obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have the DRT and I will say that the finish/appearance of the welds are impeccable, however they clearly state on their site that the recovery point is not rated. For all intensive purposes a properly welded tab should be plenty strong, but being that I have no means to see how this unit was welded up (was it properly welded from the backside or is the base of the tab simply perimeter welded?). I'm not willing to risk they shackle tab shearing during a heavy recovery. The edges are also too sharp and lacking the needed radius for practical use of a soft shackle which means a rated D-ring shackle needs to be used. If that tab fails ... and this is a big if ... you now will have two potential projectiles. I'll use the DRT in the cases where I know I need the drag protection, but will opt for a rated recovery point for everyday use. If DRT would conduct some load tests and establish a WLL I might change my decision.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
For almost $200 they way you made its fit perfect, is what they should be doing.

Pictures of finished skid, the two improvements were reducing how much it is below the tow eyes to about 1/4”, and rounding off those two corners at outside top, walking into it just moves your leg out no pain. I don’t think I’ll drive around with it in and have it under rear seat , and might glue a piece of 1/4” rubber onto skid to make it tight to tow eyes with rubber between them. Remember I’m a poser, but live close to Rauch creek and missed a get together recently and am going to go run some trails, not lifted much ,no big tires but have the Rusty’s and Hardrock skids for shocks and control arms already. My skid is the short version, seems about right.
Happy Thanksgiving folks!…..Jack

wakeup2river

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon
I didnt see anything that fit what I wanted which was a short close tolerance skid that covered the chain ears and went back past the receiver rear bracket. I figured if it hangs down below the hitch too much or protrudes off the back then its adding to departure angle problem.

I just measured it up and had this made from scratch. We’ll see how it works

Jeep Gladiator Which hitch skid plate? 04D80782-9F60-4AE0-9EC4-86FD4C7687FA
Jeep Gladiator Which hitch skid plate? 6E24C846-DF9F-4185-8676-43DD22E5BE2A
Jeep Gladiator Which hitch skid plate? 605252E7-739D-44E9-BC02-EA73041FEC60

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I didnt see anything that fit what I wanted which was a short close tolerance skid that covered the chain ears and went back past the receiver rear bracket. I figured if it hangs down below the hitch too much or protrudes off the back then its adding to departure angle problem.

I just measured it up and had this made from scratch. We’ll see how it works

For what it’s worth, I asked war fab why the Sheridan didn’t go forward far enough to cover the entire hitch bracket. They said they went as far as 1/4” steel would extend without bending under pressure. They also said they looked closely at the departure angle and that most impacts would hit the angled portion. So far that’s been right. Maybe some side gosseting would prevent yours from bending up.

wakeup2river

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon
For what it’s worth, I asked war fab why the Sheridan didn’t go forward far enough to cover the entire hitch bracket. They said they went as far as 1/4” steel would extend without bending under pressure. They also said they looked closely at the departure angle and that most impacts would hit the angled portion. So far that’s been right. Maybe some side gosseting would prevent yours from bending up.
Yeah maybe. It’s a prototype so we‘ll see. I figured worse case it may bend only if I really hit in the right place and then only until it got support from the rear hitch bracket vs being too short and wading up behind it. I doubt I’ll ever hit much past 3-4”.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah maybe. It’s a prototype so we‘ll see. I figured worse case it may bend only if I really hit in the right place and then only until it got support from the rear hitch bracket vs being too short and wading up behind it. I doubt I’ll ever hit much past 3-4”.
Good call. I wish my welding skills were as good as some of you.

Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Here’s where mine hits. It’s a shame I can’t tow with it (not recommended by Skidmark) cuz I could use it when towing on the trail.
Jeep Gladiator Which hitch skid plate? 59F0027C-C3A5-4C32-A547-28B42E1A576A

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s where mine hits. It’s a shame I can’t tow with it (not recommended by Skidmark) cuz I could use it when towing on the trail.
59F0027C-C3A5-4C32-A547-28B42E1A576A.jpeg
I’ve got some good scratches on mine. I’ll send a picture when I get a chance. Only took the one when it was new. I have used the recovery ring on mine several times. It’s completely solid.

aqcjeepGlad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
This is near perfect, I al
Pictures of finished skid, the two improvements were reducing how much it is below the tow eyes to about 1/4”, and rounding off those two corners at outside top, walking into it just moves your leg out no pain. I don’t think I’ll drive around with it in and have it under rear seat , and might glue a piece of 1/4” rubber onto skid to make it tight to tow eyes with rubber between them. Remember I’m a poser, but live close to Rauch creek and missed a get together recently and am going to go run some trails, not lifted much ,no big tires but have the Rusty’s and Hardrock skids for shocks and control arms already. My skid is the short version, seems about right.
Happy Thanksgiving folks!…..Jack

ways wondered why they were so wide and hung so low below the chain rings. Nice work, only thing to make it better is to make it so you can mount the hi lift ack to it like the skid mark. Nice work.