Sponsored

Steering suddenly very loose 2 months after TSB

jjmstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
I know what you mean, I'm a millwright in heavy industry, most of my torque specs start at 400 ft lbs and go up to 1000. Some 3000 ft lbs. Have some really interesting tools to get to these numbers.
My backs hurting just thinking about the tools needed for that
Sponsored

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
I know what you mean, I'm a millwright in heavy industry, most of my torque specs start at 400 ft lbs and go up to 1000. Some 3000 ft lbs. Have some really interesting tools to get to these numbers.
3000ft lbs sounds about what my body bolts were installed to from the factory. Lol!
Pssshhh,,,, a harbor freight impact socket and breaker bar with a 10’ length of pipe. Easy peasy!

jfhull71

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, Gator Sport S
Occupation
Millwright
My backs hurting just thinking about the tools needed for that
You might be surprised, the hydraulic machines are a pain in the ass and heavy pump unit, the electric battery torque gun hits to almost 4000, but you better have the reaction bar on something solid. Tough part is having the room to get them in, no room...then it's back to the stone age... the always useful cheater bar. And maybe a come along on that cheater breaking loose rusty bolts.

jfhull71

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, Gator Sport S
Occupation
Millwright
3000ft lbs sounds about what my body bolts were installed to from the factory. Lol!
Pssshhh,,,, a harbor freight impact socket and breaker bar with a 10’ length of pipe. Easy peasy!
Few years ago after spending two days fighting an axle nut on his kid's rice rocket a neighbor finally asked me to help him and son. The look on their faces 5 minutes later. PRICELESS

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The nut should be torqued to 177 ft/lbs and use red loctite. It takes a big socket 42mm ( I used 1-11/16") you will soend 3x the cost of the nut on the socket. :clap:

OP
OP
Stacked JT

Stacked JT

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stingray JT Rubicon
I would put some blue loctite on it, torque it down and call it a day.

But, that's me. I tend to not go to dealers for things I can fix myself.
Absolutely, I just want them to inspect to make sure the splines were not damaged. I don't know alot about steering components, but was told the pitman arms are sometimes pressed on, so if my steering got as bad as it did, may want to look at more than just retorqueing.
Sponsored