First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 23 GCL, 15 Cherokee TH
Occupation
Construction
I've been debating ordering one, but for the dollar I am leery after hearing all of this... Sure wish they came in white with windows!
Sponsored

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
So I ordered my RSI Evo Sport on 3/13 from Northridge 4x4 and was told then the lead time was 30 days. I’m now at nearly 60 days and nobody has any idea when the cap will ship. I reached out to Northridge 4x4 a few times and they keep telling me they will check on it (but never get back to me). Today I called Keystone, the US distributor, and they tell me the last RSI shipment was received in March and it is currently on back order. I recognize that Northridge and Keystone are not at fault here and it really falls on RSI to be more transparent in terms of the shipment plan. I paid in full in March using Affirm and have already made a couple payments - not a big deal, but adds to the frustration. I know the Sportcap is a great product, but with the rubber shim issue and the lack of effective communication on the shipping plan, I can only say, RSI you can do better. Anyone else experiencing similar challenges?
I am very sorry that our reps haven't gotten back to you. That is definitely not the way we want to be doing things. If you want to send me a PM with your order number I can reach out and try to get a better ETA for you.

Bwitherel

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I am very sorry that our reps haven't gotten back to you. That is definitely not the way we want to be doing things. If you want to send me a PM with your order number I can reach out and try to get a better ETA for you.
I appreciate it. I did hear back from a rep at 7:30 this evening. The Northridge rep tells me that RSI is expecting a Gladiator shipment on 5/26 and again on 6/15. Encouraging news at least. Fingers crossed that my cap is on one of those shipments.

AKID_RBM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 23 GCL, 15 Cherokee TH
Occupation
Construction
Anyone painted one of these? Or wrapped it?

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I took my hardtop off with the cap on, straight up and took it towards rear.
I did this in a Wendy’s parking lot with a forum member named Chris, we swapped entire hard tops my tinted window for his Sport base model untinted window , my view out the back much better now only looking through one tinted window. One thing is I’m six foot and Chris was 6’5”, I would not want to do if I was any shorter, but hey park along a curb and have short guy on that side.....Jack
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap 625FA904-F1E8-4421-98A6-AB8648A6E621

Sponsored

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible
I took my hardtop off with the cap on, straight up and took it towards rear.
I did this in a Wendy’s parking lot with a forum member named Chris, we swapped entire hard tops my tinted window for his Sport base model untinted window , my view out the back much better now only looking through one tinted window. One thing is I’m six foot and Chris was 6’5”, I would not want to do if I was any shorter, but hey park along a curb and have short guy on that side.....Jack
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap 625FA904-F1E8-4421-98A6-AB8648A6E621
How does it ride, Jack? Any weird noises or wind issues against the glass or anything? Think I’ll give it a go once the current storm passes.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I didn't drive with top off, just two guys in a lot swapping tops probably took twenty minutes all together and then we went our seperate ways. I would think it would be less noisey then with the freedom paanels off and top on, as the air would have more "escape" area.

QuickOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Tried replacing the spacers today with something taller - 3/4” 70 durometer rubber pads from McMaster. It didn’t work. I get 5/8” after compression, which is more than RSI recommends, and I still can’t close the tailgate or rear hatch without it messing up the gasket. I have to close both together, and the side gasket pieces still pull under.

When is this going to be corrected? So annoying on a $3700 cap…

Pics attached.

33BEE2AA-F4A1-431C-BFF3-2F5CBD983D26.jpeg

5CE047F2-7CEC-4E55-9C66-67DCAF316C45.jpeg

A1C4CF33-0B6A-4528-8E14-4619D4B2026D.jpeg

bhadfield

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Tried replacing the spacers today with something taller - 3/4” 70 durometer rubber pads from McMaster. It didn’t work. I get 5/8” after compression, which is more than RSI recommends, and I still can’t close the tailgate or rear hatch without it messing up the gasket. I have to close both together, and the side gasket pieces still pull under.

When is this going to be corrected? So annoying on a $3700 cap…

Pics attached.

Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap A1C4CF33-0B6A-4528-8E14-4619D4B2026D

I had a similar experience and had to go to a 7/8" spacer that compressed down to about 3/4" and then take a little bit of pressure off the rear clamps to get it fitting better. Mine is tight but I can easily open and close the SmartCap door and tailgate now. Hope you can get it figured out soon, once you have it dialed-in I think you'll really like the SmartCap.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
I had a similar experience and had to go to a 7/8" spacer that compressed down to about 3/4" and then take a little bit of pressure off the rear clamps to get it fitting better. Mine is tight but I can easily open and close the SmartCap door and tailgate now. Hope you can get it figured out soon, once you have it dialed-in I think you'll really like the SmartCap.
I used 20mm pads and could only get 5Nm. Anymore torque on the clamps and it would have squished the plastic side rails too much.

Sponsored

QuickOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used 20mm pads and could only get 5Nm. Anymore torque on the clamps and it would have squished the plastic side rails too much.
Do you feel like it's tight enough not to move around at that torque level? I'm putting an RTT on top (170lbs), so just a bit concerned about it shifting with the extra weight.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Do you feel like it's tight enough not to move around at that torque level? I'm putting an RTT on top (170lbs), so just a bit concerned about it shifting with the extra weight.
I share the same concern once I get to a RTT. At the moment it seems stable, but make that call for yourself. I pushed and pulled on it, but not sure what sort of forces driving, aero and forbid an accident would exert on it. I’m playing with shims now to get the remaining torque on it. Once I figure that out, I’ll put them all around and call it a day.

It feels as though RSI mocked it up without torquing the clamps to determine the shim size. Once torqued, the recommended shims no longer provide enough clearance in my case.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
I share the same concern once I get to a RTT. At the moment it seems stable, but make that call for yourself. I pushed and pulled on it, but not sure what sort of forces driving, aero and forbid an accident would exert on it. I’m playing with shims now to get the remaining torque on it. Once I figure that out, I’ll put them all around and call it a day.

It feels as though RSI mocked it up without torquing the clamps to determine the shim size. Once torqued, the recommended shims no longer provide enough clearance in my case.
I think we’ll have to do this all again once we add the weight of the RTT. From what I’ve seen, it’s the plastic bed side caps that deform. Another 170 lbs and they are likely to deform some more. At some point they either have to flatten out or break.

QuickOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think we’ll have to do this all again once we add the weight of the RTT. From what I’ve seen, it’s the plastic bed side caps that deform. Another 170 lbs and they are likely to deform some more. At some point they either have to flatten out or break.
Or you need a large enough spacer that the deformation of the bed cap plus the height of the rear gate seal are offset by the spacer.

Makes me wonder how ARE does it on their caps.
Sponsored