Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Look good! The fox 2.0 are pretty nice for the price. Yes the resi’s are nicer and so is the 2.5’s. But I’m sure once you get your falcons you will feel the difference.
For sure they'll be better. I actually think on road the Fox are too soft and while better than stock I'd like things a bit tighter. I've heard the Falcons should be the ticket for that.

On another note do you think going for the 3.5s is worth it? I'm feeling kinda torn the 3.3s give the same effect pretty much and less stuff to go wrong. I already have to air down and pop off the sway bar links before going off road so flipping the selector on the shocks seems trivial now that I've had time to think about it. Its also a good chunk of money that could go towards my rear bumper or other stuff. Whats your take?
Sponsored

OP
OP
bakobobby

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Alright the universe loves me today. Was in 4wheelparts Bakersfield dropping the rig off for her obligatory 500 mile re-gear diff oil change and my guy there tells me the Falcon sp2 3.5s are in. LOL right! I couldn't believe it. Been told July would be about the earliest I could expect them. But we went in the back and there was a big Falcon box! There was another smaller box too. We opened them up and sure enough the parts where all there. These are some thicc shocks. The Fox have served me well for all of 500 miles, but they gotta go. The Falcons are going on Monday :rock:

tempImagekgrVte.png

Reactions: PJZ
OP
OP
bakobobby

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
I decided to go with front and rear Anti-Rock sway bars. Due in part to my front bumper choice. It turns out that the front sway bar didn't line up quite right. I needed to use some washers or make a shim to drop the mounting of the sway bar to the bumper down about 1/4" or so which would prevent the rubbing seen in the photos.

Second issue was we didn't get the brackets that are supposed to come with the Teraflex sway bar disconnect kit. These brackets set the point where the end links attach about 2" higher than were we have them now. We ended up putting the attach points in the place where JKS would have you do it. Had to grind off the tab used to mount the stock end links to make it work (same as JKS install). The problem going this route is the Teraflex links are too short and therefore you can see in the photos the sway bar is just below level. Of course you'd want it just *above* level in a proper installation. Rather than go through the hassles above decided to do the anti-rock up front.

An aside I talked with an engineer at Motobilt about the issues with the rubbing. After some back and forth he said when they mocked it up they used short end links and they didn't ever run into the problem but that he could see how it was a problem. His suggestion was to do the washers/spacers or to go with the anti-rock which is what everybody with this bumper seems to run 🤷‍♂️ I got credited back the cost of the disconnects by 4wheelparts which was nice.

The rear anti-rock was more a decision based on not having a rear sway bar right now. Teraflex did not send the longer links for my 4.5" lift. They would be sending me eventually their new rear sway bar kit which includes a setup very similar to an anti-rock. Being I'm now going with the front anti-rock, and I was not wanting to wait any longer, I pulled the trigger on the rear anti-rock. It is quite a bit more than the Teraflex offering, basically double the price. It does look nicer but I assume functionally it'll be the same thing but we shall see.

I am going to get these and the Falcon sp2 3.5 shocks installed this week. I'm looking forward to shake it down soon as they are in see how it performs. Already thinking about hitting the flex pyramid at Hungry Valley.

tempImageyEk01L.png

tempImagejffFJq.png

tempImagexAmHkj.png

tempImageukVHIy.png

tempImageXEdtUK.png

OP
OP
bakobobby

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Figure now is a good time to write up my Gladiator experience so far. Going from figuring out what I wanted to buying to the process of upgrading the JT.

I was pretty set on a Bronco a bit over a year ago. My brother has an F-150 which I ended up driving 2000+ miles during a trip back in 2020. I was pretty impressed by what Ford was doing. I started looking at the F-150 and also the Ranger. Then the Bronco caught my eye. I really went down the rabbit hole researching into the Bronco. At one point I was probably 99% sure I'd be buying one. What changed was the more I looked into the Wrangler and Gladiator the less appealing the Bronco became. It wasn't just the fact a Bronco would be super expensive and/or a long wait.

It was a struggle for me to decide if I wanted a Wrangler or Gladiator. Getting there was a year long process. I looked into a lot of youtube videos on the variations. I looked into the aftermarket and what sort of upgrades I could make. I think my preferred choice would be a 2dr JL, but I have 4 kids and so that'd be a no... for now. I definitely prefer the JT over the JLU. The truck bed is a huge plus and I have taken plenty of advantage of it already. Towing was another consideration. It by no means is class leading but its more than enough for my needs. The Jeep Gladiator just checked so many boxes. The level of utility it provides on top of off road capability nearing a Wrangler.

Anyhow a lot of folks, family and friends, told me they thought the Gladiator was just plain ugly. I myself found the styling both a bit retro and ahead of its time. I like it. Or they didn't get it the point. I took it into consideration. Think end of the day I wanted the experience only Jeep provides. It took awhile but I think I got it. Things like taking the doors and roof off. Lotta upgrade paths. Huge community of modders. I spent bunches of hours going through the youtube Jeep content.

Lastly the build quality. The Fords just weren't at the same level. The RAM trucks were nice, but I wanted the Jeep. Everything in the Jeeps just seems so well thought out and put together. The sound system and touch screen. Gauges. Even the way the AC works just seems more robust and solid. The seating is not as good as my brother's F-150. It isn't bad either. I've already done some long hauls spending 4+ hours in the seat and don't think I have anything to complain about.

This is kinda rambling on. The final bit I wanted to get into is upgrading. I knew when I was buying a Gladiator/Jeep I was going to be one of those folks that ends up building something that goes off road and works pretty hard. My aim is hill climbs and tough trails. Being able to easily get past hard terrain to the good camping, hunting and fishing spots. I knew I'd want a larger lift and some larger more capable tires. I decided I wasn't going to go bigger axles just yet so not going to run anything more than a 37" tire. I figured if I upgrade the ball joints and armor up the axles I should be plenty safeguarded versus any issues in regards to the type of wheeling I'll be doing. Long story short upgrades kinda spun out of control lol. I started looking into tires wheels suspension and then I'm deciding to throw in lockers, an air system, lighting and accessory control, fancy step sliders etc etc. I decided to go with higher spec parts thinking I'd rather do it once and that I can afford to do the dream build thing.

The list of upgrades is long now, but I think I'll be pretty much done for a good while. I've taken the rig off road and its powered through some really difficult terrain. Looking forward to many years of enjoyment. I think Jeep created something special with the Gladiator. Something that is greater than the sum of its parts. I pray that Jeep continues to have success as there is so few companies that create products that can inspire.

OP
OP
bakobobby

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Falcon sp2 3.5 eAdapts are installed. The wiring needs to be run and connected. they are massive and look cool too lol. I almost swear the Chadiator sits slightly higher, like 1/4” or so, on these as opposed to the Fox. The mode selector switch fits seamlessly into the A-pillar and I am starting to think I have too many screens/buttons/switches/controls. Its kinda becoming tech overload. Would be cool if the Linx could do the job of managing the Falcons modes. The Fox 2.0 IFP look brand new as they should. Will be listing them for sale soon.

Rigid led spotters are wired up front. They look really good should give a very strong straight ahead beam. I have the amber lenses to throw on for rain/snow/fog. KC 6” Apollo pros in spread pattern also waiting to be installed. These are going to run when I kick on the high beams per Linx setup, or whenever manually. Need to paint the Motobilt brackets and install them before the Apollos go on. lastly have KC Cyclone rock lights waiting to go in. Bought the six pack kit that comes with wiring and all. Plan is to have them kick on when I put the rig in reverse or on demand as needed. Think lighting is going to be where I need it once all this is in. I have the upgraded alternator which I hope can handle this extra power consumption.

Front and back anti-rock came in and will be installed soon. Running no rear sway bar I noticed the rear doing more of the flexing even with the front disconnected. The cab and bed also seemed to angle side to side more than seemed necessary. Front and back flexed nice and easy over very rough terrain, but they did it almost totally separate of each other. One marketing point for the anti-rocks is they keep the cab and bed much closer to level while the front and back better share duties in flexing. I have seen it on youtube and it looked legit. We shall see.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bakobobby

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Motobilt is having a 10% off sale on all their bumpers. I liked the build of the Tomahawk up front so much that I'd been considering their Crusher rear. Well I now have this bumper ordered and on the way. The bumper wraps fully around the bed to the rear fenders and sits out a bit. Should offer a lot of protection in the rear which is the only place I'm lacking. I liked the Fab Fours JT bumper too, it offered the same set of features and protection the Crusher does, but the Crusher is a little more the look I'm going for.

Last edited:

PJZ

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD AEV370
Build Thread
Link
The Crusher does have a nice look to it. Good protection too.
Had Falcon's on my JK. Early set and weren't adjustable. They were very good, but would have been good to dial it back a bit on the street. Even nicer now with the switch in cab.

OP
OP
bakobobby

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Had Falcon's on my JK. Early set and weren't adjustable. They were very good, but would have been good to dial it back a bit on the street. Even nicer now with the switch in cab.
Where they too firm? What suspension did you pair them with? I have noticed that is a complaint while researching falcons. I wonder though how often that is due to the shocks being set to the firm mode rather than soft. Since you have to twist the rod when the shock is fully extended once it goes in most folks will probably never change it up. Have to wonder how many installers don’t bother reading the install manual 🤣

PJZ

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD AEV370
Build Thread
Link
Had the AEV 3.5. Not too firm, but noticeably different than the bilsteins that came off. A friend has a JL with the adjustable shocks and it is a better ride, but he also has a teraflex lift so hard to tell. Haha, agree, had a Miata in college - put some koni adjustable on, turned it to firm, and never touched it again!

OP
OP
bakobobby

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Had the AEV 3.5. Not too firm, but noticeably different than the bilsteins that came off. A friend has a JL with the adjustable shocks and it is a better ride, but he also has a teraflex lift so hard to tell. Haha, agree, had a Miata in college - put some koni adjustable on, turned it to firm, and never touched it again!
I'll probably be running the firm set to somewhere in the middle. How is the AEV JT370 coming? Its there getting worked on now? I was looking at that again and it seems like a pretty good price for all the gear they throw on.

Sponsored

PJZ

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD AEV370
Build Thread
Link
Its under way, thanks for asking! It shipped to them last Monday. They said 30-45 days to complete and get shipped to me. Hoping that holds true. Probably would have been cheaper to build it on my own. However, I wanted to just get it done properly out of the gate. Always loved the AEV stuff and YOLO. Have a whole pile of misc armor, exhaust, and the RSI smart cap filling up the garage. Looks good in the pics, but won't ever see it in this format.
Jeep Gladiator Sarge Green Cali in Bakersfield CA 6285efe3-3580-41be-8e97-85dcbe7e67d2 2

OP
OP
bakobobby

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
4-6 weeks is quick turn around IMO. And sure you could have saved a bit installing stuff yourself but for what you get in that package they don't appear to be charging all that much for the install costs.

Probably due to the times and issues with shortages its been quite a struggle to get some of the parts for my build. End to end estiming 90ish days start to finish. Trying to iron out some gremlins right now, and will have a rear bumper install to do in a week or so when it arrives. Looking forward to just being done. In all honestly there is a lot to be said for just paying someone that puts together the whole package for you, knowing it'll all work flawlessly.

PJZ

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD AEV370
Build Thread
Link
Agree, when you add it all up the price is not too bad. Also, locked in the pricing end of year and everything went up in January so it saves a few dollars. I think resale, if I ever sell it, would be good with an AEV built package vs home built with the same parts. A lot of the fun for me is in building, but never enough time.

OP
OP
bakobobby

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
This Beauty is on its way to be powder coated. Motobilt Crusher its freaking huge. I am glad I finally got to put my deadlifting skills to work in the real world lol.

C1B6E392-ADCC-451A-BE41-D8DE0DE2F942.jpeg

OP
OP
bakobobby

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Some pics from today did some light wheeling at Hungry Valley nearby. Got to put the new Falcon sp2 3.5s to work as well as the anti-rocks. The Teraflex Delta brakes also got a real test doing some climbs and descents.

Jeep Gladiator Sarge Green Cali in Bakersfield CA tempImageAXaFmo

Jeep Gladiator Sarge Green Cali in Bakersfield CA IMG_3734.PNG

Jeep Gladiator Sarge Green Cali in Bakersfield CA IMG_3736.PNG

Jeep Gladiator Sarge Green Cali in Bakersfield CA IMG_3737.PNG

Jeep Gladiator Sarge Green Cali in Bakersfield CA IMG_3738.PNG

Jeep Gladiator Sarge Green Cali in Bakersfield CA tempImageqMUGnZ

tempImagedYNdFR.png
Sponsored