Soft brake pedal on my Gladiator Rubicon

jnack

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTD
havent changed them out yet..I unfortunately had a major heart attack and triple bypass not too long after i posted and just recently started driving..still going to be awhile before I can pull my sorry ass up into my Jeep :(
sorry to hear about that, best wishes on a speedy recovery
Sponsored

jeepmojo

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
electrician
Mine was weak from the time I bought it dec of 21 I double tap the brake to bring it up . I told them this but they never looked at it during first year of nitemare issues . It’s still this way too. It really should be a recall like other said
Jeep Gladiator Soft brake pedal on my Gladiator Rubicon 3BFC5F68-DAF3-4255-B1E0-25B6AA613970

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is low brake booster pressure.
Diesels don't create vacuum like a gas engine, so boost comes from a hydraulic or electric booster.
Low booster vacuum is reason for a hard pedal, difficult to push, not a soft pdeal.

Mine was weak from the time I bought it dec of 21 I double tap the brake to bring it up . I told them this but they never looked at it during first year of nitemare issues . It’s still this way too. It really should be a recall like other said
Recall? For what? The brakes work fine. My Silverado was always where it went down farther on the first push compared to subsequent pedal presses. Yet it braked fine, hauled, towed, never a problem. Just a different feel from others.
I wonder if many are trying to compare to other vehicles - and that shouldn't be the case.
I've owned two of these and yes, the pedal is different, but it's more akin to a graduated application of the brakes, not faulty brakes. It'll stop 5,000 pounds just fine. I've had to "hit the brakes!" more than once, and it's never failed. It's a lot like my Chevy was. My ford always had a solid pedal, it was just different, not better. In fact, the rear-only ABS was a joke and just plain deadly! Most F250 owers disabled that garbage system it was so bad. (there was never a recall)
There's nothing to recall here. The brakes work. They are just more like Chevy than certain other brands. They stop and stop fine (otherwise I'd have been calling DNR a couple of times to get deer removed from the road (and my JT would be in the shop for repairs). I've had people on the highway slam on brakes because they weren't paying attention and I had to do similar (but wasn't following so close). Been in mountains in traffic jams in extreme traffic - never a braking. Pike's Peak- never any issue.
Different, but not faulty.

MudderNuker

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Retired@52
My '21 Willy's feels the same but it stops really well once you press beyond half way. My '92 YJ when I bought it, I didn't feel safe going over 30 MPH. That is how bad the brakes were. Years of no maintenance will do that. I replaced everything, disks, drums, pads and bands and now it stops nicely. If I recall correctly, my 2012 JKU felt the same as the JT.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Low booster vacuum is reason for a hard pedal, difficult to push, not a soft pdeal.

Recall? For what? The brakes work fine. My Silverado was always where it went down farther on the first push compared to subsequent pedal presses. Yet it braked fine, hauled, towed, never a problem. Just a different feel from others.
I wonder if many are trying to compare to other vehicles - and that shouldn't be the case.
I've owned two of these and yes, the pedal is different, but it's more akin to a graduated application of the brakes, not faulty brakes. It'll stop 5,000 pounds just fine. I've had to "hit the brakes!" more than once, and it's never failed. It's a lot like my Chevy was. My ford always had a solid pedal, it was just different, not better. In fact, the rear-only ABS was a joke and just plain deadly! Most F250 owers disabled that garbage system it was so bad. (there was never a recall)
There's nothing to recall here. The brakes work. They are just more like Chevy than certain other brands. They stop and stop fine (otherwise I'd have been calling DNR a couple of times to get deer removed from the road (and my JT would be in the shop for repairs). I've had people on the highway slam on brakes because they weren't paying attention and I had to do similar (but wasn't following so close). Been in mountains in traffic jams in extreme traffic - never a braking. Pike's Peak- never any issue.
Different, but not faulty.
Had rear anti lock brakes on my 08 Power Wagon. They were OK for the most part. Unless you were hard on the brake pedal and hit a bump. That would unload the rear axle and the pedal would go to the floor. You had to do a quick second pump of the pedal to get it to come back up.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Had rear anti lock brakes on my 08 Power Wagon. They were OK for the most part. Unless you were hard on the brake pedal and hit a bump. That would unload the rear axle and the pedal would go to the floor. You had to do a quick second pump of the pedal to get it to come back up.
Wow, that's weird.

One other thing that hasn't been talked about - these have a very different brake pedal, pedal sensing and with 4 wheel disk brakes, there's no residual pressure valves to hold pressure in the calipers like there was with drum brakes. So as the wheels turn, the normal imperfections in the rotors push or nudge the brake pads back a bit. First pump removes all play, second will be higher, maybe more firm, because the pads are again against the rotors until a few more rotations move the pads back again.
These also detect how hard you are pressing the brakes for various reasons, including the much-hated and maligned infamous ESS (and traction and stability control, and I've noticed it pays attention to how hard I brake for a split second when going down a hill. Do it just right and it seems to downshift and apply engine braking to keep me from speeding up going down a good hill. Don't hit the brakes firmly enough, it won't do it.

IzzyO

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I've experienced this soft brake pedal as well. The problem really came about and was noticeable after an incident where I hit some ice and the ABS engaged. After trying the normal bleeding of brakes & checking the components of the brake system the only thing that ended up fixing it was to bleed the brakes with the ABS active. I'm not sure why the ABS engaging would cause there to be air in the brake lines or maybe it was there already. All I know is that it is now fixed after bleeding the brakes with the ABS active.

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, I'm starting a new thread on this after unsuccessfully searching for mention of this problem. Basically the brakes on my truck work fine and are pretty similar to other trucks I've owned, including my previous Gladiator. However the brake pedal on my new truck has a distinctly soft or mushy feel that I don't remember being on the 2020 Gladiator I had. The new one is a diesel so it's heavier in the front, both were Rubicons, and it's unrelated to any wheel or tire changes (same on stock wheels/tires). The brake pedal feel is like what one gets with air in the lines, or a leaking caliper, or a bad master cylinder, or worn out rubber brake lines. There's no fluid loss anywhere, so that rules out an actual leak, but I just don't have enough experience with Jeeps to know if this is typical or not typical. Again, there's no lack of actual stopping power, just this soft pedal that doesn't feel good. I used to race cars and the feeling is similar to when we would overheat the brakes and boil the fluid or cook the pads, which of course hasn't happened with my new truck. I'm totally capable of changing parts or bleeding the system, I just don't know where to start. Any helpful advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!
i got a 23' JTM, it felt mushy when i got it and i assumed they were all like that. I got a Tazer JL and now it seems adaptive? like if your ginger with it, it almost feels like you got pump it but still somehow has plenty of stopping power. its very disconnecting. However if you fucking get on it quick and hard, its immeadiately firm with minimal travel before it bites. IDK whats going on but its like its electronically progressive/smart now i guess.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Changing brake fluid this weekend - sounds like I first do a normal fluid change and bleed.... then bleed one more time using AlfaOBD to trigger the "ABS Brake Bleed" function?

Toyfrog

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Changing brake fluid this weekend - sounds like I first do a normal fluid change and bleed.... then bleed one more time using AlfaOBD to trigger the "ABS Brake Bleed" function?
Took mine to the dealership for the third time for this. They said they couldn’t find anything wrong even though the tech said if you push the brake and let off and push it again that it firms up. I told them that if it sat for a few days, that sometimes the brake pedal would be like a rock on startup. He said that’s normal sometimes. 🙄

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Opened the service USB since I am doing this today, figured I'd post the bleed page straight from it. If you bleed ABS they want you to do another "regular" bleed after:

Jeep Gladiator Soft brake pedal on my Gladiator Rubicon 1709996867698
Sponsored