Sponsored

Should I get a winch? Please school me on them.

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Well, I have a winch now and decided to go about learning how to operate it. I cannot find a single YouTube video that shows how to actually use a winch! Plenty of installation videos, brand comparisons and so forth, but very little out there on how to properly and safely operate a winch. If anyone has seen any they like, I'd be much obliged if you'd share.
Sponsored

JT Thomas

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 09 Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
U.S. Army (Retired)
Well, I have a winch now and decided to go about learning how to operate it. I cannot find a single YouTube video that shows how to actually use a winch! Plenty of installation videos, brand comparisons and so forth, but very little out there on how to properly and safely operate a winch. If anyone has seen any they like, I'd be much obliged if you'd share.
Go to YouTube and search “winch recovery basics” you will find plenty of videos.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldnt add one unless you are convinced you are going to do ugly stuff . Otherwise stay mall rated . People cant wait to gawd them up.
gawd them up. That "logic" for determining whether or not to get a winch is fairly narrow, isn't it? I live in Iowa, no trails, no rocks to crawl over, no ravines to get stuck in - Iowa isn't a place for off-roading in Jeeps, and yet - I have a winch.
I've used it twice, once to set a very heavy stationary generator onto a slab for a neighbor and another time to pull a stranded driver out of a ditch after he slid off the road on very slick icy highways.
One must think ahead a bit - what-ifs, that sort of thing.
A winch isn't for everyone and some will put them on for looks and never use them.
I know what things get like around here in the winter and my winch has been on only a year and yet it's been used twice and neither time was because I was stuck on a remote trail.

My Apex 1200 performed great both times. The guy I pulled out was thrilled - thrilled that anyone bothered to stop, thrilled that anyone offered to actually pull his car out of the snowy ditch.

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
Search "ronny dahl winch" on Youtube, he's very competent and covers multiple important topics. Start with the respool/pretension video.

Also, anyone out there sporting a hi-lift jack, he also has some good hi-lift videos before you tear off your face with the handle. While you're at it, also some good videos of why using a ball hitch for recovery should only be done if you have great life insurance.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Search "ronny dahl winch" on Youtube, he's very competent and covers multiple important topics. Start with the respool/pretension video.

Also, anyone out there sporting a hi-lift jack, he also has some good hi-lift videos before you tear off your face with the handle. While you're at it, also some good videos of why using a ball hitch for recovery should only be done if you have great life insurance.
I've seen a lot of his video's. Great stuff. The damage a ball hitch can do is unbelievable.

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
In my youth we would sometimes make do with a “come along”. While I’ve never tried, the Hi Lift jacks can serve that purpose.

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
In my youth we would sometimes make do with a “come along”. While I’ve never tried, the Hi Lift jacks can serve that purpose.
I've done the Hi Lift winch technique in the past on my old F150 that didn't have a winch. Worked well, but I really needed to think it through since the jack was at horizontal instead of vertical. I think a "come-along" would make a good ATV winch in a pinch, but at least mine is only good for 1000lbs or so.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
gawd them up. That "logic" for determining whether or not to get a winch is fairly narrow, isn't it? I live in Iowa, no trails, no rocks to crawl over, no ravines to get stuck in - Iowa isn't a place for off-roading in Jeeps, and yet - I have a winch.
I've used it twice, once to set a very heavy stationary generator onto a slab for a neighbor and another time to pull a stranded driver out of a ditch after he slid off the road on very slick icy highways.
One must think ahead a bit - what-ifs, that sort of thing.
A winch isn't for everyone and some will put them on for looks and never use them.
I know what things get like around here in the winter and my winch has been on only a year and yet it's been used twice and neither time was because I was stuck on a remote trail.

My Apex 1200 performed great both times. The guy I pulled out was thrilled - thrilled that anyone bothered to stop, thrilled that anyone offered to actually pull his car out of the snowy ditch.
Sounds like me I used mine to pull out an old dead tree and to pull a bunch of landscaping stones from under a carport out into the drive where they could be more easily accessed.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
I just ordered Metalcloak bumpers, and I'm torn between getting a piece of sheet metal fabricated and powder coated to cover where the winch would go, or just buying a winch. I don't plan on any severe wheeling until this truck has been beat up by life a little. But the prepper side of me thinks it would be a reasonable purchase and one of those things you'll be really glad you had even if just once in a blue moon.

A little about me/my driving. I live very close to work, and take occasional road trips. Live in the NC mountains, and do get some snow and ice. I deer hunt in the winter and turkey hunt in the spring; both of which mean driving out in the sticks. Usually hunt with a buddy, but only one (my) vehicle. Unless I pick up the wheeling bug, I don't see a winch getting used often, but want it to work if I need it.

We had nearly a foot of snow this winter and this Gladiator climbed right through it. I easily pulled a Honda out of it using my rear tow hook and a strap. The more I write this out, the less I think it's something I need but if I get one, I'm trying to make the right purchase. Buy once/cry once and all. Is there a drastic difference between 8,000, 10,000, and 12,000 pound pulls? Is synthetic line worth the cost increase? How much mileage loss should I expect? Will the front droop noticeably? Any brands to be looking at besides Warn Evo that are in the $6-700 range? Do fairleads and hooks typically come with them? I ordered my bumper without fairleads added, thinking they should, but could probably change this seeing as it will be several weeks before it ships. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
My experience is that when you need it, you really need it. Having said that, I've pulled out others more than myself, still...

Sponsored

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
Check out XBull for some competitive options. https://www.xbullauto.com/
Don’t go cheap. I did and regret it. I bought the Amazon X-Bull and it’s rusting already. I reached out to X-Bull’s customer service directly and they blew me off. They told me I need to talk with their Amazon rep. So I sent a message to their Amazon seller and they said “for your inconvenience, we will give you $10 and a winch cover.” I said, no thanks and what about your warranty that you claim to have? It’s been 48 hours and total silence from X-Bull. I’ve included pictures of the clutch corroding.

B57E6498-667E-4A74-A0CE-C59B3BC7DDE1.jpeg

8C50ECA4-0115-4528-B7DA-734C3AA6E481.jpeg

89EE82EF-7B2E-42FB-A829-F2D645C86A85.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t go cheap. I did and regret it. I bought the Amazon X-Bull and it’s rusting already. I reached out to X-Bull’s customer service directly and they blew me off. They told me I need to talk with their Amazon rep. So I sent a message to their Amazon seller and they said “for your inconvenience, we will give you $10 and a winch cover.” I said, no thanks and what about your warranty that you claim to have? It’s been 48 hours and total silence from X-Bull. I’ve included pictures of the clutch corroding.

Jeep Gladiator Should I get a winch? Please school me on them. 89EE82EF-7B2E-42FB-A829-F2D645C86A85

Jeep Gladiator Should I get a winch? Please school me on them. 89EE82EF-7B2E-42FB-A829-F2D645C86A85

Wow. That plating look like crap. How long have you had it?
I see rust even on the lower part the lever goes into.
That's unreal.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Yikes I've looked at a lot of the X-Bull stuff on Amazon and wondered about it since you so rarely see anyone mention them on here. If I do go cheap, it'll probably still be with a more recognized name (smittybuilt?).

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No rust anywhere on mine. It's been used a couple of times, once in the snow and ice and salt and no signs of any rust or corrosion. Still very happy with it. Would do it again.

Jeep Gladiator Should I get a winch? Please school me on them. 1652124871487

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
Wow. That plating look like crap. How long have you had it?
I see rust even on the lower part the lever goes into.
That's unreal.
9 months
Never been through water other than rain
Started rusting within 2 months
Just keeps getting worse
X-Bull’s customer service has been non existent
Sponsored