Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
Fair statement. With that being said, I think buying the 'best bang for the buck' is a very bad idea, and if you intend to beat the crap out of it, you want the absolute best of the best.
i say bang for buck becaus ein the JEEP world. best of the best may be a little better than something else but cost 10k for no reason. I'm not made of money. i run 37s on stock 7.5 wide rim cus poor mans beadlock and cheap to replace. if that make sense.
Sponsored

MrClortho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
i beat the piss out of this thing and i wheel all over the US with plans to hit south america. its gonna get obliterated.
Then skip the QT set. It works well for the occasional smack, drag or stray rock, but you wouldn't want to go hard core with them because of how they mount up.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Well perhaps if you are really going to beat the piss out of your skid plate, obliterate it, and looking to stay low cost perhaps steel is the way to go, lot of nice steel fully belly skids that will probably hold up better at less cost, at the cost of weight.
Sand and rocks are a bit different, beach sand sucks, I picture a full skid just filled with salt coated sand after a hard trip, aluminum doesn’t rust but it corrodes just fine! East coast rocks are sharp and nasty, and have hit everything under my Jeep. Have fun with your build as stated by others on here check out what lift you’re going with as some skids have clearance issues with no lift and some with lifts……Jack

OP
OP
PuddleJumper

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Then skip the QT set. It works well for the occasional smack, drag or stray rock, but you wouldn't want to go hard core with them because of how they mount up.
ok thanks. appreciate the advice

OP
OP
PuddleJumper

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well perhaps if you are really going to beat the piss out of your skid plate, obliterate it, and looking to stay low cost perhaps steel is the way to go, lot of nice steel fully belly skids that will probably hold up better at less cost, at the cost of weight.
Sand and rocks are a bit different, beach sand sucks, I picture a full skid just filled with salt coated sand after a hard trip, aluminum doesn’t rust but it corrodes just fine! East coast rocks are sharp and nasty, and have hit everything under my Jeep. Have fun with your build as stated by others on here check out what lift you’re going with as some skids have clearance issues with no lift and some with lifts……Jack
I'm going aluminium cus Mojave doesn't handle weight well. And I got guys running steel skids on thier 4runners and they have bent to the point we had to get a grinder to get it off for service. My biggest mistake with my last rig was too much weight for the sake of being bulletproof. rather then having failures from difficult obstacles, i was having failures due to being unable to handle its own weight. I'm banking on my 37s and a future lift to mitigate belly contact but i want a solid plate i don't have to worry about dropping the truck on. I'm already swapping my steel bumper for aluminium cus weight. I even plan on ditching my old RTT and rack for a carbon fiber tent and aluminium bed bars. i want to minimize weight as the primary goal when modifying my rig. I wanna try to keep as much payload and towing capacity as possible while being worry free as possible offroad. not an easy thing to do but im still gonna try.

Sponsored

Artec

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
The Artec Bellypans are available to purchase in 2 different parts so you can start with the vitals like oil/trans first and build off of that to soak up some of the impact to the wallet when looking at Aluminum you need to look at what grades are used the 5052 in some kits is softer and more prone to bending an will gull up on rocks. We use 1/4" 6061 where it is a harder surface closer to steel which will slide on rocks so no need for uhmw cladding

OP
OP
PuddleJumper

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Artec Bellypans are available to purchase in 2 different parts so you can start with the vitals like oil/trans first and build off of that to soak up some of the impact to the wallet when looking at Aluminum you need to look at what grades are used the 5052 in some kits is softer and more prone to bending an will gull up on rocks. We use 1/4" 6061 where it is a harder surface closer to steel which will slide on rocks so no need for uhmw cladding
your kit is on the pricier side but looks zero compromise. With the buy once cry once mind set its probably what i'll go with. I didn't see a weight on ya'lls sight. how much does the full coverage kit weigh?

Artec

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
your kit is on the pricier side but looks zero compromise. With the buy once cry once mind set its probably what i'll go with. I didn't see a weight on ya'lls sight. how much does the full coverage kit weigh?
total weight is about 120 but you'll only be adding 50-70lbs bytime you remove the oem stuff the engine option does make a difference cause the size and shape of the pans

OP
OP
PuddleJumper

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
total weight is about 120 but you'll only be adding 50-70lbs bytime you remove the oem stuff the engine option does make a difference cause the size and shape of the pans
perfect!

Glad Jeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I have purchased the ASFIR full skids. Had the brackets powdered coated. I love the diff skids (red). We will be installing them in a couple weeks. Everything I read and researched on these was very positive. Love the quality of the package as well.