Sponsored

Snake + JT = Not Fun

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Wow! That will definitely cause skid marks! And not just on the road! lol
Being a black rat snake, it’s not venomous or really any threat to ya but at 70 mph seeing just a glimpse is not enough to know for sure. Around here we see a lot of copperheads and some cottonmouths.
Years ago I was building my wife’s raised garden one evening and had a visit from a 6ft black snake. Working on stacking retaining blocks, turned To grab another block in time to see him come around the tree and damn near had a heart attack. In the truck at 70? I would have probably totaled the truck or caused a pile up locking the anti locksin the middle of the highway!
Not afraid of snakes per se if I know they are non venomous (even tailed that 6 footer and drug him backwards to the wood line so he could continue mousing my property) but the surprise factor will get anyone’s heart racing.
Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Wow! That will definitely cause skid marks! And not just on the road! lol
Being a black rat snake, it’s not venomous or really any threat to ya but at 70 mph seeing just a glimpse is not enough to know for sure. Around here we see a lot of copperheads and some cottonmouths.
Years ago I was building my wife’s raised garden one evening and had a visit from a 6ft black snake. Working on stacking retaining blocks, turned To grab another block in time to see him come around the tree and damn near had a heart attack. In the truck at 70? I would have probably totaled the truck or caused a pile up locking the anti locksin the middle of the highway!
Not afraid of snakes per se if I know they are non venomous (even tailed that 6 footer and drug him backwards to the wood line so he could continue mousing my property) but the surprise factor will get anyone’s heart racing.
I hate snakes, but if I could see what it was and it wasn’t poisonous I could maintain and pull over and deal with it. If it was poisonous, that would add another level and some serious mental power to pull over safely and fluidly and hopefully not make it want to strike. If it was a freaking cottonmouth, I HATE those aggressive spawns of satan. All bets would be off. I’d probably shit myself, wreck and probably get bit multiple times in the ordeal.

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
Looks like a king snake. I am the same as you are about snakes. Congrats on keeping your cool. That's one thing you never think would happen while driving down the road.
It definitely is a black king snake. They eat bad snakes. They can get quite large and they are capable of eating a large rat... They are not poisonous.

Sponsored

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
It should help your trade in value I would have to get rid of it because every time I drove it I would be looking every where but at the road to see if it’s mate was in there

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
It definitely is a black king snake. They eat bad snakes. They can get quite large and they are capable of eating a large rat... They are not poisonous.
True! Living in the country, We make sure NOT to kill them around here because they actually kill copperheads as well and mice and moles.

Yet I’m still impressed by the fact that he was able to literally remove the front seat on the side of the road. As many snakes, mice and tree rats we have around here, this has me kinda second guessing whether I want to take the top and doors off for any length of time. Lol

OP
OP
thecalebclark

thecalebclark

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Glad all of you were able to enjoy this story!

Sorry for not replying to every post but in summary. A) I did realize it wasn't a venomous snake, but in the moment that didn't matter too much. lol B) Burning it down and calling an Uber did cross my mind. C) Thanks for the compliments on getting to seat out. Come to find out, Jeep did something right and kept the 4 bolts holding the seats in as the same bigger Torx bit that takes the roof and doors off. However getting the wiring disconnects to actually disconnect was another story.

Best of luck to you all on keeping your Jeeps snake free!

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Around here, my bigger worry with leaving the doors off is scorpions. Those things can go anywhere, climb anything, are nearly invisible, and can pack a hell of a venom (depending on species, from mosquito to deadly).

Sponsored

ERMedic777

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
So, I got my JT back in October and over the winter I didn't have to many opportunities to run with the top or doors off. But as soon as the the highs were getting in the 60s this past spring I have been running with them off frequently. Including a day when my dad and I were taking a scamp up to a small lake nearby. Earlier in the day I was living my best Jeep life. Enjoyed lunch next to the river, hammock'd from it in the woods, and got the boat out of my parents wooded back yard. Somewhere in all of this however, a snake got into my truck. We found this out going about 70 down the highway.

At first, out of nowhere my dad put his legs out the door and started freaking out. So being a good son I pull over and he says there was a snake between is legs. We look around and under the seat but don't see anything. Now my dad is getting up there in age and well, I just thought he was starting to loose it.

Hopping back in the jeep we get going again and about five minutes later, I realized myself that it was an actual snake. It sticked its head out again from underneath the passenger seat, high enough to where I got a glimpse of it. As quickly as I could without crashing I whipped us over to the side of the road and bailed out as soon as I put it in park.

This time, knowing that there was in fact a freaking snake in my truck I started ripping everything out, including the front seats. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind snakes. I think they are cool, at a distance and out in the open. But when one is hanging out below your seat while you're out for a little drive, that's where it crosses the line. We finally got it to go out, only for it to crawl up the front wheel and lodge itself in the engine bay.

The day was getting later and well, we still had fish to catch, so we put everything back together and got down the road again never to see the snake again (yet). Some people camping near where we parked allegedly saw a snake slithering away from the Jeep while we were fishing but you can bet your bottom dollar as we were driving home that night I put the cruise control on and kept my legs as far out the door as I could.

Below are some photos from the ordeal. Sorry about the quality, most are screenshots from a video.

Moral of the story is, check for snakes.

Jeep Gladiator Snake + JT = Not Fun DF1D81BA-4472-4BF0-ACCF-EB1030063F94

Thats one big ass NOPE ROPE or Danger Noodle or whatever you wanna call them....Set it on fire and let insurance deal with it lol

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Damn impressive pulling out the seat. If it would be my local snake it would probably be a copperhead or rattle snake maybe a water moccasin less likely to be non venous. I'm not to stressed by them but driving would up the stakes. A few weeks back I was in bed watching a video on my phone and had a scorpion walk up and stop by my head... That was a WTF moment;)
Sponsored