Hard Top and Sunrider, one for winter and one for summer

Jwarrenod

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Galdiator
How reasonable is it to run the Sunrider or similar tops in the summer here in WI and switch back to the hard top panels for winter?

JW
Sponsored

Loud Lyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic
Tagged for replies. Iā€™m interested in this as well

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
Installing and removing the Sunrider top probably is a 30 minute at max procedure, once you have it assembled. The only issue would be storage, otherwise it should be something that you seriously consider. It's possibly one of my most favorite mods that I have done to my Gladitor. For me in the Houston area, I put my Freedom panels in their bag and they are now sitting in a closet. Not sure if they will ever go back on.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
Swapping twice a year, no brainer.
I bitch a bit having to pull the Sunrider off to get the hard top off my JL, but its really not that much more time/effort than pulling the freedom panels, maybe 10 mins more.
Yup storing it would be the bigger challenge. I just throw it up on to the hard top before I lift it, but that wont work for your summer/winter use.

OP
OP

Jwarrenod

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Galdiator
Thanks, thatā€™s what I was looking for. Didnā€™t want it to be a ā€œforever installā€.

Winter here in WI can be hard on soft tops of all kinds!

JW

Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Opposite for me in the SW. Coming off for summer and on for winter. Itā€™s six bolts to remove the sunrider. 5-10 min tops. Totally worth it. Even better if you can find a used one like I did. šŸ‘

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

ducatijosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks, thatā€™s what I was looking for. Didnā€™t want it to be a ā€œforever installā€.

Winter here in WI can be hard on soft tops of all kinds!

JW

I do it all the time on my wrangler and gladiator, super quick and easy to swap back and forth.

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
I had the same idea that I would take off the Sunrider depending on the season. I installed Sunrider immediately after purchasing the Gladiator in January of ā€˜20 and have never found a reason to take it off. Granted, I donā€™t have the winters that you experience but Iā€™ve had it in cold and snow and never once thought I needed the hard panels.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jwarrenod

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Galdiator
Yeah, itā€™s the snow and ice that I donā€™t want to exposer a $900 option to if I can avoid it on a regular basis.
JW

redfish

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT
Occupation
Strategic Account Executive
It is a 15 minute job, do it for my wife anytime she drives north from South Carolina on her JL during the winter, and VA is a far north as she drives ;)

FreedomWV

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Freedom Edition High Velocity
Occupation
Business
I've only had mine installed for about two weeks now, agree with others that it is one of the best upgrades that you can do. I open mine up almost every time I get in now (pending weather) and I would not have done so with the freedom tops. I plan to do the same thing, remove for winter as winters here are rough sometimes. As others have mentioned 6 bolts and it is off.

MJRSC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave
Occupation
Lawyer
Installing and removing the Sunrider top probably is a 30 minute at max procedure, once you have it assembled. The only issue would be storage, otherwise it should be something that you seriously consider. It's possibly one of my most favorite mods that I have done to my Gladitor. For me in the Houston area, I put my Freedom panels in their bag and they are now sitting in a closet. Not sure if they will ever go back on.
30mins... max. The best thing you can do as a Jeep owner is get a cordless ratchet, not necessarily an impact, but the cheaper/less powerful Milwaukee. 6 torx bolts and the sunrider is off.

I remove my Sunrider for longer trips thinking the had top is a smidge quieter.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
That's my standard operating procedure. Freedom panels from mid-late October to mid May then the Bestop SunRunner top the rest of the time.

Store the soft top hanging on a couple of rubber coated bicycle hooks (using the frame of it) in the winter and the Freedom panels in the factory supplied bag (hangs on one of the hooks) for the summer.
Sponsored