OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Ok tell me about rattle can flat black. I watched a video and I can def do it I just need to take an afternoon. Would flat black be easier to hide some bad spots? And does it need a clearoat?

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Ok tell me about rattle can flat black. I watched a video and I can def do it I just need to take an afternoon. Would flat black be easier to hide some bad spots? And does it need a clearoat?
Flat or Matte colors are easier to get a good even color with as the tips dont clog as easily. But gloss I think hides things better. If I am doing something I want to turn out good I paint in matte & then add a clear coat.

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Flat or Matte colors are easier to get a good even color with as the tips dont clog as easily. But gloss I think hides things better. If I am doing something I want to turn out good I paint in matte & then add a clear coat.
im thinking I would start on the inside of the bumper for practice and getting the methods down. i just really like that Motobilt.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Damn they want like $300+ to powder coat the bumper here. That's a serious dent in Motobilt.
The Fab Fours Stubby is only like $20 difference between bare-metal and powder coated.

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
The Fab Fours Stubby is only like $20 difference between bare-metal and powder coated.
Not really a fan of how it looks and I would prefer a low mount winch.

Plus... can't support the company that brought the grumper shame upon Jeepdom, lol.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Plus... can't support the company that brought the grumper shame upon Jeepdom, lol.
I am not really one to support hate on any company that makes a quality product.... But i'll be damned if this isnt the best excuse I have ever heard to not support a quality company.

Sponsored

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Damn just read what all is involved in the Motobilt install. No thanks. Install with modifications and trimming parts, uninstall, paint, reinstall. That's just not worth it to me.

• Will Not work with Teraflex S/T Dual rate front sway bar
  • The outer edge of the crash bar will need to be trimmed to fit where the lower portion of the bumper mounts
  • The 8 factory mounting holes may need to be open up to a 9/16".
  • Ships bare metal and will need to be painted or powdercoated once you receive it
  • You must fully install BEFORE painting and then removed for paint or powder coating.
  • 2012 and newer models will need a vacuum relocation pump PN MB2060. The factory bracket must be cut off in order for the winch plate to fit.
  • Fairlead spacer included to allow use of a centered or off set winch design.
  • Does NOT work with Super Winch EXP

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn just read what all is involved in the Motobilt install. No thanks. Install with modifications and trimming parts, uninstall, paint, reinstall. That's just not worth it to me.

• Will Not work with Teraflex S/T Dual rate front sway bar
  • The outer edge of the crash bar will need to be trimmed to fit where the lower portion of the bumper mounts
  • The 8 factory mounting holes may need to be open up to a 9/16".
  • Ships bare metal and will need to be painted or powdercoated once you receive it
  • You must fully install BEFORE painting and then removed for paint or powder coating.
  • 2012 and newer models will need a vacuum relocation pump PN MB2060. The factory bracket must be cut off in order for the winch plate to fit.
Good thing you have a JT & not a JK... The notes are MUCH shorter.

• Ships bare steel and will need to be painted or powdercoated once you receive it
  • Mounting holes or brackets for auxiliary light are not included but can easily be drilled upon arrival.
  • Due to manufacturing differences you may need to open up the 8 mounting holes on the Jeep frame slightly.

The install thing is in case anything needs massaged your doing it before its finished so not repeating work there. The only other thing that is not completely normal is that you may need to open up the mounting holes & I have seen that on LOTS of bumpers. I think it has to do with the size fasteners used & would take just a couple minutes. If your doing a paint job yourself then I would just paint it with the knolege that if I messed up the finish at all during install I could make it look good without removing it & taking it back to a shop to do.

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing - Planning & Research
Here’s a good vid on how to make a nice stubby bumper out of a winch plate