F3Orangeman

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTOD, ’02 F-150 SCrew
Occupation
Stay-at-Home Financial Analyst (thanks to COVID)
I am finally ready to pull the trigger on a custom order JT, but I can’t decide on the Mojave or Overland Diesel. Cost-wise, the JTM is only $2k more than the JTOD build, so using purchase price as a deciding factor doesn’t help too much, plus the JTOD will have to have bigger A/T tires out of the gate. I am good with the wheels on both, just want 33s on the JTOD. I also want the black textured fender flares that are standard on the Mojave.

My use case is, once I am back in the office, a 30 minute one way daily drive 50/50 interstate/city. Weekend trips of a couple hours, and short trips to the local Lowes for projects. I am currently driving a ‘14 Cherokee, so there is only so much I can haul right now, but you’d be surprised how well small amounts of 10’ and 12’ lumber can be safely carried. I have a 3500 mile trip in the works for the summer pulling a u-haul. Separately, i plan on putting on a bed rack/tent, or pull an overland tent/trailer. Little to no rock crawling, although Uwharrie is only 90 minutes away.

Based on my research, pluses of the JTOD are better MPG (not for the cost savings, just for the fuel savings), 500 lb higher towing capacity and 500 lb more payload, torque, just a better tow vehicle overall, and get to modify for the look i want. Negatives are cost of maintenance and cost of fixing stuff after warranty, never owned a diesel and it appears from my readings that you need to pay more attention to things (regens, DEF, other stuff I don’t know about), oh, and I have to modify for the look I want.

Pluses for the JTM are the ride, the suspension, built beefier, the look “out of the box”, the light gray leather seats, and no mods needed. Negatives are MPGs, especially towing, are going to suck, and I don’t need to modify (what fun is that).

What I guess it really comes down to is that I’m leaning towards the JTOD, but I would be heading into unfamiliar territory with a diesel. Welcome your thoughts and opinions, especially from those that are new to the diesel.
Sponsored

MojaveAZ2020

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Training Manager
I have the Mojave and absolutely love it. I avg 17-8 mpg...that's mainly around town because my wife drives it the most. The ride is amazing on and off road.

I see your in NC, that is where I grew up but I now live in the desert of Arizona. So the Mojave is absolutely a blast to run really fast through the desert...plus I have gone on many trails that required 4L and it did absolutely phenomenal. NO complaints.

I think a desert run equivalent in NC would be through a tobacco or any farm field side road with lots of ruts and washboard...you could fly through them. Also NC has some great mountain trails as well. And you can't forget the drivable beaches...Mojave's love sand ;).

I cannot speak for the diesel but I do hear good things about it. However, I feel you get more product (beefier frame. suspension, hood) with the Mojave.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
With your commute and towing, I would go with the diesel. I've driven both and found the Mojave to be a little too floaty for me, but everyone has their own preferences on ride feel. I prefer to feel more planted, particularly when towing or driving highway speeds. Drive both and pick the ride you prefer, they are both purpose built vehicles. The diesel cost is somewhat mitigated to me by the 5yr/100k powertrain warranty. I would definitely extend the powertrain (5yr/60k) on the Mojave, so I figure that is saving me $1500.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to modify and tow with it, I say get the Overland.

Having said that, based on everything I’ve read, the EcoDiesel is not all a bed of roses. The first few ones appear to have had an inordinate amount of issues. But, seeing that the number of complaints have quieted down, it’d seem that FCA moved quickly to fix them.

I think Mojave looks badass. I know I can fully utilize Rubicon’s capabilities on a number of trails; I just don’t know how realistic it is that I would ever get to use Mojave’s full potential.

At the end of the day, you can make any Gladiator look as badass as you want. The only limits being money, time and imagination.

Good luck.

shyoung1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave(SOLD) 2023 F350 Superduty
I think you should drive both before deciding.
Towing isn’t important to me for the Mojave, because my Superduty does that.
I believe the Mojave I have on order is only rated at 4500 lbs towing? But it does come with 4:10 gears, but maybe the torque of the diesel makes up for the gears.
Drive both is my suggestion.

Sponsored

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
Imagine a Mo'jave diesel with a manual....
As for your question, really different vehicles and hard to decide for you. It kind of depends on where you want to spend the money. I love a diesel option, but for me it would be a $6000 increase and no manual......

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
OK here's a question for the OP: why the Overland? It seems the Rubicon or maybe a Willys edition might check more boxes than what you are considering so far?

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport Eco-d
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
I had similar needs and went with the eco-d. The main deciding factor being the distance towing of a diesel.

I've towed completely across the country and learned many things because of which but here's my point... It is going to tow similarly between the two Jeeps in terms of handling characteristics. As for pulling characteristics the diesel wins all day everyday. When towing long distance you want as little annoyances as possible, you want things easier so you can relax a bit to make the haul go by quicker.

I say give the diesel a shot, if it's not all you want it to be and becomes too much of a pain in the butt for ya, trade it in for the gasser. You won't loose much money.

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
If your going to tow, get the Diesel.

If not, Mojave

OP
OP
F3Orangeman

F3Orangeman

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTOD, ’02 F-150 SCrew
Occupation
Stay-at-Home Financial Analyst (thanks to COVID)
OK here's a question for the OP: why the Overland? It seems the Rubicon or maybe a Willys edition might check more boxes than what you are considering so far?
Thanks for all the comments, all the extra information is valuable.

Great question, and both the Rubicon and Willys were considered. The Rubicon just gets too expensive in the diesel when I add all the options and packages I want, which is a lot. I am fully-optioning, minus the two safety packages, which puts the Rubicon about 4K above the Mojave, 6K above the Overland. Likewise, the Willys is missing a couple of things I kinda view as non-negotiable, specifically factory leather which includes rear armrest (needed for the kids!), body-colored hard top, and proximity keyless entry (I love this feature on my Cherokee).

Sponsored

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
Thanks for all the comments, all the extra information is valuable.

Great question, and both the Rubicon and Willys were considered. The Rubicon just gets too expensive in the diesel when I add all the options and packages I want, which is a lot. I am fully-optioning, minus the two safety packages, which puts the Rubicon about 4K above the Mojave, 6K above the Overland. Likewise, the Willys is missing a couple of things I kinda view as non-negotiable, specifically factory leather which includes rear armrest (needed for the kids!), body-colored hard top, and proximity keyless entry (I love this feature on my Cherokee).
I ran into the same thing about 'factory leather with the rear arm rest' because I really wanted to do a custom leather seat interior. I ended up with a fully optioned gas 2020 overland back in August.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I considered the diesel vs the Mojave when I purchased, Mojave won out for me because it would cost more for me to upgrade the diesel suspension to close to the Mojave than it would to throw a supercharger on the Mojave. Will just have to make sure I keep some extra fuel on board for long trips.
Sponsored