Sponsored

Should I use a shock extension kit for 1 1/2 inch leveling kit?

Monk

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
Can someone tell me if I should use a shock extension kit for 1 1/2 inch leveling kit?
Sponsored

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone tell me if I should use a shock extension kit for 1 1/2 inch leveling kit?
You don't have to. I didn't use it for my leveling kit. A shock extension (or longer shocks) would get you that extra inch of down travel for off-roading with the sway bar disconnected.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
My Teraflex 1.5 kit didn't come with any and it's been doing fine without them, paired with Daystar 3/4" rear spacers. When I added a winch and bumper, I lost an inch and it sits low in the front again. I have an RC 2.5 spacer kit sitting in the garage to swap out when I have time. It came with shock extensions and longer swaybar links.

JeepNNJ

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Jeep TJ '22 Gladiator
Occupation
Chemist
I added the 1 1/2 " leveling kit and it still was not level. I replaced them with the RC 2 1/2" kit

NERokToy

First Name
Jefferey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willy's, 1993 Toyota
You need extended bumpstops to run shock extensions or longer shocks, but you don't necessarily need shock extensions or longer shocks with longer bumpstops

Sponsored

JT714

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Night Eagle
Occupation
Electrician
Depends on how you are planning on using the truck. I found that when disconnecting the front swaybar after a 1.5" level, the shocks would bottom out at full droop

Gizmo

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Hydro Blue Sport S MT. 99 TJ
Occupation
Retired Operating Engineer Local 825
If you can still run OE bump stops with no rub I'd say run stock length shocks , I always keep as much compression as you can, ya don't want shocks bottoming out and limit compression for no reason. Most often their is less weight on a tire thats drooping which means less traction

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport (3)
Occupation
Land Tours Manager, Jeep Tour Guide
I think it just depends upon how you'll use the truck. A couple weekends ago I installed the Teraflex 1.5" leveling kit on my new '23 Willys Sport to get rid of the rake get a bit more clearance in front. To get back the caster lost to the leveling kit, last weekend I installed the longer lower control arms from the Mopar 2" kit. Today I installed TF's 2" shock extensions so I could get back the shock travel lost to the 1.5" kit and match up with the 2" bump stop extensions TF supplied with it. It all works together nicely.
Sponsored