Sponsored

"Service Shifter", loss of power steering, and other intermittent faults

riggsdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Coming home from a Jeep Jamboree this weekend (no relation to this issue, other than more articulation than normal) and started getting intermittent "Service Shifter" faults, that would kick the truck out of cruise control but quickly clear, leaving no messages. There was also an occasional "Forward Collision Warning Active Braking On" message that would come up, and a momentary CEL (I think, so fast I couldn't see what it was). After one of these, my power steering went away, which made me think I had damaged something and drained my fluid somehow. After stopping at a parts store, there was nothing noticeable leaking or damaged underneath and power steering reservoir was full. Starting back up, everything was working. Back on the interstate, I realized the fault was happening in conjunction with bumps on the road.

Yay! Intermittent electrical faults! :angry:

I found this post on the JL forum:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/“service-shifter”-wire-harness-issue.68876/

Found my wiring harness outside the heat shield and lightly touching the EGR line. I got her tucked back in. Hopefully, this will have made the problem go away.

Anyone else seen this fault? I haven't had DTC's pulled to see if anything stayed registered.
Sponsored

omgoddard

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 DJTR, 2013 JKU
I had the same exact issue while I was 200 miles into my maiden voyage home from the dealership. I first noticed my cruise control kick-off, then service shifter and it was progressively getting a little worse thru the trip w ECS, shifting weird, etc. Notably, bumps were also causing the issue to appear more often too.

I thankfully found the same thread you linked and was able to tuck that harness back behind the heat shield and it's been fine for 4-5ish weeks now. A super frustrating QC issue, IMO, but I'm glad that it was an easy 30 second fix after I could get my fat hands up in there.

For anyone needing this fix, I was able to turn the passenger wheel out to allow for more room, pull the fender liner up without removing it, and then lay on my back to get my hand up in there to move it around.

I'm planning to put some additional heatshield tape on the harness when I have the front end apart from installing the lift.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Open your fuse/relay box and make sure all fuses and relays are fully seated.

Been an ongoing issue with those being only partially seated.

OP
OP

riggsdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Open your fuse/relay box and make sure all fuses and relays are fully seated.

Been an ongoing issue with those being only partially seated.
I had checked that the first day I had the truck! But I checked again before I found the thread on the JL forum.

I also put this in the diesel forum, since it seems to be a diesel specific cause for this issue.

Rob Burgundy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator rubicon eco diesel
Occupation
Telecommunications
This same thing happened today after a couple months with no issues. Only recent change was the weather, temp dropped about 50 degrees overnight….not sure if that is coincidence or what.

anyway drove about 45 minutes, no issues. Park for 30 minutes and get in to leave and I get the service shifter message, steering very hard to turn. So I parked it, shut it down and let sit for a minute. Fired up and drove off. Within 20 minutes got a couple flashing warning lights about sway bar disconnect, service shifter, CEL etc all the while the truck didn’t want to shift into or out of gear. Again stopped and turned everything off. Upon restart all was fine and drove home about a 30 minute drive.

about two hours later I get in to leave and made it a few blocks before it all happened again but really frequent, nearly constant flashing random warning lights / messages, can’t shift into gear. Again shut it down and let it sit. Started up and I made my way back home a few blocks but it was doing it all again. Luckily I was close to home. I will be checking this wiring harness in the morning, appreciate those that posted to fix, hopefully this is it. If not it’s going to the dealer. I will update with my findings.

Sponsored

Isaacvideos

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Mojave 2020
Coming home from a Jeep Jamboree this weekend (no relation to this issue, other than more articulation than normal) and started getting intermittent "Service Shifter" faults, that would kick the truck out of cruise control but quickly clear, leaving no messages. There was also an occasional "Forward Collision Warning Active Braking On" message that would come up, and a momentary CEL (I think, so fast I couldn't see what it was). After one of these, my power steering went away, which made me think I had damaged something and drained my fluid somehow. After stopping at a parts store, there was nothing noticeable leaking or damaged underneath and power steering reservoir was full. Starting back up, everything was working. Back on the interstate, I realized the fault was happening in conjunction with bumps on the road.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/“service-shifter”-wire-harness-issue.68876/

Found my wiring harness outside the heat shield and lightly touching the EGR line. I got her tucked back in. Hopefully, this will have made the problem go away.

Anyone else seen this fault? I haven't had DTC's pulled to see if anything stayed registered.

I have a gladiator 2020 issue just happened today cause I disconnected the battery. Turns out if you have the auto start feature you have a secondary battery that’s connected to the fuse box in order to reset everything you have to disconnect your fuse box and battery. Just finished up and fired her up works good as new all you need to do is clear the code

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Administrative Assistant in a school district
I did a search for the same thing and came upon this forum. I don't have a Gladiator but a 2019 JLU Sport S and for the past 3 weeks it's been going crazy, all the bells and whistles, error messages, throwing 80 codes. Replaced the main battery and then it went to the dealer and they replaced the aux battery. Drove fine for 4 days and then again it started, locks my in park. Went back to the dealer - oh it's a lose wire from us replacing the aux battery, drove fine for about 4-5 days and then started again. Yesterday it sounded like all the fans were on under the hood, I shut it off and then it acted like I had no power steering. Shut it off and came out of it. Drove a half mile to the end of our road, stopped at the stop sign and the drive light started flashing and sounded like I was in neutral. It's going back 9/27 they are booked way out.

OP
OP

riggsdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
I did a search for the same thing and came upon this forum. I don't have a Gladiator but a 2019 JLU Sport S and for the past 3 weeks it's been going crazy, all the bells and whistles, error messages, throwing 80 codes. Replaced the main battery and then it went to the dealer and they replaced the aux battery. Drove fine for 4 days and then again it started, locks my in park. Went back to the dealer - oh it's a lose wire from us replacing the aux battery, drove fine for about 4-5 days and then started again. Yesterday it sounded like all the fans were on under the hood, I shut it off and then it acted like I had no power steering. Shut it off and came out of it. Drove a half mile to the end of our road, stopped at the stop sign and the drive light started flashing and sounded like I was in neutral. It's going back 9/27 they are booked way out.
Do you have the ecodiesel?

OP
OP

riggsdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
This thread is under the EcoDiesel forum. Those of us that had this issue found a wiring harness touching an exhaust gas recirculation pipe as described in the link on the first post. Not sure where your equivalent wiring harness is or what it would be touching, but it was roughly underneath the front passenger floorboard on the EcoDiesel.

Sponsored

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Administrative Assistant in a school district
This thread is under the EcoDiesel forum. Those of us that had this issue found a wiring harness touching an exhaust gas recirculation pipe as described in the link on the first post. Not sure where your equivalent wiring harness is or what it would be touching, but it was roughly underneath the front passenger floorboard on the EcoDiesel.
Im sorry I didn't mean to post in the wrong group. I'm at my patience end with all this that's going on with my Jeep.

darksidedesign

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave in Gator
Occupation
Graphic Designer / Illustrator
I just had this exact same thing occur. Service Shifter shows up on screen. Power steering failure. Several other warning flash on screen, too fast to read them all. I am not driving an EcoDiesel. I am driving a 2020 JT Mojave. Any non-diesel drivers having this issue? Any solutions?

Olecoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys
Occupation
Sys Admin
Just happened to me. Was in the car wash. Check engine light came on, warning lights, svc shifter, service traction ctl, etc. No steering. Now sitting in the parking lot waiting for a friend to pick us up. Batt seems completely dead. 2022 Gladiator 3.6 auto. Less than 6k miles. Did the fuse check, lots were not fully seated. Egr wire mentioned seems fine

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Got the "Service shifter" warning on the dash on my trip this weekend. Checked out the link. First thing in the morning that's what I'm checking!

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Well hopefully that solves the problem. Mine was touching the tube. Was able to squish my hand in there pulled down a little on the metal tab with zip tie. And push the harness behind the heat shield. Used the heat shield to hold it in place by bending it over the top of the harness
Jeep Gladiator "Service Shifter", loss of power steering, and other intermittent faults IMG_20231113_112720821
Sponsored