School me on upgrading system

MTDIRK

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
Anybody have a list of sizes for all the speakers? I have been thinking of swapping them out as well. is It 2 sets of 2” and 1 set of 3” for dash and roll bar?

should The speakers be the same type or different?

I have the alpine premium as well If that matters.
Sponsored

athous

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Anybody have a list of sizes for all the speakers? I have been thinking of swapping them out as well. is It 2 sets of 2” and 1 set of 3” for dash and roll bar?

should The speakers be the same type or different?

I have the alpine premium as well If that matters.
So its tricky, however the dash speakers are 3.5" and the knee panel speakers are 6.5". Now the roll bar speakers are the tricky ones. They are technically 2 speakers. One 3.5" and one 4" with some weird porting. The general accepted replacement for them is to remove both of the speakers and cut out the plastic around them to fit a 6.5" speaker. This weekend Im cutting out the roll bar speakers and putting in a 6'5". It seems pretty easy, but we shall see. I have come to learn that the alpine speakers are the same as the stock, you just get a small amp and a subwoofer in the back. All the rest of the system speakers are the same as they are on the stock gladiator. Which sucks if you ask me for such a large cost upgrade.....

athous

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Finally got around to installing those alpine 450 dollar speakers. However first off I gave those dart kicker speakers a shot and rode around with them for a couple of days. Honestly there was little difference between the stock and the dart kickers. so today I finally got my air saw in the mail (25 bucks on Amazon) and went a cutting. i can see why they recommend the air saw as there is quite a bit of plastic to remove in there. The air saw made quick work of it and with the pattern overlay they give you it makes it easy. Literally took me 10 minutes to cut out both as well as clean up the edges and vacuum the mess. So the alpines have a built in crossover that fits off the plug from the 3.5 speaker. I used that and the speakers did work however the sound was really tinny and the 6.5 in it put out very little sound. So than it dawned on me why crutchfield gives you these speaker adapters. It’s to disconnect the cross over and directly connect the 4“ speaker wire. The 3.5 wire however I left in the crossover. After doing this it was literally a hundred times better. Better highs, mids and base. I assume the crossover is for jeeps that don’t have the alpine system and run straight off the head unit. All in all I am very happy. I was pretty worried however at first as these set me back around 500 with shipping and tax. Also the included instructions are useless. But it was easy trial and error. im contemplating even replacing the dash and kick panel speakers as they roll bar ones work so much better now. Looks wise they are nice. They stick out about a half inch more but look more professional I’d say. If you’ve got the cheddar and a little bit of time it’s very well worth it.

Jeep Gladiator School me on upgrading system A16D9D77-4AC4-4AFD-BD07-76686D7F960A

Jeep Gladiator School me on upgrading system 5DB8FD71-90D4-402A-A6FA-01659239EE09

Jeep Gladiator School me on upgrading system 8E452A19-3196-45BF-8DED-51B3FF4ACD70

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
Finally got around to installing those alpine 450 dollar speakers. However first off I gave those dart kicker speakers a shot and rode around with them for a couple of days. Honestly there was little difference between the stock and the dart kickers. so today I finally got my air saw in the mail (25 bucks on Amazon) and went a cutting. i can see why they recommend the air saw as there is quite a bit of plastic to remove in there. The air saw made quick work of it and with the pattern overlay they give you it makes it easy. Literally took me 10 minutes to cut out both as well as clean up the edges and vacuum the mess. So the alpines have a built in crossover that fits off the plug from the 3.5 speaker. I used that and the speakers did work however the sound was really tinny and the 6.5 in it put out very little sound. So than it dawned on me why crutchfield gives you these speaker adapters. It’s to disconnect the cross over and directly connect the 4“ speaker wire. The 3.5 wire however I left in the crossover. After doing this it was literally a hundred times better. Better highs, mids and base. I assume the crossover is for jeeps that don’t have the alpine system and run straight off the head unit. All in all I am very happy. I was pretty worried however at first as these set me back around 500 with shipping and tax. Also the included instructions are useless. But it was easy trial and error. im contemplating even replacing the dash and kick panel speakers as they roll bar ones work so much better now. Looks wise they are nice. They stick out about a half inch more but look more professional I’d say. If you’ve got the cheddar and a little bit of time it’s very well worth it.

Jeep Gladiator School me on upgrading system 8E452A19-3196-45BF-8DED-51B3FF4ACD70

that came out really nice. Maybe I should just spend the money if everything you wanted was achieved. Do you get more power from them as well? Or same volume, just clearer sound?

athous

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
that came out really nice. Maybe I should just spend the money if everything you wanted was achieved. Do you get more power from them as well? Or same volume, just clearer sound?
they are much much louder. I originally had the bar turned up a lot in the equalizer. I had to adjust it quite a bit to get it where it needed to be. They are definitely 2x or more louder than the originals. Honestly the amound of engineering jeep put into the roll bar speaker pods youd think theyd include a better speaker setup. For the cost of the premium audio they really should have upgraded the speakers as well. The included speakers are literally crap. Theyre coming with me on my next desert trip so I can lay waste to them with a fury of bullets to vent my utter disappointment in them.

I may still upgrade the dash speakers as I already bought a pair and it seems pretty easy to upgrade, but Im on the fence really about it as Im quite happy now. I certainly am not going to attempt the knee speakers though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services

Can’t find these on crutchfield, you have the link by chance? Only saw it on quadratec, just want to make sure I replicate your purchase

athous

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT

El_Zorro

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I also installed the Alpine SPV-65-JLT. Also from Crutchfield. First, I followed the instructions to connect the speakers as stated by the Alpine instructions with the connector that matched the new speakers (just one, the one that went to the tweeter) and was like "meh" with the sound. Called Alpine directly and they said to not use the mid connector ("just not needed" is what they said), but I remember reading @athous post above, and disconnected the crossover cables that were already connected with the new speakers, and used the Crutchfield connector instead and to the mid harness...and that did the trick for me. (and makes sense to use the two factory connectors, not just the one like Alpine suggests). Now the sound is a hundred times better.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure

What headliner is this? And are the knee speakers hard to replace?

As a complete novice I’m wondering if these alpine speakers can work with an aftermarket amp and if so, how?

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
What headliner is this? And are the knee speakers hard to replace?

As a complete novice I’m wondering if these alpine speakers can work with an aftermarket amp and if so, how?
those look like mopar headliners

Sponsored

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
So this thread is interesting. Quadratec claims these Alpine upgrades do not really upgrade the Premium system as they are not technically designed for it. However, you two guys said they really do make that big of a difference? I think my Premium system sounds great but always up for upgrades also for better audio.

How much improvement would you guys say you got? I don't mind dropping the cash but not if the improvement is marginal.

Also, what connectors does Crutchfield include? I do not see any mention of additional connectors? Their site also says the speakers do not work with the 8.4" premium system? Is that only because it is not direct plug and play?

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
So this thread is interesting. Quadratec claims these Alpine upgrades do not really upgrade the Premium system as they are not technically designed for it. However, you two guys said they really do make that big of a difference? I think my Premium system sounds great but always up for upgrades also for better audio.

How much improvement would you guys say you got? I don't mind dropping the cash but not if the improvement is marginal.

Also, what connectors does Crutchfield include? I do not see any mention of additional connectors? Their site also says the speakers do not work with the 8.4" premium system? Is that only because it is not direct plug and play?
the only thing the premium sound includes is a sub and a larger screen. Other than that, nothing. On top of the sound difference we’re hearing about, they’re much nicer looking as well

El_Zorro

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator

Screenshot_20210114-205651.png

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator