Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
OP
OP
Geoarch

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well those of us in shipping status will just get a call from the dealer, someday…

MattHamilton

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Support Analyst
If it was ransomware, then the only way I know of to retrieve the data without paying the ba$tard$ is to restore from a backup that was made before the ransomware was slipped into the system, and then input the data that was lost between "then" and now. If the system was infected 3 weeks let's say before it was activated, then I'd imagine that's a lot of paperwork retrieval and manual data entry.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Cyberattack doesn't equal hack or data breach. It could also be a denial of service attack, or it could mean they logged someone prodding for a way in and decided they should finally upgrade the old software the bean counters have been refusing to sign off on for the last 3 budget years because "it works just fine as it is".

OP
OP
Geoarch

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stellantis might still be down, but I got my window sticker today (attached). They just can't tell where it is in shipping space...

Attachments

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
My sales guy gave me an update on my JTR shipping, and this is what he said:

"While I was away apparently there was an attempt to breach the tracking site so Stellantis shut it down and has been unresponsive for about 10 days now. So my last update is it is in transit but only the train and the Gladiator know where and when it will get here haha. Soon...hopefully."

At least he has a sense of humor. Who the hell would want to hack the Stellantis web site? At least my jeep is in transit somewhere between Toledo and Albuquerque.
- probably just crashed because of everyone asking for delivery updates...😁

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
- probably just crashed because of everyone asking for delivery updates...😁
user loads are real. lol

It's also an issue over on the Ram side, so some web component failed to hold up against the might of the Internet ne'er do wells.

Many attacks aren't targeted. They (computer geeks w/ too much time) crawl the Internet with their attack and hope they get something.

About once a year, the company I work for gets hit on the store website with some attack.

And truth be known, sometimes it's not an attack, it's because the web development team has a Michael Bolton employee.

702133.png

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Cyberattack doesn't equal hack or data breach. It could also be a denial of service attack, or it could mean they logged someone prodding for a way in and decided they should finally upgrade the old software the bean counters have been refusing to sign off on for the last 3 budget years because "it works just fine as it is".
That's the point I've been trying to make - hack is one thing, breach another, and "attack" is even different. You can take a site down and never get inside. You can get through defenses but never get into date to steal or copy it.
And no sales person I have ever met is clever enough to know the difference. If it's down, it was hacked, that's all they believe or know.

But an attack such as DoS is seldom long-term. Those rarely last long. They are making a point and eventually ways are put in to mitigate the attack. We're into multiple weeks.
Hack, similar - even the government losses due to the 'hacked" and modified software updates that were applied a while back didn't lead to long-term outages.
Upgrades don't take long and these days, you don't have physical servers to deal with (other than VM hosts, and you have multiples of those - if one dies, who cares, fix it)
It's baffling to me, having worked in both big business IT and government IT, servers, endpoints, WANS, LANS, firewalls, routers, switches, VMs, whatever, that anything could take so long unless they were so stupid as to have no redundancy and no continuity plans in place.
I know PFG was insistent that each department has continuity plans in place, and as part of the "the buck stops here" IT team, each of us had to come up with plans to recover and continue in case of attack (9-11 woke major companies up) - if we lost a building, we had to have a plan.
I was responsible for the plan to recover our top-end malware prevention systems. We could lose servers in building A and clients would migrate to the next servers down the list - in another building.
We had off-site redundant servers in another secure location in a military base when I was with the state. If we lost our building, routes would automatically change, people using VPN from remote locations would connect to another server and never know there was any issue.
Having lived this stuff for years - I'm just plain baffled. Someone really screwed up and never planned or something.

Sponsored

vagabond

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
A true hack, or is the sales guy guessing.
Who told the sales guy it was hacked?
Hack doesn't mean data breach - so I'd love to know if it REALLY was an intrusion, or cyber attack instead of just a systems failure (which happens) which was it, a hack, or a hack with data breach.

There are no indications from reliable sources anything has happened to that degree.
Toyota was hacked recently - and a Toyota supplier being victim of a cyber attack did shut down some Japanese Toyota production.

Nothing about Jeep, FCA or Stellantis.

From what I hear, it wasn't actually FCA or Stellantis that was having problems, it was the logistics company they contract with.
Likely a sales person who can only use but not understand a computer is saying "it was hacked" because it's not available.
That's my take until some reliable security company says otherwise, and so far, there's not a peep and yet there's news out there about Toyota.........
That's exactly what my sales rep told me when I placed my order on the 19th, it was the logistics or rail, company, and that there were vehicles backed up in loading and rail yards.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Upgrades don't take long and these days, you don't have physical servers to deal with (other than VM hosts, and you have multiples of those - if one dies, who cares, fix it)
It's baffling to me, having worked in both big business IT and government IT, servers, endpoints, WANS, LANS, firewalls, routers, switches, VMs, whatever, that anything could take so long unless they were so stupid as to have no redundancy and no continuity plans in place.
I know PFG was insistent that each department has continuity plans in place, and as part of the "the buck stops here" IT team, each of us had to come up with plans to recover and continue in case of attack (9-11 woke major companies up) - if we lost a building, we had to have a plan.
I was responsible for the plan to recover our top-end malware prevention systems. We could lose servers in building A and clients would migrate to the next servers down the list - in another building.
We had off-site redundant servers in another secure location in a military base when I was with the state. If we lost our building, routes would automatically change, people using VPN from remote locations would connect to another server and never know there was any issue.
Having lived this stuff for years - I'm just plain baffled. Someone really screwed up and never planned or something.
Actually, certain industries still have physical servers, and even virtual servers still have a physical presence *somewhere*. This is literally my wife's job. She's currently A.VP of IT for a financial institution. Nothing is cloud based there for obvious security concerns. But they do a LOT of testing before implementing stuff. Having a banking system go down for even a few hours is a huge deal. Before that, she ran IT for a manufacturer that among other things, did DoD work. Worst I can remember there was maybe 48hrs, most of those hours night/weekend.
That said, I know of another wholesaler with contracted IT support that updated their ERP and hosed everything for over a month. They literally had to install more phone lines, hire operators, and take and process orders by hand like they did 50yrs ago.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, certain industries still have physical servers, and even virtual servers still have a physical presence *somewhere*.
Yes, VMs have to have hosts - somewhere........... and physical servers exist, but no redundancy?
Even 20 years ago we had the ability to spin up servers in short order and restore data in hours.
A properly configured SQL server is almost bullet-proof as far as being able to restore things in a short time.

I talked to the guy I bought my truck through earlier today. He also used the word "hacked" but after we talked, he admitted that's just how he saw it.
He said some fleet trucks that were ordered in December still haven't shown up while other stuff ordered a month ago is coming in. They keep getting things in and there's no rhyme nor reason to it and they still can't see anything beyond built and ready to ship. He can follow the whole process until it's shipped. Then they are still blind.

(I may visit him next week to see what they can do for me on a trade - he said they'd want my truck back fully stock as ordered, and would allow me to keep the truck until a new one came in as long as we had an agreement on miles and condition, etc.)

trizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Diesel
Stellantis might still be down, but I got my window sticker today (attached). They just can't tell where it is in shipping space...
I'm still kzs. Hopefully it's actually shipped but the code hasn't updated. If the tracker comes back up and I still haven't shipped I'm cancelling.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Will be interesting to see how mine tracks once I get some numbers for it. Got an email saying thanks for the order, and it was accepted.
Jeep Gladiator Stellantis website down for 10 days 1651636048880
Sponsored