Rubicon - Plastic bumper to Steel Bumper Conversion

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Hello, I just finished converting my Gladiator Rubicon Manual with stock LEDs from the Plastic Bumper to the Mopar 3 piece Steel bumper. To do this conversion, you need to order 3 or 4 main parts - Steel Bumper, Steel Skid plate that connects to the steel bumper, plastic filler piece, and new license plate mount (if required by your state). This will get you everything you need except for bolts. You will be 2 bolts shy. If you also order the Mopar bull/light bar, then, it comes with an additional 4 - 45T torx bolts that you do not need because the bumper already comes with it. Therefore you can use the torx bolts that come with the bull bar to come up with the 5 bolts that are needed to attach the skid plate to the steel bumper. This will give you all Torx bolts for the skid plate tie in. Note - you also need to take off the 2 brackets that are used to hold up the old skid plate, these are not used anymore. I screwed the extra bolts from the 2 brackets I took off into the frame.
Here are the part numbers:

1. Steel Front Bumper - 82215121AC
2. Steel Skid Plate for Steel Bumper - 68293984AB
3. Plastic Close out Panel for Steel bumper - 6BU43RXFAB
4. Steel Brush Guard, bull bar, light bar - 82215351
5. Front License Plate holder for Steel Bumper (different than the Plastic Bumper one) - 68295610AA

If you do not order the Brush guard, you can use the regular bolts below to tie into the skid plate. You can see what these black bolts look like at the rear of my skid plate picture. They are regular hex bolts. My skid plate tie in bolts are all torx bolts because I used the extra torx bolts from the bull/light bar.

Extra regular hex bolts (non torx) are - 651287AA - can be used for all the skid plate bolts
Extra Nuts - U type that slide onto the metal panel - 6105244AA - normally, you will not need these unless you strip one. The steel bumper comes with these u-nuts already installed.

Here are some pics:

xYCLkz.jpg

LXaKbn.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Nice! I'm on the verge of doing the same. I knew you needed the skid plate, what's the plastic filler piece all about? I wasn't aware you needed more bolts either!

OP
OP
hjdca

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Nice! I'm on the verge of doing the same. I knew you needed the skid plate, what's the plastic filler piece all about? I wasn't aware you needed more bolts either!
Look at your plastic bumper from the top. There is a filler piece behind the bumper that hooks into the frame with plastic plugs. For the steel bumper, this filler piece is a different shape, so, you need to order it. Here is a pic:

6m5yXp.jpg

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Look at your plastic bumper from the top. There is a filler piece behind the bumper that hooks into the frame with plastic plugs. For the steel bumper, this filler piece is a different shape, so, you need to order it. Here is a pic:

6m5yXp.jpg
Thanks, had zero idea about that. Will have to find that part number, and how to get those extra bolts as I don't intend to get the bull bar.

OP
OP
hjdca

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks, had zero idea about that. Will have to find that part number, and how to get those extra bolts as I don't intend to get the bull bar.
You can use these hex bolts below to tie into the skid plate - order 3 or 4 just to be safe - . Note: These are the same bolts that are currently on your Rubicon skid plate. All these bolts can be reused. I do not have a part number for the torx bolts in the bumper, but they are the same size and thread as the hex bolts, just a different torx head.

Regular black hex bolts (non torx) are - 651287AA - can be used for all the skid plate bolts.

Sponsored

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
You can use these hex bolts below to tie into the skid plate - order 3 or 4 just to be safe - . Note: These are the same bolts that are currently on your Rubicon skid plate. All these bolts can be reused. I do not have a part number for the torx bolts in the bumper, but they are the same size and thread as the hex bolts, just a different torx head.

Regular black hex bolts (non torx) are - 651287AA - can be used for all the skid plate bolts.
Thank you sir!

Reeb65

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Just did the same swap except I had the correct amount of hardware with my kit. It was an easy do it yourself project. I did not get the LED lighting package so I am swapping out the halogen lamps with LEDs soon.

IMG_6757.jpg

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Just did the same swap except I had the correct amount of hardware with my kit. It was an easy do it yourself project. I did not get the LED lighting package so I am swapping out the halogen lamps with LEDs soon.

IMG_6757.jpg
So you ordered the black plastic piece at the top as well? Where did you get yours? Looks good!

billyjk7

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler JKU on 40s and Tons

I have an wxrra set of the facrory led fogs if ur interested for rhe factory steel bumper

IMG_6757.jpg

highoctane

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I swapped the plastic front bumper on my Rubicon for the steel bumper last week as well. I didn’t get the skid plate though. I rotated my sway bar motor to raise it up and out of the way.

D80ED826-C731-4B7A-9F81-A13BF7C426A3.jpeg

Sponsored

BK_Hanfield

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - Hydro Blue, MT
Vehicle Showcase
- I've been looking at doing this as well. My current plastic front bumper is developing a rash from something. Looks like something was dripped on it and melted some spots into the surface. No idea what it could have been. Looks like a slow update process for me. I appreciate the posting of the needed parts, tremendous help.
- I take it there was no steel bumper option for an Overland or other model? I haven't been able to find one anyway. I did run across a listing for a Performance off-road bumper (82215691AD) but I'm not sure if this is meant for the JT.
- I saw where someone else reported a 1/2-3/4" drop in the front after adding the steel bumper. They may have had a winch added at the same time.

Prices this past week - 12/7/19
oempartsquick website
Rubicon Bumper-Front Product ID: 82215121AC $807.92
Rubicon Stubby Bumper-Front Product ID: 82215120 $726.69
Plate Pkg-Skid-Front Product ID: 82215183AB $201.11
Closure Panel Product ID: 6BU43RXFAB $22.63
Grille and Winch Guard Product ID: 82215351 $204.39
License Plate Kit - Mopar (68295610AA) $17.15
Winch Mounting Kit - Mopar (82215182AB) $280.50
Winch Fairlead Adapter - Mopar (82215527AB) $36.58
bam wholesale parts website
Rubicon Bumper-Front Product ID: 82215121AC $753.46
Rubicon Stubby Bumper-Front Product ID: 82215120 $677.71
Plate Pkg-Skid-Front Product ID: 82215183AB $185.84
Closure Panel Product ID: 6BU43RXFAB $22.77
Grille and Winch Guard Product ID: 82215351 $188.87
License Plate Kit - Mopar (68295610AA) $16.45
Winch Mounting Kit - Mopar (82215182AB) $261.59
Winch Fairlead Adapter - Mopar (82215527AB) $32.32

mrdibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
This is a great post and I'm about to order my parts.

Two Question though.

#1 - My Rubicon came with the Plastic Bumper w/ LEDs and a metal Skid Plate. Do I need to get the Skid Plate you show as part number 68293984AB or can I just use the one I have? Looking at your photos it looks like your new Skid Plate has fasteners holding it to the bottom of the bumper whereas my existing steel Skid Plate does not have such holes.
#2 - I want to order KC Spot Lamps to mount on my Brush Guard. The adapters are sized to the diameter of the bar they are mounting on. Can someone please confirm the diameter of the Brush Guard Bar?

Thank you,
Matt
Sponsored

Last edited: