First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Hey guys...new Jeep owner and have a quick question. All of these programmers seem great and something I will want to have in my toolbox but does their use impact your warranty? Don't want to be a downer but I need to keep the warranty in case the Jeep takes a dump. Since it doesn't appear to impact performance aspects maybe it wouldn't ding it too bad?

I know someone will probably jump in with the Magnussen <sic> Act and I understand all about that...the problem with that argument is FCA can afford a lot more time and lawyers than I can.

Really just wondering if any of you guys have discussed these devices with your service depts and what were their positions?

Thanks much...I appreciate having such a great source of information and getting so many different perspectives on my new rig...
Sponsored

OP
OP
ckoyola

ckoyola

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1999 Cherokee XJ, 1977 L82 Corvette
Can't say jscan is only 90 bucks if you also have to buy hardware to use it, eh? So that sort of cuts the price difference by a bit. So if the device is 30 and the app is 90 then you have 120, correct?
I paid $18.99 for a license-the app (ODB JSCAN )is free but you can’t do the advanced programming without it

A697D35A-BBC1-4D94-A1F0-3FFB4524479E.png

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I paid $18.99 for a license-the app (ODB JSCAN )is free but you can’t do the advanced programming without it

Jeep Gladiator Reprogram after tire size change not? A697D35A-BBC1-4D94-A1F0-3FFB4524479E
So you are saying that the app - licensed, and the hardware (the OBD II device to interface) all adds up to 90 or less, not that the app is 90 PLUS the hardware.

mghoodlum

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Pearl Blue Rubicon on order
I bought both the security cable and OBD II on AliExpress for less than $40. All in I’ll be about $50!

Sponsored

Orillian

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Dev.
So you are saying that the app - licensed, and the hardware (the OBD II device to interface) all adds up to 90 or less, not that the app is 90 PLUS the hardware.
Yes.

Orillian

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Dev.
Hey guys...new Jeep owner and have a quick question. All of these programmers seem great and something I will want to have in my toolbox but does their use impact your warranty? Don't want to be a downer but I need to keep the warranty in case the Jeep takes a dump. Since it doesn't appear to impact performance aspects maybe it wouldn't ding it too bad?

I know someone will probably jump in with the Magnussen <sic> Act and I understand all about that...the problem with that argument is FCA can afford a lot more time and lawyers than I can.

Really just wondering if any of you guys have discussed these devices with your service depts and what were their positions?

Thanks much...I appreciate having such a great source of information and getting so many different perspectives on my new rig...
The most effective way to make sure you don't have issues with the dealership is to make sure you don't leave the device in when you take it in. In most cases you don't need the device installed to keep the changes made. There are some extra features that only work with certain devices installed, but most if not all of those are things you can do without for a day or two while the car is in the shop.

For example the break locking features, light show, and 2H unlock options that the Tazer allows you to do only work with the device installed, but changing your TPM settings, switching to LED's from halogens, tire size changes are undetectable once the device has been removed.

That said if you do something to the vehicle using on of these devices that breaks something, you might have a fight with FCA. That said, use with caution and you'll be fine.

I've not used any of these devices for my JT yet, but I had an ODB programmer for my JK and it was a useful tool to have in my toolkit.

O.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There is a YouTube video that explains briefly, but it’s Chrysler thing for security
Yeah, it was a DUH moment because of the WRITES if you make changes.
The sort of firewall bit.
To READ, not needed, if you only have the diagnostic interface to read codes.
Thanks, I guess I needed more coffee or something.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone use the wi-fi version? I hate to add even MORE bluetooth stuff to my phone since it's paired with the JT, paired with my hearing aids, and then this? Bluetooth isn't all that reliable anyway in some cases. But I could tell my phone to connect to a wi-fi device if detected - depending on how the wi-fi version of the adapter works.
I'd rather not mess with bluetooth yet again and add to the already long list of bluetooth stuff I have.

Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
The most effective way to make sure you don't have issues with the dealership is to make sure you don't leave the device in when you take it in. In most cases you don't need the device installed to keep the changes made. There are some extra features that only work with certain devices installed, but most if not all of those are things you can do without for a day or two while the car is in the shop.

For example the break locking features, light show, and 2H unlock options that the Tazer allows you to do only work with the device installed, but changing your TPM settings, switching to LED's from halogens, tire size changes are undetectable once the device has been removed.

That said if you do something to the vehicle using on of these devices that breaks something, you might have a fight with FCA. That said, use with caution and you'll be fine.

I've not used any of these devices for my JT yet, but I had an ODB programmer for my JK and it was a useful tool to have in my toolkit.

O.
Sir, thanks very much for the info...I'd mainly be looking for the ability to adjust tire size...everything else is just bonus. I appreciate the response...

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase

JScan doesn't leave a foot print so there is no way for anyone to know you have used it unless you tell them.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Great info on jscan - I may just go that direction for kicks.
I have no huge need but being able to grab info, interface with phone, might be worth the just shy of 100 bucks.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
JScan doesn't leave a foot print so there is no way for anyone to know you have used it unless you tell them.
That's very good to know! Makes if much more attractive...thanks much...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OK, but do you remove that cable and device each dealer visit?
I understand software-wise - but the other stuff in there...........
Sponsored