Sponsored

Silly security/anti theft question Re: Manual + soft top

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
It's too dangerous. You don't want an engine turning off while you're driving on the highway.
I don't think Ahole car thieves care about the danger. They live for it. I saw gone in 60 seconds, I would know.

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
After I had a Honda crx stolen, I put in a fuel pump kill switch that only I knew where it was. Lol
Ultimate kill switch is a manual transmission. My mom has a Honda Civic, someone tried stealing it... They stalled it on the way out of the driveway, my mom heard it start (she generally stayed up late), so before he could try and start it again my mom was outside with shotgun in hand.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
My YJ with a manual got stolen three times. One time they only made it a couple of blocks though.

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link

Look at ~12:30 in the video. Once the JL is started, he throws the key out the window and drives miles away. There is no engine kill if the key isn't near the vehicle. I've seen the same in my GC.

Ah ok. Well I remember seeing it tried on a challenger and it only went a couple feet before it shut off

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
You could add remote start to a M/T on your own. Just don't forget to leave your jeep in neutral. Usually your engine will not start if the clutch is not pushed in, but a quick fix will override that safety feature.
Thanks for this ^ info. Did not know it. Did make me think what better way to respond than have a beep go off when your car is violated, leave it in gear, then hit remote start with thief in the vehicle, and voice over with a loud chk chk sound. Post resultant facial expression of surprised and jostled thief on here to win plywood award. But that's just me.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

jds73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP JL
I less concerned about someone stealing it or something from inside than some idiot putting it into neutral and releasing the parking brake.
Damage to my vehicle or even worse someone else's. Anyone have a way to prevent that?

Sponsored

Dietruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE, 2004 Z06, 2021 Model Y
Being unfamiliar with new gen Jeeps what security mechanisms are in place to prevent quickly ripping/destroying the top and a second person helping to push start the manual? Is there any preventative mechanisms linked to proximity key, etc? I'm assuming there are multiple things given how some people remove doors or have half doors etc; I am just curious about the details and how effective the strategies are and whether this concern warrants the hard top. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Everytime I see this I giggle.

BeepBeepIAmAJeep

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Hard Rock Bright White and soon™ 2020 Gladiator LE Bright White
You could add remote start to a M/T on your own. Just don't forget to leave your jeep in neutral. Usually your engine will not start if the clutch is not pushed in, but a quick fix will override that safety feature.
My '15 jku has a manual and you dont need to override the clutch to start it. 4lo was programmed to be able to start in gear. So its even easier to put a remote start in if you park in 4lo or just add a switch that makes the jeep think it's in 4lo.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
My '15 jku has a manual and you dont need to override the clutch to start it. 4lo was programmed to be able to start in gear. So its even easier to put a remote start in if you park in 4lo or just add a switch that makes the jeep think it's in 4lo.
I did the 4Lo hotwire on the locker switch so the lockers worked in 2wd and 4wd. It also allowed the jeep to start without the clutch.
Sponsored