Sponsored

Rough Country Hard Low Profile Tonneau or Bakflip MX4? Help me decide.

SC Doberman

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I’ve narrowed down my choices to these two. Any opinions?
Sponsored

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
All I can tell you is that the Rough Country hard cover works great. Pretty easy to install, and it doesn't leak hardly at all. I think the leakage I've seen was from the tailgate and not from the actual tonneau cover.

OP
OP
SC Doberman

SC Doberman

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I received my MX4 today. One rail had no gasket and both rails were too long. Very frustrating.
2C48B01A-BA27-4253-A521-78AC653D4B8D.jpeg
F5A2EBF8-B0B3-4557-860E-FD04881C534E.jpeg

MyRight

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom, 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
I'm frustrated watching all of these stupid youtube videos of guys giving an install and review, as I'm not getting the information I am looking for.
They're calling these videos "reviews" when all they do is show you how to install it.

How durable is the aluminum surface? Is it prone to dings and dents? I've seen a few that had underside damage, but it seems that everyone that does the reviews are biased because that is what they paid good money for. I want to make sure it'll hold up to the test of time and not look like crap after a couple of years.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SC Doberman

SC Doberman

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm frustrated watching all of these stupid youtube videos of guys giving an install and review, as I'm not getting the information I am looking for.
They're calling these videos "reviews" when all they do is show you how to install it.

How durable is the aluminum surface? Is it prone to dings and dents? I've seen a few that had underside damage, but it seems that everyone that does the reviews are biased because that is what they paid good money for. I want to make sure it'll hold up to the test of time and not look like crap after a couple of years.
Well I can tell you this. I just installed my second one last night. Second because my first one had QC issues, Missing seal and rails were too long. The second one showed up with QC issues as well, rails too long, scratched up rail surface and missing rail end caps. I cut the rails myself and made it work. Waiting on the caps to be sent and I’ll put them on when they arrive. I can’t really give you a review beings how I’ve had it on less than 24 hours but it does seems like a solid unit. I know this isn’t probably what you’re looking for but hope it helps a little. Also, I’d like to give a shout-out to Alex at Real Truck. It’s not his or RealTrucks fault how these units are coming from BAK. He’s been awesome with CS that I have received.
Jeep Gladiator Rough Country Hard Low Profile Tonneau or Bakflip MX4?  Help me decide. F5FD59B9-37BF-4E79-B123-304E480A852B

MyRight

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom, 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
During my search, I also came across the Gator EFX that looks comparable to the Rough Country, some say they are one and the same product. I actually found a decent review...
https://truckcoverexpert.com/gator-efx-hard-fold-tonneau-cover-review/

Then there is the Bakflip MX4, that will set you back and additional $300+, but the difference is it will support 400 lbs of distributed weight compared to 300 distributed weight of the Gator EFX.
I thought that the MX4 is using a higher grade or thicker panels.
I found out the shipping weight of the Bakflip MX4 is 71 lbs compared to 70 lbs for the Gator EFX.
I was hoping the shipping weight would give a clear indicator that one had better/thicker panels than the other, but that appears to be a wash. I chatted with one of the sale's guy for Bakflip and he said the panel thickness is the same, just the MX4 has upgraded rails and seals for the extra weight support.
I don't ever plan on using the top to carry anything, so the more expense of the MX4 doesn't seem worth it to me. I'm mostly concerned with denting.
The MX4 and EFX have an upper and lower aluminum panel with the inner core of dense foam, whereas the Diamondback SE uses .080" alloy aluminum.
I'm almost now leaning towards the Diamondback, even though it is $1700 and not as slimline...I feel it is a high quality cover and will stand the test of time.
Sponsored