Rock Rails Thread

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
The top two are the rear flaps. The cut-out is for the exhaust pipe on the driver's side.
Jeep Gladiator Rock Rails Thread SnJ4N_W3BFb9uQ?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none
i might get those. not bad for $50, way cheaper than the RockBlox that i was going to get

AC_1960

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
Civil Engineer
i might get those. not bad for $50, way cheaper than the RockBlox that i was going to get
I like the way they follow the lines of the fenders. The RockBlokz stuck out farther than I cared for. Yes, that means more protection, but they looked like an obvious ad-on instead of blending in with the stock fenders. I also considered the WeatherTechs, but didn't like how the lower part of the flap was vertical instead of angled.

If you get them, I can get you some more pics of where I placed the plastic rivets and push fasteners. There was some trial and error on the first one until I figured it out. They supply you with some metal screws/fasteners, but I used Mopar equivalent plastic rivets and fasteners. You would need a plastic rivet tool if you go that route.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I like the way they follow the lines of the fenders. The RockBlokz stuck out farther than I cared for. Yes, that means more protection, but they looked like an obvious ad-on instead of blending in with the stock fenders. I also considered the WeatherTechs, but didn't like how the lower part of the flap was vertical instead of angled.

If you get them, I can get you some more pics of where I placed the plastic rivets and push fasteners. There was some trial and error on the first one until I figured it out. They supply you with some metal screws/fasteners, but I used Mopar equivalent plastic rivets and fasteners. You would need a plastic rivet tool if you go that route.
you've been most helpful, i'll PM you for a few more questions.

Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Copy pasta from my post in another thread as this info is pertinent here.

Body Armor JT Sliders. These are similar in design to the JCR Classic sliders. The sliders themselves are very nice. Welds more then sufficient & the material is plenty thick. Connects on each side to the 8 pinch weld locations & the 4 slider bolts on the body.

The bad part however is that the hardware is complete crap. The nutserts that hold the sliders to the brackets arent put in well & the bolts themselves are soft. For the 375 dollars I paid I would still say they are a hell of a deal, but if I was doing it again tomorrow I would start the day with replacing the nutserts & buying all new hardware including 4 of the pinch weld bolts being longer (the rear set wouldnt make it into the bolts so I had to run to the hardware store as they are 8mm metric threads) In the end there is enough redundancy in the attachment that I wont bother taking it apart to replace them.
Jeep Gladiator Rock Rails Thread SnJ4N_W3BFb9uQ?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I think those are now the ugliest thing I've seen on a Gladiator. But they are cheap.

Nevadabackroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geologist
Vehicle Showcase
I think those are now the ugliest thing I've seen on a Gladiator. But they are cheap.
LOL Different strokes, I guess. I have to agree that the factory rock rails look cleaner. But at least these contour to the body. I have to do something because my wife is 5'2". We need a step of some description, and these may be the least offensive yet practical solution I've found.
The Gladiator was far from 'cheap', so I'm not really interested in saving a few hundred dollars here. I'm looking for the best overall solution.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Of course, tastes vary. Just don't tell me you're putting 24" dub spinners on it and I'll agree to disagree, LOL.

They do look super effective for a short person. Now, if big cash is an option, the electric drop steps are pretty spectacular. But a LOT more cash. The Ace rails are super clean, but not GREAT as a step. Just ok. My wife is super leggy so for her any of them work fine.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
LOL Different strokes, I guess. I have to agree that the factory rock rails look cleaner. But at least these contour to the body. I have to do something because my wife is 5'2". We need a step of some description, and these may be the least offensive yet practical solution I've found.
The Gladiator was far from 'cheap', so I'm not really interested in saving a few hundred dollars here. I'm looking for the best overall solution.
Remember that those are not sliders. They are just steps & if you are using the jeep offroad your likely to catch those steps hanging down like that & rip them off possibly damaging the body in the process..

I have to contend with short folks as well. We have a 9 year old who getting in & out was having to basically do a wall climb to get in & now with the slider I added can step up with little effort. And that just comes straight out from where your factory sliders are. Lower would be easier, but I didnt want to give up the ground clearance. & especially not anything sticking down to create an artifical catch point that wouldnt otherwise be there.

If I had the cash I would go with the rockslide ones. They are the best of both worlds I think https://rockslideengineering.com/product/step-slider-set-for-jeep-gladiator-jt/ Just spendy

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Yeah, agreed, those are mall crawler or fire road only steps (nothing wrong with those things if that's what you want). Around here almost every trail would have you either working hard to avoid rocks, or rip those apart. Which part of NV are you in? You guys have some rocks like here, and some super flat spaces.

Nevadabackroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geologist
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, agreed, those are mall crawler or fire road only steps (nothing wrong with those things if that's what you want). Around here almost every trail would have you either working hard to avoid rocks, or rip those apart. Which part of NV are you in? You guys have some rocks like here, and some super flat spaces.
Yes, I'm aware of the compromise, and I am reluctant to give up the rock rails. As I said, it's a compromise. We do live and play in the mountains.
The Gladiator will be my wife's primary vehicle. As such, she isn't going to do any serious rock crawling, at least until it has a few 'Nevada Pin Stripes'. We still have the Wrangler for that.

In a few years, if the Gladiator is relegated to a weekend recreational toy, I'd replace the steps with the rock sliders. But as long as we have the Wrangler, that isn't likely to happen.

Nevadabackroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geologist
Vehicle Showcase
Remember that those are not sliders. They are just steps & if you are using the jeep offroad your likely to catch those steps hanging down like that & rip them off possibly damaging the body in the process..

I have to contend with short folks as well. We have a 9 year old who getting in & out was having to basically do a wall climb to get in & now with the slider I added can step up with little effort. And that just comes straight out from where your factory sliders are. Lower would be easier, but I didnt want to give up the ground clearance. & especially not anything sticking down to create an artifical catch point that wouldnt otherwise be there.

If I had the cash I would go with the rockslide ones. They are the best of both worlds I think https://rockslideengineering.com/product/step-slider-set-for-jeep-gladiator-jt/ Just spendy
I had already looked closely at that solution. But when I read the fine print, I see ' / Rubicon require additional skid plates to protect the step sliders. Part number AX-SS-SP-JT4 ' That additional part is another $600 plus all the additional installation.
Sponsored