Steering issue after Mopar lift

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Put the stock steering stabilizer back on, then did front and rear adjustable track bars. Drives like a dream!
I don't mean to say I told you so but.... :D

Glad you got it fixed man. I'll be picking up my Gladiator this Saturday we should meet up sometime!
Sponsored

smess

When you lift a Jeep the two things happen, the front axle rolls backwards so the castor goes more negative and JT's like a lot of positive castor and the axle also shifts to one side. I am not familiar yet with all the components on a JT but depending on what is still connected either the driver or passenger side of the axle is going to move back towards the firewall. I think we know the answer now.

A 2 inch lift should not effect the axle that much unless its a pretty big 2 inche lift. once you get over 3 inches the castor is going to start getting out of spec. I read on here earlier that JT's like 4-7 degrees of castor, that would send my 2 dr JK in to immediate death wobble. In the JT the increased castor also effects the camber. That and not having an adustable track bar could cause your pull.

Oh boy these new ones are going to have a learning curve that's going to make the older ones look like elementary school.

When a recently lifted Jeep starts to pull or death wobble leave the tire gauge in the tool box. And fyi you can have a lifted Jeep that has a perfect alignment that drives like total shit.

Joker4L

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubion "LE"
I have the same issue where I feel I always have to have to pull ever so slightly to the 11 o’clock to get it to stay straight. Just enough for me to feel that I am applying pressure.

I am contemplating removing my falcon stabilizer to test to see if it gets better or stays the same

Canuck33

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I'm having the same issue with my JT...pulling to the right and wheel defaults to 1 o'clock almost immediately upon releasing the steering wheel. I have a 2.5 MC lift/level with 35's and Falcon shocks. Alignment has been done and everything shows fine.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
If you have a steering stabilizer that extends to the limit when not installed and takes significant force to compress, you have the wrong stabilizer and this is the result. Personally, I like the Falcon 2.2 adjustable set on medium, but that’s just me.

Sponsored

SoCalGladiator

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Pumpkin Orange
Hi gang.

Even though this thread is older, I still want to share my findings. I just did the 2 inch mopar on my rubicon. First thing I noticed on the test drive was I had to hold the steering wheel to the left at about 11 o'clock to go straight.

I didn't see any replies directly replace this, just a lot of "tighten this", "check that", "adjustable track bar", etc.

I'm going to tell you the 3 minute fix then you'll go darn, wish I checked that first.

If someone did say this and I missed it, apologies.

When you lift your JT, even 2 inches, it "shortens" your drag link. The drag link has your steering wheel centered at factory height. When you add to that height without extending the drag link, the drag link is now pulling the pitman arm to the right, causing the right hand pull.

The fix:
Drive your jeep to a level surface and make sure it is driving straight so the wheels are straight. Park and set the e brake. Get a 15 mm socket, loosen the drag link locking not, and twist the drag link sleeve until the steering wheel centers (have someone look at it, do not sit inside while doing this). When you fix the length of the drag link, the pitman arm will center again as will your steering wheel.
5 minutes / zero dollars.

Hope this helps,
Brian

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hi gang.

Even though this thread is older, I still want to share my findings. I just did the 2 inch mopar on my rubicon. First thing I noticed on the test drive was I had to hold the steering wheel to the left at about 11 o'clock to go straight.

I didn't see any replies directly replace this, just a lot of "tighten this", "check that", "adjustable track bar", etc.

I'm going to tell you the 3 minute fix then you'll go darn, wish I checked that first.

When you lift your JT, even 2 inches, it "shortens" your drag link. The drag link has your steering wheel centered at factory height. When you add to that height without extending the drag link, the drag link is now pulling the pitman arm to the right, causing the right hand pull.

The fix:
Drive your jeep to a level surface and make sure it is driving straight so the wheels are straight. Park and set the e brake. Get a 15 mm socket, loosen the drag link locking not, and twist the drag link sleeve until the steering wheel centers (have someone look at it, do not sit inside while doing this). When you fix the length of the drag link, the pitman arm will center again as will your steering wheel.

Hope this helps,
Brian
That's all well and good, but it may not fix everyone's problems. I did this immediately after installing my Mopar lift and I did it again after installing my JKS adjustable front track bar. Neither time did it fix my Jeep pulling to the right and it still does to this day.

SoCalGladiator

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm. Good point. Let me ask, if you're parked with your tires straight, is your steering wheel centered?

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

SoCalGladiator

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am putting in an adjustable track bar as soon as it arrives, then taking in for a full alignment. Did you align it yet?

Sponsored

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
My steering noticeably became worse from stock to the installation by the dealer of the Mopar lift. They installed a Fox Steering Stablizer for me and it improved it where it “felt stock” again. That being said, now that I’ve gotten the TSB fix on it, it’s night and day. Zero issues and immediately felt like I was driving a different vehicle even in the parking lot as I pulled away.

I don’t believe the Mopar lift causes anyone to have “steering problems” as it’s more likely the issues some JL’s since 2018 have also been having. Likewise, any service department that are blaming lifts for causing steering issues withiut acknowledging that the “jeep thing” is actually about faulty steering boxes, are ignoring the fact that FCA has finally come out with a fix.

Demo_slug

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2020
Vehicle Showcase
It’s been said a few times, but the IFP type steering damper will make the Jeep pull to the right (they should only be used in a push-pull double damper configuration). The thru shaft versions cost more, but it’s a much better solution, it’s what I installed
3747DF09-716D-46A7-9833-56ABA1BB224B.png

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Hi gang.

The fix:

Hope this helps,
Brian
Like you said, this thread is old.

However.

Centering the steering wheel after a lift is part of the alignment process. So if someone goes and gets an alignment and the steering wheel is not center, then I can only assume there are other parts of the alignment that are off.

So yes, of course you have seen replies of check this, adjust that, etc. Because that IS the issue after a lift. Something is not aligned properly (track bar, drag link, control arms, etc).

If someone said their steering wheel was not centered you would see replies stating to adjust the drag link. This is a standard lifting a Jeep thing.

Sean84

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Military Sales Rep @ Massif
So I had the mopar 2 inch lift installed on my 2020 overland with an adjustable track bar for the front. After I noticed it pulling to the right I went down the rabbit hole and discovered the steering box issue. My dealership installed the new steering box without any issue... But now the pull to the right is dramatically worse. Front axel is centered, I’ve had the alignment done 4 times by 3 different shops. The rear axle isn’t perfect but isn’t too far from center. Does anyone have any idea why the TSB would have made the issue worse instead of better?

Sean84

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Military Sales Rep @ Massif
It’s been said a few times, but the IFP type steering damper will make the Jeep pull to the right (they should only be used in a push-pull double damper configuration). The thru shaft versions cost more, but it’s a much better solution, it’s what I installed
Jeep Gladiator Steering issue after Mopar lift 3747DF09-716D-46A7-9833-56ABA1BB224B
Can you list the part number for this please. Thanks!
Sponsored