First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator overland
Occupation
Accountant
I take it off all the time. Although our current preferred method of summer travel is tube doors with the top on. never had any leaking no issues, no rattles or squeaaks.
Sponsored

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
Took ours off this weekend to put the Coverking headliner in and put it back on when complete. Driven it several times since then and no rattles or squeaks.

BtrLtThnNvr

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2008 JKU
that was my childhood hangout, that and Coast Guard beach, thank you for the memories
Glad I could share - great times out there! Amazing to get away from everyone else and hang out with the jeeps over sand. Just watch out for all the seals and the sharks!

RatZer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JT
Occupation
Manufacturing Stellantis
Whenever I get a new Jeep, I’ll flip the top over when I get some time/opportunity and lay a 1/2in line of rubber caulking on the bottom. Just enough thickness to cover the bottom. When the top goes back on it creates a seal and prevents squeaking. Did it along the side edges of the Freedom tops this time as well.

Sponsored

amosier

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
This sounds like an issue of operator error. never had a single problem.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Squeaking sounds like the bolts are tightened unevenly. If you tighten them one at a time by the time you get to the last one then the first ones will be loose because you'll have seated the top more solidly on the truck. Better to install all bolts hand-tight and then go back to finish tightening them up snug (but not overly tight).

JeepFam

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
His: 2020 Gladiator, 2004 Wrangler X; Hers: 2004 Liberty
I switched between hard and soft tops about every 6 months on my 2003 Wrangler (TJ) for years, and have continued to do so on my Gladiator since 2019, with no issues. At least none that I would say are endemic to the design or practice of swapping tops. An occasional squeak or air-gap MAYBE, but nothing I couldn't address with the turn of a wrench - or ignore until time to swap out again. I know it's cliché, but this is about as close as you can get to a true "Jeep thing". Either you like it or you don't.

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrical Engineering Technician US Army Special Operations Command
I've removed mine several times and had no issues. I did notice after the first time I replaced it there was a rattle, which was fixed my completely tightening the bolts.

Sponsored

JeffInFLA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Gladiator Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I was informed once that it would not be smart to remove the roof on a Gladiator/ Wrangler because once the seal is broken it will never go back on the same. Does anybody have experience with this or was this bad info?
By the way… I’m convinced that anyone who would tell you this is just jealous of the awesomeness that is your Jeep! :jk:

Seems to me someone is trying to stamp out your fun! That deserves a quick throat punch, in my book! ROFL

Merrick

First Name
Merrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JT Willys, 2020 Jeep JL Sport S
Occupation
Sales Manager
Why would anyone buy a convertible and then not take the top off is beyond me. With that being said I haven't completely taken my top off my JT yet (2 months of ownership) as I haven't made room in the garage yet to store it while it's off. There are times I miss having a soft top Jeep, it's a lot easier, but a lot noisier too. However, with that being said the top is engineered and designed to be removed. The seal is not a one time use product, but like everything else does take routine maintenance and care. Make sure you clean the gasket periodically and the mating surfaces, even some dirt or sand will affect the seal. Take your time putting the top on and make sure everything is aligned is also important. There is simply nothing special about the seal from the factory other than all surfaces were clean and new when it was put together.
Most squeaks are from the seals around the doors. A light coating of silicon grease does the trick.

RealMcCoy

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
Occupation
Retired
Most squeaks are from the seals around the doors. A light coating of silicon grease does the trick.
Yes, WallyWorld, sells some spray in the RV section to rejuvenate the seals on vehicles. Great stuff btw…..

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
I was informed once that it would not be smart to remove the roof on a Gladiator/ Wrangler because once the seal is broken it will never go back on the same. Does anybody have experience with this or was this bad info?
I’ve removed mine a number of times (26k miles) and no leaking issues. When reinstalling, you do have to make sure it is aligned and sits square. Tighten the bolts out of sequence (two center bolts, two top front bolts, far right, far left, etc. Also important to store it fully supported. I built a rack to store it on.

83CC3B5B-D010-464D-B897-6C7CDF8E6B7C.jpeg

9DFC4FA7-8AD3-4646-9BAF-46B935574B6F.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Bad bad info. Tons of Jeeps around here with no roof - no problems.
These are MADE to be taken off and put back on. The seal is that sort.
How about this - never take the T-tops out of your Camaro or Firebird, never put the convertible top back on your (insert car name here) or never open your trunk lid on your car. I could go on with all of the removable parts on dozens of vehicles.

Tighten bolts evenly, don't start at one side and work across. I approach it like any other sequence of bolts. I usually do the final tightening starting with middle bolts on the back and working outward, not from the outside in.

Jeep Gladiator Roof removal breaks seal? 20200714_165608_HDR
Sponsored