OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Don't want high gloss black, something flat. More important is the brand used. Any recommendations for primer, pain, and clear?
Sponsored

GreenMountainBillyGoat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.VermontBackcountryCottages.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
goat roper
I'm going to try to mod my factory Rubicon skid plate to work with my Fab Fours Stubby. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow, and see if I can get it working. Shouldn't require much modifications, as it fit pretty close before.
Oooooo, I likey!

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Ok bumper is going to arrive next week. Need help sorting the paint to use for matte black. What's the preferred brand of paint, and of matte clear?

Sponsored

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Which one did you decide to get? I cant keep up.
Crusher

I washed the thing 3 times and it was still oily. The local Jeep club told me to acetone wash it, had to do it 3-4 times in certain areas before the rag was coming up clean.

Primed it and got the interior coat on, as well as the back side of the bullbar. I started with the back so I could make sure to get the inner edges of the cutouts and if it resulted in overspray and runs, so what.

Local Jeepers also strongly suggested Rust-oleum Hammer black, which I went with and it will look awesome. When I took my time on the few visible spots I was painting, like the bull bar, it came out fantastic.

They also recommended Steel-it which of course would be fantastic but would require sand blasting and that stuff is wildly expensive.

Jeep Gladiator Show me stubby bumpers options with skid plate 1603235550806

Got 3 coats on the inside and back of the bar. Going to spend time on the front tomorrow.

Will Likely probably need to do some touchups but this paint is so forgiving, hides any imperfection in it's pattern. A little run on one coat totally vanishes next one.

I did a test shot of accent paint over the hammer black, and it seems like it will retain the texture, so long as I do very light coats and stop before too much is on.

Probably install it this weekend.

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I had an unfortunate issue last night, I did the inside of the bumper first and let it dry overnight. I guess some overspray got around the cutouts and onto the front, which is a non issue, but I had the garage cracked a small bit and some plastic sheeting I was using for overspray stuck to it. I cleaned it up best I could, still some problem areas.

I went ahead and painted it to see how it covered and looks installed. It may not be so bad or noticeable, only one way to find out. And since the bumper is flat in every panel I can always sand it back down on one panel and redo it as needed after it fully hardens.

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I had an unfortunate issue last night, I did the inside of the bumper first and let it dry overnight. I guess some overspray got around the cutouts and onto the front, which is a non issue, but I had the garage cracked a small bit and some plastic sheeting I was using for overspray stuck to it. I cleaned it up best I could, still some problem areas.

I went ahead and painted it to see how it covered and looks installed. It may not be so bad or noticeable, only one way to find out. And since the bumper is flat in every panel I can always sand it back down on one panel and redo it as needed after it fully hardens.
I figured out how the tarp got messed up on the wet paint.. there was a squirrel in the garage all night

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
What are people using for a front skid plate with the Fab Fours stubby?

Sponsored

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
so this bumper is awesome. painting this bumper has proved to be anything but. You really need to allocate a full 5-7 days for the paint job. it's what I expected. it painted up nice and easy, but with no actual paint shop the crap in the garage began to make it a mess. it's got so many chunky spots now from just crap in the garage getting on it while it fully dries it's almost embarassing. I already need to touch it up. bumper... awesome. DIY... not awesome.

i will likely need to get the exterior redone by someone.

salsadoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Why are people using Fab Fours when they brought the horror of the grumper onto jeepdom?!
i got my FF stubby last year, shipped to me for <$200 when they had their $200 rebate. now they sell it for $500. so i’m really happy w the deal i got.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Why are people using Fab Fours when they brought the horror of the grumper onto jeepdom?!
I’m not entirely convinced they made one just to troll the Jeep community into seeing how far the ridiculousness could go, to their surprise it clearly goes further than expected and they sold a few and recouped their investment, can’t blame them for that!

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I am fairly certain that FF just likes money. So if they can sell the ugly ass grumper & have it plastered all over florida & they make money then they keep doing it.. They were like "angry grill girls can hold my beer, watch this"
Sponsored