Sponsored

Stock Driveshaft Failure

surfingwhy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I purchased an Overland Gladiator in June 2020. Only modifications on it are Rubicon take-off wheels and shocks, and a 1.5 inch spacer leveling kit in the front. I have done some light off-roading maybe 5 times since I purchased the vehicle. It is always low speed on dirt roads, nothing too extreme.

I recently started noticing the car would vibrate at certain speeds 20-25 mph. Similar sensation to driving on a rumble strip. Initially I thought i had a wheel balancing issue, but earlier this week, I was driving on the highway at 60 mph and the vehicle started vibrating and rattling noticeably louder than any of the times before. After this point, the noise was consistent and seemed to be getting worse. I managed to hobble to the dealership.

After a few days, the service department contacted me saying that my driveshaft was damaged and needed to be replaced. They are saying that they cannot cover it under warranty because the modifications may have caused the issue, citing that the new angle put may have put stress on the driveshaft.

I saw there is a recall on the gladiator driveshafts units that were assembled without grease. I did a VIN lookup and my vehicle is not listed under this recall.

I attached some photos of the damage. Is the service dept. blowing smoke, or is this damage probably my fault?

Jeep Gladiator Stock Driveshaft Failure IMG_6475.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Stock Driveshaft Failure IMG_6476.JPG
Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Edit- i misread the OP’s post that he had installed a lifting with the spacer. Pretty much everything i have written in this thread doesnt really apply.

-this is why i always advocate for a carrier bearing drop kit on any lift

-get the dealership to put in writing, right now, why they are denying your claim to lock them into a story

-tow your truck away from the dealership and take your truck to an independent alignment shop that can check your thrust angle and whether or not it is in spec for your truck. If it is, save all the information and leave the truck at that shop. Do not drive it. If it isnt in spec, you’re probably fucked

-if it is in spec, assemble all part numbers for the rubicon pieces you used

-take this information back to the dealer and argue/negotiate/ discuss your side for covering, and cite the recall number. Be polite and articulate.

-If they refuse, get an estimate for repairing at a shop of your choosing and decide if the cost is worth the ass pain of starting your arbitration process.

Jeep Cares is usually helps out with stuff like this if you are in the right. But make sure you are. If you put DS angles out of spec by doing a half ass approach somehow, then this is just the way it goes and you are at fault for it. If everything is in spec on drive shaft alignment then they have absolutely nothing to stand on.

Last edited:

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
@surfingwhy
@KurtP

You have made a couple of valid points but this guy before he does anything is to call FCA and have a case opened.. Often not using a sledge hammer to do a tack hammers job is more prudent..

As soon as an case is opened.....Dealer will be made aware of the case. right away and the dealer knowing FCA is in the mix will back off so to speak...

To do as you say and raise holly hell with the dealer.. tow the vehicle... go crazy so to speak is just going to accelerate things in the wrong direction. Go easy first and then if need be get out the sledge hammer.

FCA more often then not will help a guy out so to speak.
Nowhere did i advocate to “go crazy”. If you cant get the issue resolved locally because the dealer wants to play hard ball, you need to shore up your position and lock them into a story.

The dealer holds all the cards until you have a position to fight them from, and the burden of proof is on you.

Theres nothing wrong with a thing what you suggested. When that fails, you need to do what I said if you want to win.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
If all you have installed is a 1.5" front spacer lift that has no affect on the rear driveshaft angle. I would challenge the dealer on this, most likely the driveshaft is defective and that is what caused it's failure.

Sponsored

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I purchased an Overland Gladiator in June 2020. Only modifications on it are Rubicon take-off wheels and shocks, and a 1.5 inch spacer leveling kit in the front. I have done some light off-roading maybe 5 times since I purchased the vehicle. It is always low speed on dirt roads, nothing too extreme.

I recently started noticing the car would vibrate at certain speeds 20-25 mph. Similar sensation to driving on a rumble strip. Initially I thought i had a wheel balancing issue, but earlier this week, I was driving on the highway at 60 mph and the vehicle started vibrating and rattling noticeably louder than any of the times before. After this point, the noise was consistent and seemed to be getting worse. I managed to hobble to the dealership.

After a few days, the service department contacted me saying that my driveshaft was damaged and needed to be replaced. They are saying that they cannot cover it under warranty because the modifications may have caused the issue, citing that the new angle put may have put stress on the driveshaft.

I saw there is a recall on the gladiator driveshafts units that were assembled without grease. I did a VIN lookup and my vehicle is not listed under this recall.

I attached some photos of the damage. Is the service dept. blowing smoke, or is this damage probably my fault?

I'd pitch a fit.
"You sell a mopar lift for my truck that's the same size!"
Or just see if you can find a wrecked one you can get their driveshaft from. Install it yourself.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
If all you have installed is a 1.5" front spacer lift that has no affect on the rear driveshaft angle. I would challenge the dealer on this, most likely the driveshaft is defective and that is what caused it's failure.
Exactly!!! The burden of proof is on the dealer, end of story, to prove the mods caused the issue. Like a previous post said have them put it in writing and then go after them for a viilation of warranty laws. Just because they say your mod did what they claim doesn't mean it is true. Right away with an issue this big and expensive they should have involved a FCA rep to inspect the damage. Sounds like the service manager is a d-bag. BTW I have an 1 1/2" spacer leveling kit and have put it to the test on more than just dirt roads and have had no issues. It's not the mods.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
The dealer holds all the cards until you have a position to fight them from, and the burden of proof is on you.
Respectfully that statement is wrong...the burden of proof is always on the dealer.

15 U.S. Code, Chapter 50, Section 2304, subsection b, paragraph 1 states...

"In fulfilling the duties under subsection (a) respecting a written warranty, the warrantor shall not impose any duty other than notification upon any consumer as a condition of securing remedy of any consumer product which malfunctions"

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/2304

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
OP, what you basically have done is taken your JT to a Rubicon set up with the mods you have done. Should not have affected any pinion or drive shaft angles.

With that said, post no more about interactions with the dealer or Corporate anywhere online. JEEP monitors these forums for several reasons. Anything you post on a public forum can be used against you.

As has been stated, escalate your claim above the dealership level. Be polite, be very specific about what has been done to your JT and the condition it is in.

Most of all, good luck.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Just what I was thinking. Your driveshaft angles should be the same.

Sponsored

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
1.5 inch is less than the 2 inch mopar lift. I know logic doesn’t work often with dealerships, but it is worth a try pointing that out.

Haven’t some folks switched to a 1 piece rear driveshaft ?
Yep, but I assume most of us are doing that with 3 inch and greater lifts + bigger and heavier wheels. At least that is why I swapped my driveshafts out.

@surfingwhy If the dealership is being a pain, I would recommend putting better driveshaft on. Probably costs less than having the dealer do it, and likely stronger in the long run. That is if you can wait to order one in and feel comfortable with aftermarket parts.

shyoung1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave(SOLD) 2023 F350 Superduty
If all you have done is a 1.5” front leveling kit, that has HELPED the rear shaft angle if anything!

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Respectfully that statement is wrong...the burden of proof is always on the dealer.

15 U.S. Code, Chapter 50, Section 2304, subsection b, paragraph 1 states...

"In fulfilling the duties under subsection (a) respecting a written warranty, the warrantor shall not impose any duty other than notification upon any consumer as a condition of securing remedy of any consumer product which malfunctions"

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/2304
Im familiar with what it says, but also with how it works.

What the law says and how it ends up working arent the same. If the law actually worked the way it is written, the dealer would have to say “yes” to every warranty claim; and have to follow the arbitration or court process to say “no”. Yet dealer’s deny claims like this all the time, and force the consumer to spend their time and their dime to reverse the decision via an arbitration process or court action.

For folks talking about driveshaft angles: remember what you “know” doesnt matter....you have to prove it. Theyre claiming the lift caused the driveshaft to fail. Proving that the driveshaft angle is correct is a key component of refuting that.

I dont think the OP’s issue will come to any of this. I think talking some sense into people at the dealer, working with FCA, and working with JeepCares will sort this all out. Im only saying if for some reason it looks like it isnt, or is getting dicey, you need to capture on record what your driveshaft angle is.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
If all you have done is a 1.5” front leveling kit, that has HELPED the rear shaft angle if anything!
Unless i misread, he did a rubicon lift plus the spacer? And a front lift doesnt change rear driveshaft angle either way.

shyoung1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave(SOLD) 2023 F350 Superduty
He said Rubicon take off wheels, tires and shocks. Nothing about lift except 1.5” leveling in front
Sponsored