So, what is everybody towing?

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
That’s good to know actually. I HATE my z71, but it’s a company truck so can’t complain much. I’m due for a new one this year. Was pushing for a raptor, but don’t think it’s gonna happen, so the zr2 diesel is my next option.
That diesel is trash. Don’t get it. Super slow and also has issues. It’s a 4cylinder and gets the old six speed auto vs the eight speed.

my dad’s truck is a 2wd Z71 so it doesn’t ride or handle as well as my All Terrain did. The front feels different and not in a good way. I think it’s still designed to have several hundred more lbs up front is all I can figure. All Terrain vs Z71 should be identical. I think it’s called the AT4 now.

what don’t you like about your work truck? I wish we had that drivetrain vs ours in the gladiator.

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Towed this beast yesterday. Was a handful. Hah. It maybe weighs 500 lbs. it’s seen better days so towed it across the neighborhood to rebuild it for a friend.
Jeep Gladiator So, what is everybody towing? 442CD9AE-2AD2-4873-A2B7-03F38A57922F

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
That diesel is trash. Don’t get it. Super slow and also has issues. It’s a 4cylinder and gets the old six speed auto vs the eight speed.

my dad’s truck is a 2wd Z71 so it doesn’t ride or handle as well as my All Terrain did. The front feels different and not in a good way. I think it’s still designed to have several hundred more lbs up front is all I can figure. All Terrain vs Z71 should be identical. I think it’s called the AT4 now.

what don’t you like about your work truck? I wish we had that drivetrain vs ours in the gladiator.
Well, poop. I did see GM was discontinuing the diesel.
My z71 is gutless. No power, trans slips like crazy, been in 3 times for that. The truck shakes, rattles, and feels like it’s about to fall apart. Just a chincy truck.
I have just under 80k on it.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Well, poop. I did see GM was discontinuing the diesel.
My z71 is gutless. No power, trans slips like crazy, been in 3 times for that. The truck shakes, rattles, and feels like it’s about to fall apart. Just a chincy truck.
I have just under 80k on it.
The only issue I had or my father had was the transmission. They fixed both of them. The old transmission fluid was hygroscopic and once the water contamination got bad then it started getting torque converter flutter and acting up in conditions like stop and go traffic. Don’t get me wrong, I got super pissed when mine would do it. The proper fluid and flush and new fluid and they were both flawless after. Sounds like it needed to go to a different dealership They might still fix it since documented under warranty.

I don’t understand the gutless part though. They’re super quick trucks. Mine did 0-60 in 6.1 sec bone stock. My father’s feels noticeably faster since it’s 2wd and lighter. In normal driving or light towing it feels about like the gladiator power wise, but when you step on it and it goes over 4K rpm, it’s a different engine. It rips to the 7200 rpm redline. It’s fun to floor it.

when I towed the last time, I was exhausted and over it and I hit traffic in Atlanta close to where I dropping off the trailer. If you’re familiar at all, 285W and I-20 backs up because there’s a big hill and the trucks can’t go very fast up it, but when merging on if you can get over in the far left lane get get around it and give it some gas up the hill you’re good. I did that pulling that 6k+ lb trailer and it did it. It pulled strong to the redline in second gear up that steep ass hill. It was probably hard on it and shouldn’t be done regularly, but that’s pretty impressive IMO. I don’t think there’s a shot in hell that my gladiator could do that with 33 less hp and like 700 lbs heavier.

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The only issue I had or my father had was the transmission. They fixed both of them. The old transmission fluid was hygroscopic and once the water contamination got bad then it started getting torque converter flutter and acting up in conditions like stop and go traffic. Don’t get me wrong, I got super pissed when mine would do it. The proper fluid and flush and new fluid and they were both flawless after. Sounds like it needed to go to a different dealership They might still fix it since documented under warranty.

I don’t understand the gutless part though. They’re super quick trucks. Mine did 0-60 in 6.1 sec bone stock. My father’s feels noticeably faster since it’s 2wd and lighter. In normal driving or light towing it feels about like the gladiator power wise, but when you step on it and it goes over 4K rpm, it’s a different engine. It rips to the 7200 rpm redline. It’s fun to floor it.

when I towed the last time, I was exhausted and over it and I hit traffic in Atlanta close to where I dropping off the trailer. If you’re familiar at all, 285W and I-20 backs up because there’s a big hill and the trucks can’t go very fast up it, but when merging on if you can get over in the far left lane get get around it and give it some gas up the hill you’re good. I did that pulling that 6k+ lb trailer and it did it. It pulled strong to the redline in second gear up that steep ass hill. It was probably hard on it and shouldn’t be done regularly, but that’s pretty impressive IMO. I don’t think there’s a shot in hell that my gladiator could do that with 33 less hp and like 700 lbs heavier.
Don’t get me wrong, it is, or was, a fairly zippy truck empty. I solely think the trans is the problem. Trans has been flushed twice, and third time torque converter was replaced.
I’ve towed a handful of things, and it’s just gutless. Hell, even with 4-500 LBs of horse feed in the bed, it struggles.
If it were my personal truck, I’d be more concerned, but I’m just biding time till I can get something else.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Don’t get me wrong, it is, or was, a fairly zippy truck empty. I solely think the trans is the problem. Trans has been flushed twice, and third time torque converter was replaced.
I’ve towed a handful of things, and it’s just gutless. Hell, even with 4-500 LBs of horse feed in the bed, it struggles.
If it were my personal truck, I’d be more concerned, but I’m just biding time till I can get something else.
Yeah. It’s not right then. Mine wasn’t fixed right till 2019 when they finally figured out the third fluid that’s actually correct.

Sponsored

70deuce

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20Gladiator/01TJ/96ZJ/83CJ7/42 MB/43 GPW/70M35A2
Occupation
Retired Navy Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
1969 GTO. 400 Ram Air 4 speed. About 5800 lbs total trailer car weight. The truck tows it with ease even at our altitudes above 6000 feet where I live.

6023EBFA-2CDB-439D-9F1D-E8AB86D0E78F.jpeg

F1D5B0FD-9D40-4412-ADC9-6FD800787B2D.jpeg

C188F49D-939E-4964-9D85-4FFAE77EBC2E.jpeg

DenverBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 Sting-Gray JTRD (D1), 2002 Porsche Boxster S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Off-Road Adventure Engineer (part time)
1969 GTO. 400 Ram Air 4 speed. About 5800 lbs total trailer car weight. The truck tows it with ease even at our altitudes above 6000 feet where I live.

Jeep Gladiator So, what is everybody towing? C188F49D-939E-4964-9D85-4FFAE77EBC2E

Jeep Gladiator So, what is everybody towing? C188F49D-939E-4964-9D85-4FFAE77EBC2E

Your GTO is boss!

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Good lord, that's a good-looking car.