night. Someone getting into my garage at night stands a good chance of having an adventure they hadn't expected. But still, to your point, yes, I will ask my Jeep dealership to remove it. They are very helpful and very good.
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Go to Estes, go to parts counter and ask them replacement cost for your fob.
Then go to service and get their price to cut and program.

THEN call the Chevy dealership and tell them the replacement cost.

Most dealerships run the evaluation questionnaire no matter which side the purchase was on. Bonuses get figured through that system.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reason I mentioned Estes, besides you being in the 'burg, I went to look at a new Rubi in '20 out there and they lost both keys to it. Didn't know it until I asked to drive it because I was the first to look at it.

Took them 2 weeks to get new ones from JEEP.
Wow.

Truth is, I've never lost a key fob in my 39 years of driving. So I could survive with one, but I don't want to encounter the first time and be screwed. Lol.

I'll get the quote for the new one Tuesday and will send them the bill for the difference. I do think they want that review changed. It seemed to bug them. If they don't take care of it, the review will get worse. I can then also have my 9 kids get on there and each do an equally bad 1 star review. That'd be fun, woudn't it? "This dealership screwed my Dad over a silly key fob. I would not recommend buying a lug nut from them." X9.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Wow.

Truth is, I've never lost a key fob in my 39 years of driving. So I could survive with one, but I don't want to encounter the first time and be screwed. Lol.

I'll get the quote for the new one Tuesday and will send them the bill for the difference. I do think they want that review changed. It seemed to bug them. If they don't take care of it, the review will get worse. I can then also have my 9 kids get on there and each do an equally bad 1 star review. That'd be fun, woudn't it? "This dealership screwed my Dad over a silly key fob. I would not recommend buying a lug nut from them." X9.
LOL, my wife has lost at least one fob for her last three cars. She loses her cell phone once a month. We've had to cancel and replace several credit cards, only to find them after the new one arrives.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL, my wife has lost at least one fob for her last three cars. She loses her cell phone once a month. We've had to cancel and replace several credit cards, only to find them after the new one arrives.
My ex lost keys all the time....usually throwing them away with other trash, unknowingly. I had to put a waterproof Tile on them. That thing saved us some money. She'd lose 2 to 3 a year.

DbqDude

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
My 2020 JTR only came with one fob used and a replacement new factory one at locksmith express was about $200 cut and programmed. No need to go to a higher cost dealership.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
My 2020 JTR only came with one fob used and a replacement new factory one at locksmith express was about $200 cut and programmed. No need to go to a higher cost dealership.
You're missing the point.

The selling dealer sent him a check for a missing key fob but it wasn't for the full amount that a JEEP dealer would charge for said fob.

They owe him for the cost of a cut and programmed fob from a JEEP dealer.

What he does after receiving full compensation is up to him.

DbqDude

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
You're missing the point.

The selling dealer sent him a check for a missing key fob but it wasn't for the full amount that a JEEP dealer would charge for said fob.

They owe him for the cost of a cut and programmed fob from a JEEP dealer.

What he does after receiving full compensation is up to him.
Well good luck with that buying used from a non jeep dealer...

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll give that a shot...was your locksmith a national chain?

Sponsored

DbqDude

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I'll give that a shot...was your locksmith a national chain?
I'm not sure if they are a chain. Probably locally owned but I'd just call around to locksmith shops with good ratings and ask for a price. Mine didn't have one in stock but got it in one day. I've also bought fobs/keys online from keylessjoe.com and taken it to a locksmith to cut and program. They sell a gladiator prox fob with remote start for $149 and no remote start for $99.

Flyboy2109

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator, 2004 CTS-V, 2001 Tahoe, 1990 Dakot
Occupation
retired Pilot: USCG, Delta, Netjets
My son went swimming with my FOB. It cost me just over $200 to order through the dealer. I had to provide the VIN so they could cut the key. Now I have to schedule the mating to the truck. Maybe I could have done it without the new key cutting and put the old one into the new FOB, but it was easier just to say yes to the new key. Since my hood and gas cap are mated to that key I don't mind having a spare.

BCPrez

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Machinist Fabricator
What are dealerships getting these days for replacement key fobs? The dealership where I purchased my JT lost the 2nd key fob and just sent me a check for $218 dollars for the replacement. I'm guessing it'll be more like $300. Anyone replace one of these recently?
It cost me $372.00 to get a replacement and to have it programed to work with my Gladiator. It's my understanding the programming can only be doe by a Jeep dealer.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It cost me $372.00 to get a replacement and to have it programed to work with my Gladiator. It's my understanding the programming can only be doe by a Jeep dealer.
Sounds like someone else in this thread got the programming done at a locksmith.
Do you know how much of that $372 was for the programming?