Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
Getting the rack setup for the Gladiator (Photo from the JCR site). The first time down this road and everything seems to point to Rotopax.

Just curious about what the alternatives are.

From an expense standpoint, I am looking at $200 for four locks, plus another $200 +/- for four packs (Water, Fuel, Storage, First Aid).

I am also surprised at all the comments about the First Aid and the Storage not being watertight. Chuck of change for water inside.

Not the end of the world, and will go that route unless I see some better options but it looks like they pretty much own the game.

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 10.32.58 AM.png
Sponsored

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
The Rotopax system is great if you are limited on space. If you have room for the jerry can style of containers, I feel those are a better way to go. I've had a gas and water Rotopax on the back of my JKUR for years now and I dread having to use the gas one every time I need to. If it is hot out, it seems to swell up and is hard to remove from the mount (and I'm not over filling it). My gas one is also really hard to open... like I have to use a crescent wrench to open it. My water one is not like that. Finally, the high tech nozzle is a PITA to use and I have to mess with it constantly to get it to even work. Maybe my gas one is just a lemon, but it is definitely not worth the cost to me. They do look cool though. lol

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
I am also surprised at all the comments about the First Aid and the Storage not being watertight. Chuck of change for water inside.
If you look closely at the pictures of the storage rotopax you can see there's nothing to seal the door when it's closed, just plastic on plastic. It might be possible to fashion a gasket out of silicon or some of that flex seal tape stuff.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Reactions: TYJ

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
I have a couple gas and water rotopax. I am not overly impressed with them either. I feel the 2 gal capacity is insufficient and the 4 gal design takes too much surface area. I find that the rotopax warp and become hard to remove. Swelling also as pointed out above. My pour mechanisms seem to work ok but they are a pain to use. Overall I don’t recommend these and will not buy more. I think the jerry can approach is likely better. For water on a short day trip these work fine but for multi day these are insufficient as I take 7 gal containers. When I bought these I was impressed by the mounting options but honestly I am not finding them to be a significant advantage over other more traditional container and strapping options.

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Scepter Military containers are a great way to go but you need to buy them used

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Getting the rack setup for the Gladiator (Photo from the JCR site). The first time down this road and everything seems to point to Rotopax.

Just curious about what the alternatives are.

From an expense standpoint, I am looking at $200 for four locks, plus another $200 +/- for four packs (Water, Fuel, Storage, First Aid).

Not the end of the world, and will go that route unless I see some better options but it looks like they pretty much own the game.
Wavian gas cans

https://wavianusa.com/products/steel-fuel-jerry-can

Scepter water cans:

https://www.scepter.com/products/mi...llon-20-litre-military-water-container-05935/

Rotocaca.
Sponsored