Sponsored

Shimmy when hitting bumps/dips

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
2021 Jeep Gladiator with Mopar 2" lift, Fox Performance Series 2.0 Through Shaft Stabilizer, 315/70R17 BFG KO2 on stock wheels, JKS adjustable front track bar. Everything else is stock. About 20,000 miles on it; 9,000 miles since installing all of the above.

I've recently developed a shimmy when hitting a bump/dip in the road. Didn't experience it all during my 8,000 miles cross country road trip while towing my camper. Read on here that it can be due to a loose track bar, so re-torqued both front and rear track bars. Helped a bit, but still get shimmy/shake after hitting some pretty heavy bumps. I don't think this is normal, as I don't remembering it happening before, but now I'm hyper sensitive to it, so maybe it's just me?
Sponsored

NCLife

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Are your lower control arms parallel to the deck after the lift?

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
I have 19k miles and just found out my drag link and tie rod both have excess play in them causing looser steering and shimmy over bumps. 2" Mopar w/ trackbars and geo brackets and running 35s.

The shop I talked to (jeep place in MN) said I'm the 3rd JT/JL they've seen with this seemingly premature wear

OP
OP
FutureOdin

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I have 19k miles and just found out my drag link and tie rod both have excess play in them causing looser steering and shimmy over bumps. 2" Mopar w/ trackbars and geo brackets and running 35s.

The shop I talked to (jeep place in MN) said I'm the 3rd JT/JL they've seen with this seemingly premature wear
Interesting. My drag link definitely has some play in it, but so does my mother's 2018 JL, who has a lot more miles on it. Not sure if its considered excessive or not. I'll have to re-check them out.

Sponsored

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Interesting. My drag link definitely has some play in it, but so does my mother's 2018 JL, who has a lot more miles on it. Not sure if its considered excessive or not. I'll have to re-check them out.
I considered having them replaced under warranty (assuming the dealer won't tell me its within an acceptable amount of play) but I have decided to just bite the bullet and upgrade to the teraflex tie rod and drag link. Then I'll have a beefed up TF track bar, drag link, tie rod front end. Should be pretty solid at that point.

Since yours is a 2021 I think you should have the steel steering box but you may check and make sure you don't have the aluminum one. There is a thread on here describing loose steering and the replacement of the aluminum w/ updated steel steering boxes per TSB. I had mine done and it did seem to improve the steering...until it loosened up again (drag link/tie rod)

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I had the upper/inner drag link end replaced under warranty already due to excessive play. I still think the tie rod ends are looser than they should be, as well. They have a dead spot in them that you can feel when twisting the tie rod.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Updating my last post after installing the terafelx drag link and tie rod. The steering has definitely improved and the shimmy is gone. I had a specific spot that I would would get a little wobble and it's gone now after the upgrades.

FYI Teraflex track bar, drag link, tie rod, MOPAR 2", AEV geo brackets, EVO rear track bar

OP
OP
FutureOdin

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
Updating my last post after installing the terafelx drag link and tie rod. The steering has definitely improved and the shimmy is gone. I had a specific spot that I would would get a little wobble and it's gone now after the upgrades.

FYI Teraflex track bar, drag link, tie rod, MOPAR 2", AEV geo brackets, EVO rear track bar
Glad to hear it's gone after upgrading. Debating whether I want to drop another $1200 to fix an issue that just seemingly cropped up recently.

I'm not sure how it'll go if I bring it to a dealer to check, as it has the Mopar 2" installed, and an aftermarket steering stabilizer.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Glad to hear it's gone after upgrading. Debating whether I want to drop another $1200 to fix an issue that just seemingly cropped up recently.

I'm not sure how it'll go if I bring it to a dealer to check, as it has the Mopar 2" installed, and an aftermarket steering stabilizer.
That shouldn't be an issue. Just be prepared for them to tell you the play in those components are within spec

Sponsored

OP
OP
FutureOdin

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I dropped an email to one of the service advisors at the dealership I normally go to, I'll see if he replies.

Tempted to rule out the steering stabilizer by swapping the stock one back on, but not sure if that will actually do anything.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
I dropped an email to one of the service advisors at the dealership I normally go to, I'll see if he replies.

Tempted to rule out the steering stabilizer by swapping the stock one back on, but not sure if that will actually do anything.
For what it's worth I had to put the stock steering stabilizer back on because the Fox TS stabilizer clamps for 1 5/8" tie rods are on backorder. I haven't noticed a big difference one way or another but since I have the nice Fox 2.0 TS I'll put that back on when I get the clamp.

I'm not sure if prices just jumped but I got the Teraflex tie rod and drag link for about $850 from northridge (having a 10% sale right now). If your handy they aren't too tough to install.

OP
OP
FutureOdin

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I just hate the idea of throwing money at it without actually knowing if that’s the issue.

Are your lower control arms parallel to the deck after the lift?
The LCAs aren’t parallel to the ground.

OP
OP
FutureOdin

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
is this normal for the drag link?

NCLife

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
I just hate the idea of throwing money at it without actually knowing if that’s the issue.

The LCAs aren’t parallel to the ground.
So, what you are describing could be bump steer. I just installed geometry correction brackets that return the alignment of the control arms to OEM specs. I have both adjustable length control arms and now the geometry brackets. The brackets by far made the most significant difference. I am not an alignment expert, but have been doing my alignments and lifts on Jeep's for awhile. I have tried lots of fixes to perfect things, just returning the control arms to proper alignment made all the difference. This is what I installed - https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/jl-geometry-correction-brackets/
Sponsored