Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There is nothing wrong with that. The spare is intended for emergency use. It needs to be similar in size, but not exactly the same. The warning about different size tires applies primarily to normal operation in 4-wheel drive mode.

There are those that prefer a spare identical to the other four and include it in regular rotation so all five wear evenly.
This is true, but you never know if you are going to be in 4 wheel drive when you need your spare. If it is not a big deal, I can remember, working as a tech for Jeep in the late 90s when Chrysler actually had a recall on wranglers because of a spare being 1 size smaller
Sponsored

REDBEAST

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2017 Jaguar F-Type SVR
Occupation
Retired
The problem is the sport is a different size tire and you can not run different size tires on a 4 wheel drive
You CAN run a different size tire at any point on the vehicle as long as it does not have a limited slip diff and the lockers are not engaged. you are essentially running open differentials on all JT's in that case.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
Is it a problem to use a Sport S spare with Rubicon tires?
No, it is not a problem. You have a sport which means no lockers. Even in 4wd in an emergency it will work just fine. Open diffs are made for different rotation speeds between sides. I get confused why everyone says you HAVE to have a full size spare. I think it's coming from the fact that off-road most want that spare to continue the trail on. Many vehicles come with the smaller sized "donut" spares. Those front wheel drive differentials aren't any different. Bottom line, go for it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You CAN run a different size tire at any point on the vehicle as long as it does not have a limited slip diff and the lockers are not engaged. you are essentially running open differentials on all JT's in that case.
That's why if I get a set of "Take-offs" or just change, period, I'd want a matching spare. I DO have the LSD and I want to rotate the spare into the mix when I rotate tires. We had a situation where one of my wife's GC tires had a nail close to the sidewall. No shop wanted to touch it, the thing was only a year old. I convinced one dealership to fix it as long as we used it for a spare. So we rotated her spare onto her Jeep and use the repaired one as the spare.
I figured had they not been able to fix that tire at all - and we ended up having to buy a new tire, no biggy as we'd still have matching tires and rims on the Jeep.
Otherwise, no limited slip, no plan to rotate all 5 - any spare that's close would work. Especially if all you do is use it as a spare and fix the other soon and put it back on.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I DO have the LSD
And this is when you NEED a full size spare, when you have a limited slip.

Even with the E-Locker you can just turn it off.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I should call it "Trak-Lok anti-spin" as that's their name for it............

Yes, the other locking axles you simply turn the lock off.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I am not of the mind that you must have an identical diameter spare, even with a limited slip. If you experience a tire emergency on the rear, you can move your right front tire (where the FAD allows it to rotate independently) to the rear, then put the spare on the right front. I am also curious whether the Rubicon FAD could be unplugged while the locker is engaged, if extra traction was needed while the spare was on. I might have to test that to see what happens...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I am not of the mind that you must have an identical diameter spare, even with a limited slip. If you experience a tire emergency on the rear, you can move your right front tire (where the FAD allows it to rotate independently) to the rear, then put the spare on the right front. I am also curious whether the Rubicon FAD could be unplugged while the locker is engaged, if extra traction was needed while the spare was on. I might have to test that to see what happens...
That works - but maybe you have a flat on a muddy precarious site in the middle of a rain storm - or it's 20 below, blowing and snowing - LOL - I opt for the fast and simple over my luck - something happen in the worst of conditions - not a nice 72 degree windless sunny day. :(

But in the end you are correct - you don't HAVE to have a matching spare - there ARE options.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am also curious whether the Rubicon FAD could be unplugged while the locker is engaged, if extra traction was needed while the spare was on. I might have to test that to see what happens...
If you need 4wd this bad and it's that much of an "emergency", first I would assume you are on ground that doesn't have great traction, so running 2 different size tires on the locker is going to be just fine. Just needs to allow one tire to slip more than the other. We aren't talking a 26" tire to a 37" tire here. We are talking some pretty small numbers in this situation. Don't overthink this.

However..this can be different for everyone. IF you are going on a long overlanding trip and will be off-pavement and away from a spot to get a spare fixed or a new tire. THEN you probably want to carry that full size spare. So if you do trash a tire, you swap it out and don't think about it again. For daily driving and weekend trips to the local trails...how much of an emergency is it really?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you need 4wd this bad and it's that much of an "emergency", first I would assume you are on ground that doesn't have great traction, so running 2 different size tires on the locker is going to be just fine. Just needs to allow one tire to slip more than the other. We aren't talking a 26" tire to a 37" tire here. We are talking some pretty small numbers in this situation. Don't overthink this.

However..this can be different for everyone. IF you are going on a long overlanding trip and will be off-pavement and away from a spot to get a spare fixed or a new tire. THEN you probably want to carry that full size spare. So if you do trash a tire, you swap it out and don't think about it again. For daily driving and weekend trips to the local trails...how much of an emergency is it really?
Well said.
Yes, different uses for these, different people, different situations and abilities.
Don't over-think it - how will YOU use this and think of your own personal situations. There is no perfect one-answer-fits-all for spares - only general things to consider. Having A spare is better than having NO spare in any case.
Use of the Jeep, do you want to rotate in the spare or not? That's important for some, others don't give a rat's hind end.

Sponsored

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
This conversation was perfect for me. I am running 38"s and it was my understanding that in a pinch I can run the 33"s that came on the rubicon until I quickly get a new tire or repair.

Sx3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2018 JLUR, 1997 Wrangler Sport
Hmmm?

your-spare-tire.jpg

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
This conversation was perfect for me. I am running 38"s and it was my understanding that in a pinch I can run the 33"s that came on the rubicon until I quickly get a new tire or repair.
Similar situation here. Getting ready to order 37s and wheels for my JTR. I have a full size spare on my JKU and have in almost 200k miles....knock on wood, never needed the spare other than in the 5 tire rotation.
So my dilemma was..do I need a full size spare or will the factory 33 get me home. I would like a fullsize but all that underneath is a lot of clearance lost and in the northeast a disaster for any aftermarket wheel. Was thinking of buying a fullsize just for wheeling but reality is I can take one of my JKUs 37s for a wheeling trip.
I guess the real question is...spend an extra 5-6 hundred or not...LOL

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Similar situation here. Getting ready to order 37s and wheels for my JTR. I have a full size spare on my JKU and have in almost 200k miles....knock on wood, never needed the spare other than in the 5 tire rotation.
So my dilemma was..do I need a full size spare or will the factory 33 get me home. I would like a fullsize but all that underneath is a lot of clearance lost and in the northeast a disaster for any aftermarket wheel. Was thinking of buying a fullsize just for wheeling but reality is I can take one of my JKUs 37s for a wheeling trip.
I guess the real question is...spend an extra 5-6 hundred or not...LOL
I can’t confirm, but watching a few videos you can get a 37” deflated tire in the stock spare spot underneath the bed. Of course you have to carry your air fill solution with you, but it’s another option.

If you have a flat in the rear, move a full size tire to the rear flat and put the smaller spare on the front. You can get home on the road.

The challenge is if you are on a rough trail that requires 4x4 and front and rear locked.

For me, daily driver will have the 33” unless I find a 35” for cheap. That is enough to get me home. I don’t want to take up the bed all the time since I use it.

For a challenging off road trip, I am planning on buying a 38” spare to throw in the bed. Rim spec (width and size) to match but not the color etc. I may just fine a cheaper steel 17 rim that will fit a 13.5 wide 38” tire.
More than happy to hear other thoughts. I may have to consider a deflated but mounted 37 underneath. Need to do more research on that.

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With my comments in mind, this is until someone has an oversized tire mounting solution :). Hello vendors :)
Sponsored