SGW bypass cables

amcast

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
I've searched the forums high and low. Maybe too broad, maybe too exact, I see a lot of discussion about the Security Gateway Bypass Cables but haven't seen an answer to this. I have the JT Overland. I recently bought the Vlinker MC+, the sgw bypass cable and the license for Jscan. All works great and made the changes I wanted. As you all know It is a P.I.T.A to reach up to disconnect \ reconnect the SGW cables. For security reasons I don't want to leave the ODBII module connected all the time, but for ease of access, I was thinking of leaving the sgw bypass cable connected all the time. This would mean the sgw cables would always be disconnected from their ports in the Jeep. Is this a problem? Will it cause any issues while operating the truck?
Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I'm not sure if it will cause problems unless someone needs to access the OBD port. If you take it to the dealer, you would want to reconnect them for sure. Tazer makes an extension cable for $29 which stays plugged in but allows easy access. It also gets easier to plug/unplug them each time you do it. I was able to do it without looking last time I changed my tire size a little.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I leave the z automotive extension attached as well. Only takes a few seconds to unplug the ends and plug in the SGW cables.

OP
OP

amcast

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Thanks for the quick response. Definitely agree with removing before dealer visit. but that should be less times than when I make changes, since its a new toy and I am exploring the options.

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure if it will cause problems unless someone needs to access the OBD port. If you take it to the dealer, you would want to reconnect them for sure. Tazer makes an extension cable for $29 which stays plugged in but allows easy access. It also gets easier to plug/unplug them each time you do it. I was able to do it without looking last time I changed my tire size a little.
Yea. I bought extension cables almost a year ago and they have been lifesavers.

Sponsored

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
Resurrecting this thread with some recent practical advice. I read somewhere that you could leave the SGW bypass cable plugged in and if your dealer was "cool" they would just plug their OBD do-hickey into the bypass cable when you made an appt.

Well, I tried that... and my service tech had no problem using the bypass cable (he's a JSCAN and Tazer fan, and fellow Jeep-er).

But... The system they use MUST talk to the SGW, you can't use the bypass cables. I spent 10 minutes with my head under the dash reconnecting them and bloodying my fingers in the process 🤣

So +💯 on the extension cables!!!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Resurrecting this thread with some recent practical advice. I read somewhere that you could leave the SGW bypass cable plugged in and if your dealer was "cool" they would just plug their OBD do-hickey into the bypass cable when you made an appt.

Well, I tried that... and my service tech had no problem using the bypass cable (he's a JSCAN and Tazer fan, and fellow Jeep-er).

But... The system they use MUST talk to the SGW, you can't use the bypass cables. I spent 10 minutes with my head under the dash reconnecting them and bloodying my fingers in the process 🤣

So +💯 on the extension cables!!!
LOVE the bypass cables - real skin-saver.

Fouts

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Truck Driver
My Tazer just gave up on me so i am going to try the Jscan. I think I read you can disconnect the module from the Jeep after programming. Would you have to disconnect the bypass cables and reconnect plugs to jeep?

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
My Tazer just gave up on me so i am going to try the Jscan. I think I read you can disconnect the module from the Jeep after programming. Would you have to disconnect the bypass cables and reconnect plugs to jeep?
Oh no… did it just quit???

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
JSCAN is software that chooses settings from what the truck already allows to be changed. It can't do anything "live".
It can't disable ESS or traction control permanently, it won't turn off the license plate lights in reverse.
JSCAN site has a ton of info and you can download the app and use it in demo mode without buying a license.

Sponsored

Fouts

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Truck Driver
Oh no… did it just quit???
Trying to update and computer glitched. When got up and running would not detect Tazer, tried plugging into Jeep and nothing. Fortunately I think it was unmarried from vehicle.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
Would you have to disconnect the bypass cables and reconnect plugs to jeep?
The Bluetooth (or Wifi) OBD module you buy for use with JSCAN will need the same bypass cable you used for the Tazer.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Bluetooth (or Wifi) OBD module you buy for use with JSCAN will need the same bypass cable you used for the Tazer.
If you need to make any settings changes............ yes.

I use this for the bypass cable -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S91VZXT

And this for the OBD bluetooth adapter -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JFRFJG6

It all works fine with AlfaOBD and JSCAN both. You don't necessarily need that expensive adapter but for my perceived needs, I went that route.

This is also a good adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGB4873
It's what I used to gather logs and check out our Grand Cherokee when it had a misfire.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow