First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Law
Yesterday I put on a steering stabilizer and the can end was shown towards the axel. I see a lot of videos online where the can is towards the wheel. I had crazy death wobble today for the first time after I put it on yesterday. Any advice on this
Sponsored

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
Can you post a pic of the install?

OP
OP
Brahmajoe

Brahmajoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law
Can you post a pic of the install?
I joined a chat with them and they said to try flipping it, and when was my last alignment. I was aligned 2 weeks ago. But a lot of pics and videos online show it reversed.

IMG_3006.png

Jimko71

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
I asked the same question a while back and was advised "Body towards the wheel, piston (boot) towards the center."

OP
OP
Brahmajoe

Brahmajoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law
I asked the same question a while back and was advised "Body towards the wheel, piston (boot) towards the center."
I know this is a lower quality brand but the instructions are incorrect then?

Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I know this is a lower quality brand but the instructions are incorrect then?
And the OEM one is installed 'wrong', too?

I can't imagine it matters which which way it's installed outside of clearance considerations. I would assume the damper is the same C/R, so either way has the same resistance. My racing history says to have the body towards the center for a more even weight distribution. But I'm not an expert in these things.

Maybe it's a way of politely saying "it's not tight enough."

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I joined a chat with them and they said to try flipping it, and when was my last alignment. I was aligned 2 weeks ago. But a lot of pics and videos online show it reversed.
Sorry, I was asking for a pic of your actual install. Sometimes folks on the forums will see things that might provide some insight.

For instance, on my daughter's JK, her stabilizer wasn't parallel to the tie rod and she would get a lot of shimmy (the last remnants of a true DW in her rig). I swiveled the bracket a bit to correct that and her steering was perfectly stable after that. Just an example, but sometimes pictures help.

OP
OP
Brahmajoe

Brahmajoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law

I can't imagine it matters which which way it's installed outside of clearance considerations. I would assume the damper is the same C/R, so either way has the same resistance. My racing history says to have the body towards the center for a more even weight distribution. But I'm not an expert in these things.

Sorry, I was asking for a pic of your actual install. Sometimes folks on the forums will see things that might provide some insight.

For instance, on my daughter's JK, her stabilizer wasn't parallel to the tie rod and she would get a lot of shimmy (the last remnants of a true DW in her rig). I swiveled the bracket a bit to correct that and her steering was perfectly stable after that. Just an example, but sometimes pictures help.
looks the same as instructions

Jimko71

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer

Pretty sure the OEM has the body towards the wheel. Mine was when I replaced it.

Jeep Gladiator Steering stabilizer orientation 1706542898335

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Pretty sure the OEM has the body towards the wheel. Mine was when I replaced it.

Jeep Gladiator Steering stabilizer orientation 1706542898335
ah... it was a small pic on my phone, couldn't make out the shaft protector.

Sponsored

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
The factory one has the body toward the wheel like @Jimko71 highlighted.

Did you check to make sure the stabilizer was working properly before install? Can you manually move the piston with ease or is it hard to move? How was/is it compared to the stock SS?

I don't see anything in the brief instructions you posted about making sure the travel is set properly. Some aftermarket SS's don't have the same compression/extension as stock and you might have to adjust the tie rod mount to accommodate.

OP
OP
Brahmajoe

Brahmajoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law

Did you check to make sure the stabilizer was working properly before install? Can you manually move the piston with ease or is it hard to move? How was/is it compared to the stock SS?

I don't see anything in the brief instructions you posted about making sure the travel is set properly. Some aftermarket SS's don't have the same compression/extension as stock and you might have to adjust the tie rod mount to accommodate.
Piston was hard to move, harder then the stock

OP
OP
Brahmajoe

Brahmajoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law

Should I flip with body towards wheel??

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Should I flip with body towards wheel??
I would give it a try, yes. Most other SS's are mounted that way except maybe the pass-through kind.

OP
OP
Brahmajoe

Brahmajoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law
I would give it a try, yes. Most other SS's are mounted that way except maybe the pass-through kind.
That’s what my gut told me but the instructions I posted above showed it like I mounted. I’ll give it a shot
Sponsored