Rust protection

Birel33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland and a Ridgeline
Occupation
FF/EMT
What are you guys doing for rust protection on your JT? What type of undercoating are you using or are you having it oil sprayed?
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I sprayed the undercarriage of mine with a heavy coat of Fluid Film, I bought 5 cans but so far only used 3 I also spayed some of the bare metal under the hood. I have used it before and it works pretty well. There are also many videos out there showing how well it works over multiple years.

Kole Miller

First Name
Kole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon jt diesel
Occupation
Dentist
What are you guys doing for rust protection on your JT? What type of undercoating are you using or are you having it oil sprayed?
Just had my 2021 JT GLADIATOR DIESEL undercarriage known sprayed for rust protection. Very common in Canada because they know all about salt and rust. Jim Falcone 315 292 8838 out of KROWN OF UTICA RUST PROOFING owner. It is done annually and costs under 200 dollars but varies depending on vehicle. I plan on spraying it every spring and fall living in snowy NY. Some photos showing first they remove salt and clean underneath. They even removed my taillights. They drill and spray into the doors then place plugs. Truck looks great.

AD712665-FC82-450B-818D-CF698AD48974.png

97E8A483-C19B-41CC-939B-6A16ED031545.jpeg

F50B8496-7760-450F-98F7-EF0C8BCA5A0D.png

6D02EE85-FD10-4A0D-AF0C-1EB0125A304A.png

84C20EBE-301A-478B-962B-260154FAC996.png

5BE44721-35F6-4C8E-9C52-F4995437404A.png

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Looks like they did a good job, not sure that is available in the north east where I am. Only downside I have found is working on anything after being coated in fluid film and it is messy, oily and dirty.

Sponsored

Kole Miller

First Name
Kole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon jt diesel
Occupation
Dentist
Looks like they did a good job, not sure that is available in the north east where I am. Only downside I have found is working on anything after being coated in fluid film and it is messy, oily and dirty.
Its called KROWN and u can google search. I drove 3 hours to have Jim do it. He came highly recommended. I plan on having my truck lifted in spring. I would rather have bolts come off easy and no rust. I traded in my 2018 JL RUBICON which i just loved but never rust proofed it but after its first winter i could see surface rust around control arms. i agree if u work on your own vehicle it could be messy but just wanted to share this is what they commonly do in canada.

Reactions: Mac

Alteredspeed

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Supervisor
Fluid film hands down. You can buy the sprayer for about 100.00 and a gallon of the film for about 70.00. It will do a few vehicles. Yes it may be messy to work on but it hands down is the best for protection. My 2008 duramax frame and undercarriage looks almost new still. Just did my Gladiator two weeks ago. I’ll recoat it in a few weeks then just touch up as needed.

Reactions: Mac

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Folks - I read this thread entirely and searched for other forums. For example: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/body-corrosion-protection.38090/#post-615500 and https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/need-some-advice-on-rust-protection.34901/ and https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/rust-under-the-paint-from-factory.36016/page-2 and https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/rust-at-240-miles.36288/#post-588224. I'm asking in this forum because the flaming got a bit out of hand in some of the others.

Here are my questions:
1. Anyone have any information about the factory MOPAR undercoating - what kind of material is it? Is it a lanolin grease like fluid fil or wool wax? Or is it a rubberized undercoating? Or a cosmoline style petroleum wax barrier? These videos generated this question: and

2. Should be picking up my new JT next week according to the dealership. They want $750 for Mopar undercoating. They didn't say anything about annual re-coating or anything like that. Does that mean the MOPAR undercoating is "permanent" or perhaps even they know the undercoating products aren't worth shit? For example here in MN you don't see a lot of undercoating companies anymore. Heck Fluid Film's nearest authorized service provider is in Wisconsin - south eastern side of the state and near Chicago.

3. I'm not going to do my first undercoating at home. Not going to do it outside - too cold right now, and not going to get a film of whatever over everything on the inside of my garage. So, any thoughts on best commercial options? Wool Wax? Fluid Film? MOPAR?

4. Am i just fooling myself? As long as I wash regularly and remove anything that can soak up moisture (like mud clumps in frame corners etc) should I just rely on the fact that modern vehicles don't have nearly the same kinds of long term issues that older vehicles have? My landrover is mostly aluminum skins (except doors and roof which are only rusting at window joints and where I scratched it) and I'm not terribly worried about frame rust (at least not my generation - some of the older ones were terrible like the early 2000s Tacoma problems).

Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase