Sponsored

So why do I have $11K list of parts I want?

OP
OP
Troybilt

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
JEEP - Just Empty Every Pocket

I've had my (my wife's) truck for 10 days. So far I've ordered a $1200 (Rockhard) front bumper and a $1200 (Decked) storage system for the bed.

FWIW, I have been the leader on a lot of Jeep rides (including most of the big passes in the San Juan Mountains). Almost always there are 1 or 2 guys along in stock vehicles. The stock guys always get through.
I bet a few days on the trails with some folks that have been around for a bit would do wonders for my off roading abilities. Probably just as much as a lift kit. I will admit it. I am green and I am a chicken fart out there:blush:.
Sponsored

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I bet a few days on the trails with some folks that have been around for a bit would do wonders for my off roading abilities. Probably just as much as a lift kit. I will admit it. I am green and I am a chicken fart out there:blush:.

Go easy at first. I thought I was the world's greatest driver when I started. I learn something on every trip. The first thing I learned was that I was NOT the world's greatest driver. :)

Black Bear Pass (in my TJ)

OP
OP
Troybilt

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Go easy at first. I thought I was the world's greatest driver when I started. I learn something on every trip. The first thing I learned was that I was NOT the world's greatest driver. :)

Link is no good. I have been looking at a family trip to do Black Bear and then Moab in the spring. My son will be off to collage soon after.

I'm more of the mindset that I don't know what the heck I'm doing and that I don't belong out here:LOL:.

STEELCITYDJ87

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTM White, 2021 JLR Black

I would need to change my pants after that...especially thinking about doing that in my JT...I had anxiety watching it.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I keep saying that I bought a JTR even though it was out of my price range because it is my dream vehicle. So why do I think I need to stick another $11K into it? So far this is my list . I think my best bet is to save up for the lift and then the rest will come much easier. I won't spend $15 on a stubby antennae until I get the lift kit and American Adventure Lab parts. It has been 3 months since I bought anything for my truck and it is not easy :crying:

Rock Krawler 3.0 Pro-X No Limits Coil Over System.
https://rockkrawler.com/3-inch-pro-x-no-limits-coil-over-system/

Motobilt Skid Plate System.
https://motobilt.com/products/jeep-jt-gladiator-skid-system

American Adventure Lab High-Line Fender Brace DTRL
https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-high-line-fender-brace-with-daytime-running-lights/

American Adventure Lab Quick Release Front Inner Fenders ( body color match).
https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-jt-quick-release-front-inner-fenders/

Milestar Patagonia M/T 38X13.5R17
https://www.speedytire.com/tires/mi...ping&msclkid=225a25239c82145a8d5c7a8b5f6c606b

Aluminum beedlocks. not sure witch ones yet but like the Vision 398
https://www.carid.com/vision-wheels/398-manx-competition-beadlock-machined-392942010.html
I see your list and raise you another $9000.
I’ve bought and drove my truck home May 20,2020.
Since that date I have spent the same amount a new small car would cost. Just under $20,000. I’m sad just thinking about it. Ugh...

Sponsored

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Link is no good. I have been looking at a family trip to do Black Bear and then Moab in the spring. My son will be off to collage soon after.

I'm more of the mindset that I don't know what the heck I'm doing and that I don't belong out here:LOL:.
The link is working for others. What are you surfing with?

Black Bear is only open for a short time each year. Mid July til mid-October is probably the average time period. There is a ton of stuff to do in the area. Here is my trip report from August 2020.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/colorado-2020.1468019/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Troybilt

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
The link is working for others. What are you surfing with?

Black Bear is only open for a short time each year. Mid July til mid-October is probably the average time period. there is a ton of stuff to do in the area. Here is my trip report form August 2020.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/colorado-2020.1468019/
I did find it on youtube. I enjoyed listening to Sinead O'Connor again. She had a beautiful voice. If I remember right Prince wrote that song. So how steep is the part in the video where the guy is walking his bike down? How narrow does the path get?

Thanks for the info. I was planning my trip for mid June. Sounds like I may be a bit early. Maybe able to push it back a bit depending on what summer job my boy ends up with.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
You've just solidified my point that you can wait on the skid plate system and fender liners - do some basic off tossing and get some seat time as a passenger first

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I did find it on youtube. I enjoyed listening to Sinead O'Connor again. She had a beautiful voice. If I remember right Prince wrote that song. So how steep is the part in the video where the guy is walking his bike down? How narrow does the path get?

Thanks for the info. I was planning my trip for mid June. Sounds like I may be a bit early. Maybe able to push it back a bit depending on what summer job my boy ends up with.

It is very steep. I was in low range and low gear and using the brakes. The road is wide enough. It is one way from the pass down to the powerhouse. That helps a lot. The 2nd switchback and the 2 big steps (at the start of the movie) were the scariest parts for me. On the 2nd switchback, there is loose dirt in the turn. Think low range, low gear, brakes on full and tires sliding. :) Wheelers with a lot of Colorado experience say Black Bear is not that hard but there are "expert consequences". All of the other passes I did were easier the second time except Black Bear. The intensity level on black Bear was just as high on the second trip as the first.

Prince wrote "Nothing Compares to You". I didn't think much of Prince when he was alive. I have learned better. What a talent! Here is a movie of Prince in an all-star group at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He takes over at the end of this song.

OP
OP
Troybilt

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Prince wrote "Nothing Compares to You". I didn't think much of Prince when he was alive. I have learned better. What a talent! Here is a movie of Prince in an all-star group at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He takes over at the end of this song.
Prince would go and get hookers and bring them back to his home and then just sit them down and read them the bible. I learned that years ago and have never been able to figure out if that was a good thing about him or a creepy thing. I lean toward creepy i guess but I was not there.

Sponsored

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
Because the internet has convinced us that we NEED all this super-awesome expensive stuff. I remember staring at a JC Whitney catalog dreaming about stuff for my first CJ. Now there are websites, forums, social media and YouTube to tempt us. It’s like they’re trying to control our minds for their own profit...
/Thread

Most of the things on your list are either completely or mostly unnecessary. Forget the quick detach inner fender, the fender supports and the skid plate system. For skids unless you are doing some serious rock hopping I strongly recommend a front diff skid (like the one from metalcloak but there are others) FCA decided the front pumpkin needed a drain plug in the bottom... which is stupid, and i have seen several get pushed in on the trail. I also recommend the frame side LCA skids from Rustys... and thats about it for skids. I have beat the snot out of many jeeps and i can tell you that unless you are going serious rock hopping skids are way way over rated.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Because the internet has convinced us that we NEED all this super-awesome expensive stuff. I remember staring at a JC Whitney catalog dreaming about stuff for my first CJ. Now there are websites, forums, social media and YouTube to tempt us. It’s like they’re trying to control our minds for their own profit...
You've seen "The Social Dilemma" no doubt.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
It’s because you LOVE your Jeep and want to buy it nice things. Kind of like having wife. :LOL:

wowh woah woah what’s this about wanting to buy a wife nice things?
I didn’t get that gene

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I did look at starting with the Pro-X stage 1 and then adding the rest later. It would end up coasting close to $800 more in the long run if I did go to the coilovers and the rear remote reservoir shocks. I know I don't NEED the coilovers but I'm having a hard time convincing my self that right now.
If you drove two Gladiators, one with coil overs and one with equally good aftermarket shocks I guarantee you’d never know the difference from the driver’s seat. Well, at least not for years until you’ve driven hundreds of miles off road and pushed your Gladiator hard doing it.

You’re like a guy wanting to be a pilot never having flown a plane, buying an acrobatic airplane.

Either you have too much money or you’re dreaming (nothing wrong with either of those). Drive your JEEP off road stock for a while and then decide what you need. It sure ain’t coilovers!
Sponsored