Sponsored

So how many Mojave owners have had steering issues or the box replaced?

Logan94605

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Things & Stuff
I'm just over 1000 miles on my Mojave and the steering floats a little on the highway but I never had a 4x4 that didn't. In your experience has the Mojave's suspension eluded the dreaded loose steering or are Mojave owners having problems as well.
Sponsored

JTMojaveTN

First Name
Cade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
I still have had the issue and I have a July 2020 build. It only bothers me on longer drives. I have an open service claim with my dealer trying to get the box replaced.

Redwings1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 1971 BB Corvette
Occupation
Sales
My was built in July and I think its terrible. I have one at the dealer that they ordered, taking it in next week.

Mojave Dr.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Naturopathic doctor
I'm just over 1000 miles on my Mojave and the steering floats a little on the highway but I never had a 4x4 that didn't. In your experience has the Mojave's suspension eluded the dreaded loose steering or are Mojave owners having problems as well.
I’m just a bit over 600 miles in, but I have to say so far - my steering feel and tracking are really good. May be due to moving into this from a 2015 JKR, so this thing feels amazing. I’m keeping my ”feel” on it to see if it loosens up with more miles. I assume the TSB will remain in effect during the warranty period?

Genoa Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave 2021 Jaguar F Type 2018 Range Rover
Occupation
Self Employed
Interesting timing on this thread. I have had a gear box replacement appointment with the selling dealer for over a month. They called me today and stated that they are having trouble getting my replacement steering box. They went on to say that they can only place a GB order every 14 days. The parts manager gave me the Customer Care 800 number and suggested that, "maybe I could get things moving..." I made that call and while the customer service rep was polite, she stated that she has "never heard" of an issue with the Gladiators steering? They, (Customer Care) logged my request and stated that they will contact the dealership and myself with a solution.

In summary...

1. our Mojave does indeed have the TSB's wandering characteristics.
2. The dealership has agreed to perform the steering box replacement.
3. Jeep dealerships are inundated with this issue and appear to be as frustrated as the Gladiator owners.

Sponsored

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
I have almost 3k on mine. I have the MT tires. My steering doesn't really feel loose or wander the way others have described, but it doesn't inspire confidence at high speed. Say, 70+ mph.

I did notice on the way home from a wheeling trip this weekend that it felt better. I almost wondered if I bent something impacting my alignment on the trail. I had reinflated the tires to 37lbs after airing down. The drive home over mountain passes and on the interstate for 3.5 hours felt fairly good. The next day I got in to drive and my tires were showing 34psi on the dash.

When I aired up, the tires were hot, so my cold pressure was a bit lower. Wondering if a couple of PSI made a difference? It did seem noticeable.

If your steering is off a bit, but not horrible, maybe drop your PSI to 33-34 and try it?

OP
OP
Logan94605

Logan94605

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Things & Stuff
I still have had the issue and I have a July 2020 build. It only bothers me on longer drives. I have an open service claim with my dealer trying to get the box replaced.
Thanks for your input!

OP
OP
Logan94605

Logan94605

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Things & Stuff
Interesting timing on this thread. I have had a gear box replacement appointment with the selling dealer for over a month. They called me today and stated that they are having trouble getting my replacement steering box. They went on to say that they can only place a GB order every 14 days. The parts manager gave me the Customer Care 800 number and suggested that, "maybe I could get things moving..." I made that call and while the customer service rep was polite, she stated that she has "never heard" of an issue with the Gladiators steering? They, (Customer Care) logged my request and stated that they will contact the dealership and myself with a solution.

In summary...

1. our Mojave does indeed have the TSB's wandering characteristics.
2. The dealership has agreed to perform the steering box replacement.
3. Jeep dealerships are inundated with this issue and appear to be as frustrated as the Gladiator owners.
Thanks Genoa! It seems like there is mixed feelings on the issue depending on where you're coming from. I came from an Audi as my daily driver and a 2014 Tacoma 4x4 as my weekend ride and it's definitely not going to track like my sticky little A3 but it is a little floaty on the multi-lane freeway doing 70! Is there a problem... That's what I'm trying to figure out.

OP
OP
Logan94605

Logan94605

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Things & Stuff
I have almost 3k on mine. I have the MT tires. My steering doesn't really feel loose or wander the way others have described, but it doesn't inspire confidence at high speed. Say, 70+ mph.

I did notice on the way home from a wheeling trip this weekend that it felt better. I almost wondered if I bent something impacting my alignment on the trail. I had reinflated the tires to 37lbs after airing down. The drive home over mountain passes and on the interstate for 3.5 hours felt fairly good. The next day I got in to drive and my tires were showing 34psi on the dash.

When I aired up, the tires were hot, so my cold pressure was a bit lower. Wondering if a couple of PSI made a difference? It did seem noticeable.

If your steering is off a bit, but not horrible, maybe drop your PSI to 33-34 and try it?
Thanks SloW8 !

Agreed about the confidence at high speed. On a 5 lane freeway packed with semis and idiots it gets pretty dicey but I'm not sure if it's a steering issue or just the nature of the beast. My daily driver was an Audi a3 that you couldn't peel the tires from the pavement by I've also owned 2 CJ7s and a couple Tacoma's so I know a 4x4 will float. I guess I'm trying to figure out if the Mojave has less issues than this before it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Logan94605

Logan94605

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Things & Stuff

I'm going to try airing down... I'm running 39-40 from the dealer. Maybe I'll start at 39 and move down from there.

OP
OP
Logan94605

Logan94605

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Things & Stuff
I came across this great review from Autotrader. This caption pretty much sums up what I'm feeling with my Mojave. It definitely loves the rougher roads...It's eats up what my Audi would surrender to but is subservient to a downhill bumpy negative curve at high speed.

It is what it is ;-)

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/off-the-beaten-road-the-2021-jeep-gladiator-reviewed-2020-10-08

Behind the wheel
With great build quality throughout, the Jeep Gladiator inspires confidence. That said, although the Gladiator always feels safe and planted, its solid axles — installed purely for their off-road benefits — bring some disadvantages on the tarmac.

The Gladiator is a little wobbly when cornering and doesn’t absorb potholes as well as other midsize trucks. This is because, unlike the more on-road-oriented independent front suspensions (found in the rest of this class) that allow each wheel to absorb bumps individually, a solid axle transfers motion from one wheel across the axle to the other.

Running over a road imperfection with the left tire means both the left and right tires absorb the impact, which is then felt throughout the entire vehicle. As a result, drivers may experience greater fatigue in the Gladiator over long highway stretches, because of the greater effort it takes to control it.

Once off-road, though, any on-road shortcomings dissipate quickly. Even the Sport and Overland models have serious off-road talents, with standard 4-wheel drive, 40.8-degree approach angle, 18.4-degree breakover angle, and 25-degree departure angle. The comfortable Overland can still perform admirably in deep mud ruts and slippery conditions despite road-going tires.

Jeep has its Trail Rated badge that it applies to its most talented off-roading variants. The Mojave trim has a new Desert Rated designation. This version is built for high-speed off-road adventures, like Baja racer.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Ensure alignment (toe specifically) and tire pressure (32-34 psi are much better than 40!) and then assess your steering. It is important to note that steering never gets better with time. In fact, a little play now is often a lot of play later.

I hope that since we finally have an official TSB from Jeep on the crappy steering box that after a certain date all new Jeeps will have the new box and the slug of back order replacements will start to diminish making it easier to find a replacement.

Bottom line, if you have loose steering and you are certain everything is tight, intact and aligned properly, your tire pressure is appropriate and it concerns you, have the dealer check it out. It will not get better over time, in fact it will probably get worse. Having a service record at the dealer even if they can’t solve the problem at the time works in your favor. Also, in our favor is that TSBs impacting safe operation like steering, brakes, fuel, etc. survive warrantee periods. That said, if you are concerned, it is a good practice to have a service record of your issue prior to the end of your warranty.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Hey OP...just had my steering box replaced yesterday to satisfy the TSB. Tremendous difference! I traded my 2017 RAM on this vehicle and now it drives as good as the RAM did. MUCH more stable at all speeds but especially better at highway speeds. My wife will now drive the Jeep again!

Get it done! You won't be sorry!
Sponsored