Sponsored

Silly security/anti theft question Re: Manual + soft top

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I did the 4Lo hotwire on the locker switch so the lockers worked in 2wd and 4wd. It also allowed the jeep to start without the clutch.
if you put it in 1st and try to start it, would it drive the car forward? I had a jetta without a clutch safety switch that would do that.
Sponsored

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
if you put it in 1st and try to start it, would it drive the car forward? I had a jetta without a clutch safety switch that would do that.
yes

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
I do not know about the JKs, but the JL and JT have computer controlled engines. No key fob, not going to start it, even push starting a manual. I have one of the first computer controlled due, injection cars built, an Audi GT, if the battery is not charged, and the key in the lock, you are not going to start it, even lush starting it, I tried this down a steep hill in SanFrancisco when I had a dead battery (left the inside light on all night).

I tried turning in the JT standing outside with the key in my pocket, no go, the key fob has to be inside the JT, not near it to start the vehicle, and I assume the JL is the same. When you lock the JT, it sets the aroma, but also disconnects the computer run mode and disables the primary engine electrical system, so no hot wiring is possible.

Remote start will start the Jeep, but you can not drive it without “restarting” by pressing the push to start button and again the key fob has to be inside the Jeep to do this. So duplicating the remote start signal is not going to allow someone to drive it away either. True, once the Jeep is started with the key fob inside the vehicle, you can drive it without the fob inside the vehicle.

The only way to steal one, is shift the transfer case to N and flat tow it away, but the steering lock will make this difficult also, so you need a breakdown van to haul it away (flatbed truck or trailer). If a thief wants to take it, they will find a way, but you are safe from casual/opportunity theft, unless you leave the key fob inside the Jeep!
Cheers

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I less concerned about someone stealing it or something from inside than some idiot putting it into neutral and releasing the parking brake.
Damage to my vehicle or even worse someone else's. Anyone have a way to prevent that?
Agreed last thing I need is some kid jumping in and horsing around when the doors are off. Unfortunately I think the only thing you could actually do is build a locking wedge for the ebrake.

81Mojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2010 JKU
Occupation
Transportation
No steering locks on wranglers and JTs
I may try to pop/ push start my manual JT, it would be good to know if it’s possible.
I know you can’t shut off the motor when the truck is moving almost at all, no costing into your parking spot….

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
No steering locks on wranglers and JTs
I may try to pop/ push start my manual JT, it would be good to know if it’s possible.
I know you can’t shut off the motor when the truck is moving almost at all, no costing into your parking spot….
I do miss the parking spot coast in.