Sponsored

Show me stubby bumpers options with skid plate

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I have 0 experience with that and I'm not gonna experiment on a bumper. It can be painted, doesn't need to be powder coated. And black is black. Not gonna body match.
To each his own.. Rattle can paint jobs are easy as long as you dont cheap out on paint (doesnt have to be super expensive, but stick to at least rustoleum or krylon quality) & most importantly be patient. Laying on lots of thin coats will get good results. If you rush it you get orange peel & runs & then it looks like crap.

Motobilt is charging what they do & still selling for a reason. They are buff. The quality difference between my rugged ridge bumper & my motobilt skid plates is no comparison. Not saying there is anything wrong with the RR, but its also just not as solid. And the finish on the factory powdercoat is also not anywhere near as good as the cheap local job that was done.
Sponsored

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
To each his own.. Rattle can paint jobs are easy as long as you dont cheap out on paint (doesnt have to be super expensive, but stick to at least rustoleum or krylon quality) & most importantly be patient. Laying on lots of thin coats will get good results. If you rush it you get orange peel & runs & then it looks like crap.

Motobilt is charging what they do & still selling for a reason. They are buff. The quality difference between my rugged ridge bumper & my motobilt skid plates is no comparison. Not saying there is anything wrong with the RR, but its also just not as solid. And the finish on the factory powdercoat is also not anywhere near as good as the cheap local job that was done.
It's just too large a piece to practice a rattle can on. I may still end up motobilt but I'm gonna have to think on it. Bumper is an important piece but it's just one piece. I would for sure rattle can the underbody skid plates. But not a visible bumper. The build list is long to be going over on a bumper.

Demo_slug

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2020
Vehicle Showcase
I practiced on the winch plate. Which turned out like garbage. Bumper tuned out really good. I must be a savant.

honestly, all the different finishes bug me. Once I choose a rear bumper, I’m going to take it all to the paint shop.

Sportsbiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Digital Experience Program Manager
I’ve been happy with the Arcus Bumper/Quadratec skid plate combo. I know it won’t take hits as well but for having all the things I wanted in a tight package it worked out.

BFF571D7-08B9-49A3-9A19-7CCCA8156743.jpeg
Another vote for the RR Arcus. As pointed out, its not as robust as many others, but my rig is a daily driver, for overlanding, and I don't live in an area with deer etc, I just needed something more substantial than the plastic stock bumper and would hold a winch. Your needs may dictate a different bumper.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
haha when i saw this title my mind wanted to change it to say 'show me your stubby bumpers...that don't rust in a couple years'

seriously though...all this powdercoated steel crap people bolt onto their jeeps front to back, no thanks, genright offroad is one to look at for aluminum masterpieces, a good list of rust free manufacturers would go over alright as a resource for those who live where snow flies and salt hits the roads, or coastal peeps too i suppose

my fab fours stubby with guard started to show rust at a weld inside 4 months...for sale, back to stock, if we do this again it sure as heck won't be for steel when stainless or aluminum are available

Sponsored

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
haha when i saw this title my mind wanted to change it to say 'show me your stubby bumpers...that don't rust in a couple years'

seriously though...all this powdercoated steel crap people bolt onto their jeeps front to back, no thanks, genright offroad is one to look at for aluminum masterpieces, a good list of rust free manufacturers would go over alright as a resource for those who live where snow flies and salt hits the roads, or coastal peeps too i suppose

my fab fours stubby with guard started to show rust at a weld inside 4 months...for sale, back to stock, if we do this again it sure as heck won't be for steel when stainless or aluminum are available
Showing rust which can be ground off and repainted?

How do aluminum handle rocks, is it as durable or more prone to denting and damage?

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
I am near the coast and never had a problem with bumpers, rocker guards, etc. that were properly powdercoated. Powder coating is one of those coatings that require good prep for it to adhere properly.

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I am near the coast and never had a problem with bumpers, rocker guards, etc. that were properly powdercoated. Powder coating is one of those coatings that require good prep for it to adhere properly.
My town is literally surrounded by SF Bay. We have nightly winds of about 20mph blowing all the bay water through town. For as dry as we are it isn't uncommon for people to have rust issues under stucco and such, which is a porous material, but it happens here where it wouldn't in other areas.

Sponsored

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
every truck over a year old around here has those steel bumpers just rust buckets, rest of the truck looks fine, those bumpers never do, longer the term, worse they look

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Any thoughts on ARB? Basically exactly what I am looking for style wise. Stubby. Bull bar. Low mounted winch. $600 finished. Is it weaker or something?

Jeep Gladiator Show me stubby bumpers options with skid plate 1597761621626

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Showing rust which can be ground off and repainted?

How do aluminum handle rocks, is it as durable or more prone to denting and damage?
have a peek at genright offroad aluminum gear and how they abuse it, i'm staying stock for now but i'd be looking real hard at them if decide to bumper up again, there are other aluminum options, just have to add 'aluminum' to the search

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
have a peek at genright offroad aluminum gear and how they abuse it, i'm staying stock for now but i'd be looking real hard at them if decide to bumper up again, there are other aluminum options, just have to add 'aluminum' to the search
Yeah but the stubby from them that's the same basic design as the ARB above is literally 2x the cost. Looks amazing but I would still want it painted which adds even more. Raw aluminum on my white truck wouldn't look right imo. I'd be $1500 into just the front bumper from those guys.

Last edited:

ProperMotionPowderCoat

First Name
Uriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Max Tow
Jeep Gladiator Show me stubby bumpers options with skid plate 6E339348-DB25-4D37-B614-C1BA4603E4A3

Is this a modified Motobilt Crusher ?

I saw it in a Sponsored Ad on Facebook, I believe it was a lighting company.

but now I can’t find where I saw this jaja
Sponsored