Sponsored

Soft Top Noise 78+

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
How did you have this issue fixed? I purchased a gladiator yesterday and noticed that this morning on the highway at 78+ I was having such a loud noise I couldn't hear myself talk. I called the dealership and they want me to bring it in but said they had not heard of the issue. I was wondering how you had it fixed so maybe I could let them know. Thanks!
The first rule of Dealerships is never believe dealerships. ;)

Secondly, for those of you with a noise issue. Can you stuff a piece of foam or something between the fabric and frame to see if that helps?
Sponsored

Squints

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
The first rule of Dealerships is never believe dealerships. ;)

Secondly, for those of you with a noise issue. Can you stuff a piece of foam or something between the fabric and frame to see if that helps?
The noise is like a terrible Reverb noise that is so loud, I had to scream at the top of my lungs for the passenger to hear me. I don't want to have to out foam or something that is a temp fix there. I see the OP had the issue a year ago, so I was curious what was done.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
The noise is like a terrible Reverb noise that is so loud, I had to scream at the top of my lungs for the passenger to hear me. I don't want to have to out foam or something that is a temp fix there. I see the OP had the issue a year ago, so I was curious what was done.
Welcome to the world of soft top Jeep's. On my Wrangler if I have both side windows cracked just right the side windows of the top will slap the support at about 120 slaps per minute.

I really have no answer. I just know that soft tops will do strange things with or without the windows down, at certain speeds and weather conditions. Just the nature of the beast. Both my old S2000 and C6 had similar issues.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Chasing a very loud noise on the soft top at 78+mph.

Someone suggested the passenger inner fender (which certainly is loose). I zip tied it to the frame - but apparently, that was not my problem.

When the noise starts, if I push slightly on the top (between the driver and passenger sides) it certainly almost completely goes away. Which leaves me to two questions at this point...

1. Will it get worse (or better) as the top loosens over time?
2. What will the fix be? New crossbeam? Additional support. Stronger or different material?

Anybody else with a soft top notice this yet?
your convertible jeep is loud on the highway?!?!

Jeep Gladiator Soft Top Noise 78+ A0776BC8-CBDF-48EB-A199-E846C6867A68

next gen wrangler is going to be a IFS/IRS Cuv just so jeep can make the “gas mileage, wind noise, and bumpy ride” crowd happy.

i did my soft top days in a YJ and a Defender. Had enough. I went hard top with HotHead/sound assassins this time. Not as quiet as my woman’s GC, but stereo volume 8-10 is loud enough for book on tape at 65-70. I call that a win. What youre experiencing is par for the course, although I understand your convertible porsche/bmw is quieter.

Squints

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome to the world of soft top Jeep's. On my Wrangler if I have both side windows cracked just right the side windows of the top will slap the support at about 120 slaps per minute.

I really have no answer. I just know that soft tops will do strange things with or without the windows down, at certain speeds and weather conditions. Just the nature of the beast. Both my old S2000 and C6 had similar issues.

I used to have a 2001 Wrangler and never ran into this issue, then in a 2011 Wrangler didn't have the issue either. I know soft tops are going to be louder, but this is unbearable. To the point the dealership said they may replace the top or suggest a hard top. Very frustrating a day after spending $40K on a new jeep! haha

Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the premium soft top. almost 14k miles.. havent had that issue... mine has been relatively quiet... maybe tighten your latches... dunno

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
Mines going in Monday am for this same issue. Its a very loud resonance and yes, placing something the stretches the fabric helped tremendously, however Im not doing that permanately. It is very loud for a soft top, Ive had several. This is as loud as a bikini top on my LJR

OP
OP
Godfadr

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
How did you have this issue fixed? I purchased a gladiator yesterday and noticed that this morning on the highway at 78+ I was having such a loud noise I couldn't hear myself talk. I called the dealership and they want me to bring it in but said they had not heard of the issue. I was wondering how you had it fixed so maybe I could let them know. Thanks!
For me...the top finally 'wore in' I guess. Once it stretched out it seemed to go away.

OP
OP
Godfadr

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
your convertible jeep is loud on the highway?!?!

Jeep Gladiator Soft Top Noise 78+ A0776BC8-CBDF-48EB-A199-E846C6867A68

next gen wrangler is going to be a IFS/IRS Cuv just so jeep can make the “gas mileage, wind noise, and bumpy ride” crowd happy.

i did my soft top days in a YJ and a Defender. Had enough. I went hard top with HotHead/sound assassins this time. Not as quiet as my woman’s GC, but stereo volume 8-10 is loud enough for book on tape at 65-70. I call that a win. What youre experiencing is par for the course, although I understand your convertible porsche/bmw is quieter.
LOL - No...it was a different issue. This is the 7th Jeep I have had...so pretty familiar with the noise level. Turns out there was a known problem with a bow piece that Jeep needed to replace.
Sponsored