Sponsored

RTT overnight rest stop, while traveling?

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Still new to overlanding and rtt in general, but I have gotten some use of my rtt recently. Farthest I've gone was 3 hrs from home on a trip with some friends. Yes, there were amenities. But I plan on visiting the surrounding states (live in FL) and have a question:

If I need to rest up, whether couple hrs or overnight, before getting to my destination, are there any such quick stops off the highways? Pretty much most rest stops only allow in vehicle sleep and limited to up to 3 hrs, then u gotta go. Only takes 5-10 min to setup, then break down. Otherwise, ill just make sure to plan my trips accordingly and in good detail.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Please don't laugh when I ask this, but does "RTT" mean "recreational travel trailer" in this context? If it does, I might be able to offer some info for you to check out. I don't want to look stupid and do so if it means something else, though!

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha. Thanks for the info!

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
I donā€™t know all that much about the camping/ camper topic but Iā€™m pretty sure Walmart letā€™s RVā€™s of all kinds to overnight for free in their parking lots and you get the benefit of whatever they use for store security.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Unlike Florida, most States do not have night time security in their rest stops..

I would avoid camping overnight in a rest stop like the plaque.

If you are one who plans out their trips down to the minute, I would recommend KOA's. I believe you can get a membership that offers discounts. They are located just about everywhere. Almost always have open primitive camping spots. Most are open 24/7.

That would give you somewhere relatively safe, off the beaten path, with shower houses.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I friend of mine who drives a lot will find a road off the highway and pull off and sleep there he has found some really nice spots where no one has travelled in a long time.

OP
OP
LordEnzo

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know I could always rest in the vehicle, but being able to spread out in the tent, which mine is quite comfy, would allow me to rest easier. Thanks for the replies.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
I donā€™t know all that much about the camping/ camper topic but Iā€™m pretty sure Walmart letā€™s RVā€™s of all kinds to overnight for free in their parking lots and you get the benefit of whatever they use for store security.
I have slept in a roof top tent on top of a van in a Walmart parking lot before.

If you do that, just check in with the customer service desk first to make sure it is ok and just let them know you will be there overnight.

Plus, you can use their restrooms and stock up on supplies.

Sponsored

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
MikešŸ–¤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I sleep in the RTT all the time in various places, such as parking lots or rest stops. Download iOverlander and you can find campsites with reviews and pictures. These range from actual campsites, to parking lots, or even just random cool spots in the wilderness.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
I spent many years on the road. Never slept at a rest area overnight without my dog or a gun, usually both and still slept with one eye open. And that is in a locked truck. Well lit, highly exposed, high traffic rest stops should be a safer option, but sleeping at those is tough.
WalMart is definitely safer and they are everywhere. I never thought to check in with Customer Service that is a good call.
Just FYI, human trafficking is on the rise again. Rest areas, WalMarts, anything with easy access to an interstate is a potential abduction site. Please watch your children!

OP
OP
LordEnzo

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spent many years on the road. Never slept at a rest area overnight without my dog or a gun, usually both and still slept with one eye open. And that is in a locked truck. Well lit, highly exposed, high traffic rest stops should be a safer option, but sleeping at those is tough.
WalMart is definitely safer and they are everywhere. I never thought to check in with Customer Service that is a good call.
Just FYI, human trafficking is on the rise again. Rest areas, WalMarts, anything with easy access to an interstate is a potential abduction site. Please watch your children!
Like u I would at least have my side arm within arms reach. Sometimes u just want to get to ur destination asap, but u get bit by the sleepy bug and just need a quick power nap. Thats all I'm concerned about.

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
I popped mine up at a rest stop in Utah a few weeks ago. I had mapped out a public land spot to stop at, but when I got there it was in a super sketchy area and didn't feel great about it...so I went to a nearby rest stop instead (yes, the rest stop was less sketch...haha). There were bright lights around the parking lot and some loud semi trucks coming and going, but I kept my tent windows zipped mostly all the way up and slept quite well.

Didn't have anyone bother me at all and was able to hop out and get on the road right away in the morning. Would do again in a pinch without hesitation, plus most other rest stops I've stopped at would be better suited for a RTT nap compared to this one in Utah (more trees, less wind/sand, etc).

We also did have a handgun up in the tent with us, just in case. Not a bad idea to keep handy when sleeping anywhere with lots of people coming and going.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Jeez, Iā€˜ve driven across Canada a couple of times and have never felt unsafe at a rest stop. Certainly not enough to wish I had a handgun close by. Is it really that sketchy in the US? Or are the rest stops you are talking about near sketchy cities and not in rural areas? No judgement, just asking in case I am just naive as I hope to do some exploring in the US one day.
Sponsored