Sponsored

Soft top summer; hard top winter

hoch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I was planning to run a hard top year round but got thinking maybe I’ll run soft during summer and hardtop in winter. I’ve never had a Wrangler so I don’t know how much of a pain this will be and if I’ll just end up leaving the hardtop on. I do have space to store the hardtop so that’s not an issue.

But if I were plan for this, is it best to get the hard top, then get an aftermarket soft top? Or just get the soft top and hard top from Jeep?
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It's definitely best to get the "Dual Top Group" from the factory. You'll save big money, and you'll have electrical/plumbing pre-run to the back of the vehicle.

I'm not sure if the Gladiator soft top will be easier or harder to remove than the Wrangler soft top, but personally I'd get tired of switching twice a year I think. You should order both tops, and you'll soon find out which you like best. OR, maybe you will like both.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I am getting both tops OEM. I had dual tops on my last YJ. Loved it. I don't know about the JT, but on the YJ the switch took 2 hours at most, once in the winter and once in the summer.

ClawSS

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Sierra, 2010 Camaro. 2009 300C SRT8, 2004 Silverado
I think hardtop only with a Sunrider in place of the Freedom panels in the spring/summer/fall. Just can't see keeping up with the panels wanting to take them out when the sun comes out after work...but also would rather uninstall a Sunrider and put the panels back in for the Kentucky winters.

Soft-top to hard top on a JT isn't as big of a change with top open if no one in the back. I doubt I'll be taking the doors off. YMMV.

avc8130

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
I have a dual top setup for my JKU. I like having the hard top for winter because it has real glass windows and a rear defroster. These are great for getting ice of the vehicle in the Northeast. I like having the soft top in the summer because the Sunrider opens up over the front and rear passengers and my kids love it. The Freedom Panels are a royal pain in the ass in my opinion.

Sponsored

OP
OP

hoch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Thanks for the replies. I am getting the Sport, so there is no Dual Top option. So I will go ahead and get the hard top so it'll have all the connections installed, then get the soft top afterwards.

DamonC64

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rubicon
I'm going with the hard top because I'm hoping an aftermarket soft top comes along that folds down all the way to the bed.

OP
OP

hoch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I'm going with the hard top because I'm hoping an aftermarket soft top comes along that folds down all the way to the bed.
That would be fantastic. The way OEM should've come.

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible
That's my plan too. And I don't like the look of the factory soft top. I'm hoping an aftermarket options sits lower/closer to the roll cage.

SmallValley

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Does anyone know if the soft top comes installed with the hard top when you order the dual group? Does the hard top come installed and then you need to install the soft top when you want to use it or is the soft top already under the hard top? I have asked my local Dealer and they don’t know? I understand the reason to order the hard top from factory as its pre wired. I don’t want the toneua cover and Jeep doesn’t let you order the soft and hard top separate unless you also pay for the toneau cover. If I order the bar top now can I add a soft top latter?

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Does anyone know if the soft top comes installed with the hard top when you order the dual group? Does the hard top come installed and then you need to install the soft top when you want to use it or is the soft top already under the hard top? I have asked my local Dealer and they don’t know? I understand the reason to order the hard top from factory as its pre wired. I don’t want the toneua cover and Jeep doesn’t let you order the soft and hard top separate unless you also pay for the toneau cover. If I order the bar top now can I add a soft top latter?
You can NOT have both tops on at the same time, one does not fit over the other. If you order dual tops you will get the hard top on the jeep and the soft top will be in a big ass box. In the wrangler the box took up all of the back seat on on a 2 door or all of the cargo room on an unlimited. Not sure on the JT, I assume they will make it fit in the back seat sense its a smaller top, and that would protect it over having it transported in the bed, but that could be the reason they require the tonneau cover. I am getting dual tops for sure, but I would also pass on the tonneau if I could.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That would be fantastic. The way OEM should've come.
FCA engineers considered that, but since it's a pickup truck they felt it would be stupid to fold the soft top into the area where people will be hauling things. Not only would that reduce the already small bed length, but it would also put the top in a space where the fabric could be damaged easily.

So that's why they designed it to stay up on top of the cab out of the way.

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
FCA engineers considered that, but since it's a pickup truck they felt it would be stupid to fold the soft top into the area where people will be hauling things. Not only would that reduce the already small bed length, but it would also put the top in a space where the fabric could be damaged easily.

So that's why they designed it to stay up on top of the cab out of the way.
I disagree with the logic...but I haven’t had to live with it yet. I mean, the top would be folded in the same location that a tonneau cover occupies when folded...but at least it wouldn’t look more awkward than the word awkward.

OP
OP

hoch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I disagree with the logic...but I haven’t had to live with it yet. I mean, the top would be folded in the same location that a tonneau cover occupies when folded...but at least it wouldn’t look more awkward than the word awkward.
I can see both sides. If I were hauling cargo, most likely, I'd have the top up anyway, so it wouldn't really matter. But heading out on a camping trip with the family and bed full of gear, it would be nice to be able to put the top down.

But 100% agreed, the OEM top folded looks really awkward.

bigbeerdrinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JKU Sahara, 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Does anyone know when you order the Dual Top group if the the soft top come assembled in the box and ready to put on the Gladiator? The reason I ask is because my cousin ordered the soft top after he purchased his Wrangler and it came in pieces. By pieces I mean he had to fasten the fabric to the bars, and completely assemble it before he could put it on the Wrangler.
Sponsored