Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I got a sport Max tow and I'm trying to install a steel skid plate that came off a JT Rubicon with a Plastic bumper. I'm pretty sure I don't have everything I need to install it, just trying to see what else I need to complete the job and trying to figure out exactly how to do it. Not info online. Here is a pic of mine with the plastic one off and what I got from the dude I bought the skid from. A u help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon steel skid plate install help IMG_20200524_094155
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon steel skid plate install help IMG_20200524_094204
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon steel skid plate install help IMG_20200524_094253
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I got a sport Max tow and I'm trying to install a steel skid plate that came off a JT Rubicon with a Plastic bumper. I'm pretty sure I don't have everything I need to install it, just trying to see what else I need to complete the job and trying to figure out exactly how to do it. Not info online. Here is a pic of mine with the plastic one off and what I got from the dude I bought the skid from. A u help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20200524_094155.jpg
IMG_20200524_094204.jpg
IMG_20200524_094253.jpg
You need these two brackets, and 6 bolts, and 4 rivnuts for the 4 holes in the frame. They bolt on to the outside of the frame rails.

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon steel skid plate install help kWsuRi

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
You need these two brackets, and 6 bolts, and 4 rivnuts for the 4 holes in the frame. They bolt on to the outside of the frame rails.

So I need 2 additional brackets and the 6 bolts and 4 rivnuts. He gave me two brackets and 4 bolts

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase

I have these two brackets, so that's all I need and I got 4 bolts, so I'm going to need 2 more bolts and 4 rivnuts?

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon steel skid plate install help IMG_20200524_102949
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon steel skid plate install help IMG_20200524_103017

If that's all I need could you or someone provide some guidance on where they install. I could get this done today if so, just got to get the rivnuts and two bolts

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have these two brackets, so that's all I need and I got 4 bolts, so I'm going to need 2 more bolts and 4 rivnuts?

IMG_20200524_102949.jpg
IMG_20200524_103017.jpg

If that's all I need could you or someone provide some guidance on where they install. I could get this done today if so, just got to get the rivnuts and two bolts
This the only picture that I have to help you. I have a Rubicon JT that came with the Plastic bumper. I put on the steel bumper and connecting steel skid plate, and used the existing brackets on the inside of the frame. For the old plastic bumper steel skid plate, I had to take the outside brackets on the outside of the frame off, but, I screwed in the bolts to the Rivnuts, so, I could have some extra bolts on the road.... Here is a picture... Your brackets mount at kind of an angle, where those 2 bolts are screwed into the frame.... You will need Rivnuts to make this work.

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon steel skid plate install help geDmTB

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
This the only picture that I have to help you. I have a Rubicon JT that came with the Plastic bumper. I put on the steel bumper and connecting steel skid plate, and used the existing brackets on the inside of the frame. For the old plastic bumper steel skid plate, I had to take the outside brackets on the outside of the frame off, but, I screwed in the bolts to the Rivnuts, so, I could have some extra bolts on the road.... Here is a picture... Your brackets mount at kind of an angle, where those 2 bolts are screwed into the frame.... You will need Rivnuts to make this work.

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon steel skid plate install help geDmTB

[/QUOTE

I appreciate that. I think I figure it out based on that. Did yours have that aluminum piece behind it like mine has with the plastic one removed. I'm wondering if that stays or goes.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
If you look closely at the picture I posted, you will see that the Rubicon has another big bracket that bolts to the inside of the Frame and "caps" the bottom of that frame. This cap is what the Rubicon "bumper attached steel skid plate" screws into. You do not have this bracket. It looks like you have another third bracket which does not cap the frame and allows you to bolt in your existing skid plate on the inside part of the frame. I would guess that you do not need that bracket anymore and can reuse those bolts for your new skid plate and brackets.

Last edited:

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
In addition to the two brackets you have, you need:
  • 8x 6511076AA - Rivet Nut
  • 1x 68353836AA - Passenger Side "fang cap" Bracket
  • 1x 68353837AA - Driver Side "fang cap" Bracket
And, in total, you need 8x M10-1.5 x 30mm bolts (the grey ones above) and 4x M8-1.25 x 30mm to hold the skids to the brackets. I just replaced all of them with yellow zinc 10.9 fasteners from Fastenal beacuse it was far cheaper than ordering actual factory parts and they're going to be more corrosion resistant.

The brackets cap the bottom of the fangs as was mentioned and hook around to the inside of the fang for mounting. The ones you have already mount to the outside of the fangs and are the upper mount.

The M10 rivet nuts are a bitch and a half so I stongly recommend proper tools to do them. The bolt and nut hack doesn't work very well like it does with smaller rivnuts.

Buzzlb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland: The Overcon ‘82 CJ-7
Build Thread
Link
Did it on my Overland.
See parts list on The Overcon
B86305D7-F515-4A97-A43F-402D93909660.jpeg

aegiscpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Do you happen to have the part number for the skid plate? I have all the needed parts, just looking for the actual skid plate. Thanks.
Sponsored