Sponsored

Should I get a winch? Please school me on them.

Davekayc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 diesel
Occupation
Roadbuilder
I wouldnt add one unless you are convinced you are going to do ugly stuff . Otherwise stay mall rated . People cant wait to gawd them up.
Sponsored

Koolcarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
Occupation
Car dealer
I just ordered Metalcloak bumpers, and I'm torn between getting a piece of sheet metal fabricated and powder coated to cover where the winch would go, or just buying a winch. I don't plan on any severe wheeling until this truck has been beat up by life a little. But the prepper side of me thinks it would be a reasonable purchase and one of those things you'll be really glad you had even if just once in a blue moon.

A little about me/my driving. I live very close to work, and take occasional road trips. Live in the NC mountains, and do get some snow and ice. I deer hunt in the winter and turkey hunt in the spring; both of which mean driving out in the sticks. Usually hunt with a buddy, but only one (my) vehicle. Unless I pick up the wheeling bug, I don't see a winch getting used often, but want it to work if I need it.

We had nearly a foot of snow this winter and this Gladiator climbed right through it. I easily pulled a Honda out of it using my rear tow hook and a strap. The more I write this out, the less I think it's something I need but if I get one, I'm trying to make the right purchase. Buy once/cry once and all. Is there a drastic difference between 8,000, 10,000, and 12,000 pound pulls? Is synthetic line worth the cost increase? How much mileage loss should I expect? Will the front droop noticeably? Any brands to be looking at besides Warn Evo that are in the $6-700 range? Do fairleads and hooks typically come with them? I ordered my bumper without fairleads added, thinking they should, but could probably change this seeing as it will be several weeks before it ships. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Ok my 2 cents worth......i put a winch on all my Jeeps for 1 simple reason if your out just messing around and get stuck with nobody around 40 miles from nowhere and you have to call a tow truck you just paid for your winch......talking from experience šŸ˜

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Ordered Friday night and the Warn is due tomorrow! That's much faster shipping than I expected. Also got a shipping confirmation from Metalcloak, though it hasn't been picked up by Fed Ex yet. Having a 4x4 shop do the front (and winch) and I'll do the rear. Should have a pretty sweet "What did you do to your Gladiator today" post by the end of next week.

Snowcavemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I just ordered Metalcloak bumpers, and I'm torn between getting a piece of sheet metal fabricated and powder coated to cover where the winch would go, or just buying a winch. I don't plan on any severe wheeling until this truck has been beat up by life a little. But the prepper side of me thinks it would be a reasonable purchase and one of those things you'll be really glad you had even if just once in a blue moon.

A little about me/my driving. I live very close to work, and take occasional road trips. Live in the NC mountains, and do get some snow and ice. I deer hunt in the winter and turkey hunt in the spring; both of which mean driving out in the sticks. Usually hunt with a buddy, but only one (my) vehicle. Unless I pick up the wheeling bug, I don't see a winch getting used often, but want it to work if I need it.

We had nearly a foot of snow this winter and this Gladiator climbed right through it. I easily pulled a Honda out of it using my rear tow hook and a strap. The more I write this out, the less I think it's something I need but if I get one, I'm trying to make the right purchase. Buy once/cry once and all. Is there a drastic difference between 8,000, 10,000, and 12,000 pound pulls? Is synthetic line worth the cost increase? How much mileage loss should I expect? Will the front droop noticeably? Any brands to be looking at besides Warn Evo that are in the $6-700 range? Do fairleads and hooks typically come with them? I ordered my bumper without fairleads added, thinking they should, but could probably change this seeing as it will be several weeks before it ships. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I have the warn evo 10. all it takes is once where you can't get out. you can spend up to 2000 bucks on a wrecker getting out. I have used my winch to pull a deer into a tree, pull friends out. tree trim and everything but pulling my self out. a tree is in your path, winches are great. good insurance.

Wat Dog

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Superintendent

Sponsored

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
Go with quality. I keep hearing good things about Warn, wish i went with them. Instead, i got an inexpensive Chinese-made winch (QRC Stealth) and steel bumper combo from Quadratech and for months had to deal with recall situation where i had to uninstall the winch and mail it back to get repaired because some units were turning on by themselves apparently and couldn't be turned off. They even recommended disconnecting power cable until parts were available to fix.

OffroadAlliance.com

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Premiere Offroad Shop!
Go with quality. I keep hearing good things about Warn, wish i went with them. Instead, i got an inexpensive Chinese-made winch (QRC Stealth) and steel bumper combo from Quadratech and for months had to deal with recall situation where i had to uninstall the winch and mail it back to get repaired because some units were turning on by themselves apparently and couldn't be turned off. They even recommended disconnecting power cable until parts were available to fix.
110% agree! When it comes to recovery gear, you almost always get what you pay for. I'd always rather pay a bit more for something that is tested and proven in the wild. Warn and Smittybilt are always amazing options for quality-tested equipment.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link

If you are going to 4wheel a lot, you should get one. We have a 4Wheel group we go with and we stagger the trucks - winch, no winch, winch, etc... Here is a video from Saturday where I had to use my Warn Zeon Platinum 10s to winch myself out for the first time. I have used it on guys in front of me to pull them back, but, the first time to pull the Gladiator out. I would not have tried that hill by myself. I knew my group was up top with the easier line. A Gladiator with 40s backed down it, so, I thought I could make it with 37s.. lol. In this situation, where my buddies could help me, the wireless was a Godsend. It was so steep, it would have been tough to get out and work a wired controller... I think I could have bumped it out of there, but, my girlfriend was scared, so, it's better to be safe... Funny thing, I had just installed a front trail cam, and I completely forgot to use it. I could have seen the rocks coming better and monitor the winch line.... At least, now, I won't forget it. lol..

Sponsored

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
That was fast!
Jeep Gladiator Should I get a winch? Please school me on them. N80wqEJ

Seeing as I'm having a 4x4 shop install the front bumper, guess I'll pay them to put this on too -though I had kind of wanted to do it myself. Their labor rates are fair and it just makes more sense.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
That was fast!
Jeep Gladiator Should I get a winch? Please school me on them. N80wqEJ

Seeing as I'm having a 4x4 shop install the front bumper, guess I'll pay them to put this on too -though I had kind of wanted to do it myself. Their labor rates are fair and it just makes more sense.
Congrats ! Good Move. Don't forget a pulley (I carry two), tree strap, a bunch of soft shackles, etc..

Pilot425

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Pilot
Jeep Gladiator Should I get a winch? Please school me on them. FF61A1AD-E2A1-4096-9513-D29F988967EF
Apex 1200 lb synthetic rope just went on sale

Whitarmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2014 JKR
I plan to build a home on acreage later this year. I'll use the winch to pull cables through conduit and clear brush. One of my favorite times with my last Jeep was pulling people out of ditches after an ice storm. I'm sure there will be other uses besides wheelin'.
Iā€™ve been using my winch to pull the fence wire on my new acreage
Sponsored