Sponsored

Storage cubbies for doors?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Did your wife think through the want of a Wrangler and what it has or did not have?

I only says this having bought my wife a then new Toyota FJ Cruiser because she like the color (yellow) it came in. Spent the next 4+ years listening to her niggle it about not having this or that or complaining about the fishbowl interior and blind spots.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Did your wife think through the want of a Wrangler and what it has or did not have?

I only says this having bought my wife a then new Toyota FJ Cruiser because she like the color (yellow) it came in. Spent the next 4+ years listening to her niggle it about not having this or that or complaining about the fishbowl interior and blind spots.
Yeah, and she knows of some of the things that can be done based on experience with the Gladiator. She's driven my truck a couple thousand miles.
Some of the stuff - like the door storage/cubbies, is more of me seeing how she uses things and taking care of it pro-actively.
She mentioned the door stuff pretty much in passing - I volunteered "I bet there's a way around that".
It helps we've had the same interior in my trucks since late 2019 and she's driven them a lot and ridden in them even more.
I told her up front when we started looking - the front half will be exactly like the truck - exactly, seats included (save for the 4xe stuff like the top of the dash lacking the tray where I keep my sunglasses - I need to find a way around that for her)

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not exactly what you’re asking for…but this thing that creates two cupholders out of one works quite well once you add pads to seat it firmly. That leaves one of the two built-ins free for stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Multifunctio...e-Spiricle/dp/B09Q8PVCHL?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1
Not looking for cup holders, though. Looking for storage space on the doors in place of the nets.
The center console area (shifter, cup holders, etc. ) is frankly crowded enough from the factory and with her handicap, she can't easily reach things in the center while she's in the driver seat.
So added cubbies, or storage, is best on the left - door pocket area. I have to hand her anything that's to her right or in the center around the cup holder area unless she stops and physically turns in the seat to reach it.
All I've found is for the rear doors, that's a joke, nothing for the fronts other than things you have to drill holes and screw in place. They make "snap-in" storage with tabs and no drilling for the back as if most people sit in the back seat of their Jeep. Odd.

Stuff like this is everywhere - for the REAR doors and for the 2011-2018 Jeeps. Nothing nice for the front doors or 2019 and later.

Jeep Gladiator Storage cubbies for doors? 1674748778471

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
She could sew a fabric or canvas pocket to fit inside the netting.

Steelglad

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Lab Technician
This may not be relevant, but I am careful what I put in there. First, every time you open the door, you show folks what your totin(in the net anyway) and when you shut the door, anything in there jumps around. I heard a left handed guy saying thats where he keeps his piece. I know that does not address the OP situation, but that storage space is not well engineered. They make a straddle type thing that goes around the shifter then down the sides. More accessable and less intrusive.

Coldtoes

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon - Hyrdro Blue
Purple. That's part of the answer.
You should see the list of stuff I have ordered that's purple for that interior - including new USB C to C short cable - in purple. Headlight and radio dial covers - purple. Hood latch covers - purple, and more.

The shortcomings - It's mostly storage stuff.
The shifter being waaay far away is a semi-problem but she's getting used to leaning way forward so she can reach it. She's already proven she can run the transfer case shifter from 2 to 4H auto with little trouble.
The dash handle cubby, the ones that go on the side of the shifter area - those will help. She really likes those in the Gladiator (she bought those for my JT)
Once we get past some initial things like steps and storage, she's been happy with it.
Ya gotta admit, the nets are there to keep doors light and simple and aren't really that useful.
This doesn't answer the question of storage, but if more exterior color on the inside and outside wins you some points you might check out these guys. They have all sorts of body colored parts to swap. Sure we could all DIY but this is far easier and better workmanship than I would do myself... I haven't bought anything yet, but i have a few items on my wishlist.

https://www.distinctionapplied.com/wranglerjl4door

Distinction Applied . com incase the link gets broken.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
She could sew a fabric or canvas pocket to fit inside the netting.
I thought about a lining of some sort for those - but then it's still not a thing you can just drop something into or just reach down and there it is.
Sad that there are tons of options for rear doors on the JK and JL but they don't make the same things for the front doors of the JL. Weird. Why would I want extra storage on rear doors where you have to get out and open the door? There are some really nice pieces that just snap into place, no drilling needed, no screws, for rear doors. All they do for the fronts is a bottle holder.

They make a straddle type thing that goes around the shifter then down the sides. More accessable and less intrusive.
Already have for both the JT and JL. I didn't get the straddle type as it would be in the way of that trap door for releasing a stuck vehicle for pulling away. Didn't want to have to lift anything out to reach that or like some - they stick up far enough to block switch access.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I thought about a lining of some sort for those - but then it's still not a thing you can just drop something into or just reach down and there it is.
I don’t think you are giving your wife enough credit - if she is anything like my mother who also quilts up a storm, she can whip up something if you let her know that is probably the only option… and when she figures it out she’ll be selling them here as well!

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Storage cubbies for doors? 1674785205563

Jeep Gladiator Storage cubbies for doors? 1674785258726

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Expensive but looks to be a better option than the netting.

Overland Outfitters
Yeah that's way out of the question since all we really want are add-on plastic cubbies, open top, rigid.

Should be doable for 20-30 bucks but no one makes them for the FRONT doors, especially for the 2019 and later (JLU)
If I wanted something for the JK rears there are a dozen choices, some snap into place.
Looks like we're out of luck on this idea.
If we had an old Jeep or wanted rears, it would be easy.

JK - done deal
JL - they don't exist
Jeep Gladiator Storage cubbies for doors? 1674793761838

Oh, well, it was a thought.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Some of the stuff - like the door storage/cubbies, is more of me seeing how she uses things and taking care of it pro-actively.
She mentioned the door stuff pretty much in passing - I volunteered "I bet there's a way around that".
I don't have a solution, but reading this part I just had to say, here's a man who's been married apparently a long time, or just clicks really well with his spouse. I found myself nodding along, yep, listen to the clues before it escalates to straight out asks/demands....lol
Sponsored