Sponsored

Modify Overland or Order Mojave?

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Entirely depends on use case scenario. I personally wouldn't make use of the Mojave shocks or extra welds so wouldn't pay extra for them. I also would want to lift the truck beyond what the Mojave shocks can manage and then you're neutering the thing you paid so dearly for, the shocks. Or you are adding shock adaptors to make your pricey shocks kinda sorta work with your lift kit. Of course if you will never lift it and run washboard stuff at speed then the Mojave makes sense, kinda. But if I were running washboard at speed I would want IFS, so there is that too. Otherwise, I would pass. YMMV.

Doesn't really matter so much what the shocks sell for retail if you aren't the type of person to make full use of them. But if you are then do it. If you aren't then don't bother.
Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
i meant the front axle. Dana 44 assemblies arent cheap. Comparable shocks from Icon are over $2k Plus another 650-700 for the bump stops. So yeah, you can get a “max tow” and get a 4.10 rear and spend several thousand on out of warranty suspension and front axle; and it still isnt a Mojave.

There is no making a Mojave on the cheap even if you start with a Rubicon. Going down the scale further only makes it more so. You may not think its worth it, you may not think you need it, but thats not the question the OP is asking.

the question he is asking is which one is better for overlanding, and the answer is the Mojave.
But if you want to lift the truck you are then making sacrifices on all those expensive shock bits with adaptors to make them still work.

If your goal is to just keep it as is and run fast chop and want a Gladiator then sure. If you're going to lift it a decent amount and accommodate the then limited shocks by using shock adaptors which will then limit the articulation you just paid for in the lift, then I dunno why anyone would bother. Tall fast chop with travel that doesn't match the lift? Meh. Get a Raptor or TRX at that point.

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
But if you want to lift the truck you are then making sacrifices on all those expensive shock bits with adaptors to make them still work.

If your goal is to just keep it as is and run fast chop and want a Gladiator then sure. If you're going to lift it a decent amount and accommodate the then limited shocks by using shock adaptors which will then limit the articulation you just paid for in the lift, then I dunno why anyone would bother. Tall fast chop with travel that doesn't match the lift? Meh. Get a Raptor or TRX at that point.
Youve mentioned limited articulation a couple times before, and Im not sure where your data or view point is coming from?

Im interested what data you have/sources for comparison, but from what ive been able to gather from Fox and other sources:

-The mojave shocks have more travel than the mopar lift shocks do. ~9” vs 10”. I didnt bother to measure, but i guess i could at somepoint if its really a big deal to folks.

-The metal cloak gc suspension is probably the best articulating suspension out there with the most travel. Its a soft suspension, so you ruin your payload that you were concerned about. I get why people want a GC, but theres too many compromises there for me just to get over rocks a little better. Obviously someone who rocks a ton may weight that priority differently.

-The icons have an inch more travel at 11”, iirc, but digressive valving kinda sucks, and they compensate by making the shocks stiff and/or adding adjusters. They also market digressive valving as this big deal, but only do it to one side of the piston and even then only to a limited amount. Theyre basically standard linear shocks, albeit high quality. Doesnt seem worth it to me for 1” of travel.

The only shock im aware of with as much or more travel that are better than the mojave are the fox 3.0’s at $5-6k. You can get close with fox 2.5’s and accutune butterfly stacks, and that will give you a little more travel...and extra inch/inch and a half depending on lift height i think. If i didnt have a Mojave, 2.5 DSC’s with those butterfly’s is what i would get if not getting used mojave ones.

Everything else is a compromise of some sort, so spend big or pick where you most need the benefit. I may change shocks eventually if adjustable bypass shocks become more readily available, but for my uses for now, an extra inch or two of travel isnt worth losing everything else these do. The truck performs awesome off road and even better on road. None of the fox 2.0’s or 2.5’s, none of the icons, none of the falcons drive as well as these do, full stop. And making a shock longer doesnt always give a 1:1 increase in travel.

Different folks may well prioritize different features than a bypass for their uses and Mojave shocks arent the only excellent units on the market. but theyre damn good and hard to beat at any price- much less the price they can be had for.

All that said, i do also get that we want to minimize what the Mojave brings to the table as much as possible to help some feel comfortable, which i think is the main driver of most anti-mojave arguments.

Last edited:

Sponsored

2021-JT-Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
what price did you find locally on taking the body off and welding in the frame reinforcements and what does the dana 44 axle assembly cost to add?

there’s a lot more to the Mojave than the über expensive shocks and special springs.
not to mentioned the much better seat bolstering and steering wheel...I even find the Mojave seat bolstering marginal at best, the other trims are just bad.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
not to mentioned the much better seat bolstering and steering wheel...I even find the Mojave seat bolstering marginal at best, the other trims are just bad.
Any more and fat people complain about it.

sdtkeld

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave Sarge Green
Occupation
Grocery bagger
As a new Mojave owner, I’ll throw in my two cents. My family didn‘t condone me buying a car that would go fast on pavement, as I would most likely kill myself in two weeks, so I bought one that would go faster off-road. The cost of buying two Raptors, and the equipment to cut the top off and put a roll bar on one, was rather high. Also, I work a lot and don’t have unlimited time to put 8000 mods on my truck.
I just want to rip down the class B roads where I live and enjoy myself when I get the little spare time I have available. When it came down to it, the price difference on the options I wanted was within 5k of a max tow sport s, Leather seats included. Long story short, it’s your money, your needs, your wants.
No regrets from this guy, if you’re within your means, do it.

Last edited:

sdtkeld

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave Sarge Green
Occupation
Grocery bagger
And my gas mileage has been fine.

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
Can’t decide if should just add lift, track bars and all the other stuff needed to give good clearance for 35’s and maintain off road ability and ride on the Overland or just order a new Mojave (same appointment) as overland but no modification needed to just change tires to 35’s and done. Difference in price after lift and all is only about 3-5k. My biggest concern would be loss of fuel efficiency and comfort as it is a daily driver 60+ miles a day. Also maintain good warranty.
Mojave 💯

Sponsored

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Any more and fat people complain about it.
True story. My wife has had VWs for her past several vehicles and they have fantastically bolstered seats that hold you in place on curves, but the ”rounder“ passengers we’ve had don’t find them very comfortable.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
True story. My wife has had VWs for her past several vehicles and they have fantastically bolstered seats that hold you in place on curves, but the ”rounder“ passengers we’ve had don’t find them very comfortable.
Which is their fault, and you shouldnt care. 🤷🏼‍♂️

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
If I didn't care about money...Mojave.
I got a wicked good deal on my overland and knew it was not going to be an off road vehicle....at least no where near mojave capability. Even if adding the mojave shocks/bump stops I would still be way under the MSRP. The frame reinforcement meant little given my intended use.

My grand point, every situation is different...I probably would still have bought my overland because I caught the dealer in a pricing mistake and they were cool enough to honor it.