Sponsored

Sudden Key Fob Range Issue - Both at the same time

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
I've read through old posts but no conclusive answer... Has anyone solved the problem with key fobs suddenly having range problems?
As of yesterday, I can no longer use my fob unless standing right next to the door.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I've read through old posts but no conclusive answer... Has anyone solved the problem with key fobs suddenly having range problems?
As of yesterday, I can no longer use my fob unless standing right next to the door.
There's been talk of issues with the remote start/RKE antenna causing issues.
If you had a newer JT I'd ask if the TPMS was working but you have a 2020 so the TPMS wouldn't be involved as far as I understand.

This is the issue talked about in a TSB -

Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Decreased Remote Start And RKE Range.

Discussion: Issues with the remote start antenna can cause decreased RKE/remote start range

Last edited:

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
You might try installing a new battery in the key fob. Range issues can happen when the fob battery gets low. It happened to me just last week, in fact. When the battery has gotten low in the past, I either get a message that the key fob is not detected or to hold the fob next to the ignition switch. I always carry a spare key fob battery in the glove box. I installed a new battery and now it's fine.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You might try installing a new battery in the key fob. Range issues can happen when the fob battery gets low. It happened to me just last week, in fact. When the battery has gotten low in the past, I either get a message that the key fob is not detected or to hold the fob next to the ignition switch. I always carry a spare key fob battery in the glove box. I installed a new battery and now it's fine.
He said both fobs at the same time. What are the odds.................

I've never had a fob battery die - not on a fob less than 5 years old anyway, let alone both at the same time on a 3 year old vehicle.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I'm not sure he said both of his fobs stopped working...plural in first paragraph, but singular in second. I've had to replace batteries in each of my Gladiator's fobs since I received it in August of 2019.

Edit...oh...guess I should have read the title. But...both batteries are the same age. I'd try replacing them anyway.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RiverMtnBeach

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's been talk of issues with the remote start/RKE antenna causing issues.
If you had a newer JT I'd ask if the TPMS was working but you have a 2020 so the TPMS wouldn't be involved as far as I understand.

Discussion: Issues with the remote start antenna can cause decreased RKE/remote start range
TPMS works fine. Do you happen to have the TSB number or a link?

OP
OP
RiverMtnBeach

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure he said both of his fobs stopped working...plural in first paragraph, but singular in second. I've had to replace batteries in each of my Gladiator's fobs since I received it in August of 2019.

Edit...oh...guess I should have read the title. But...both batteries are the same age. I'd try replacing them anyway.
Both, same issue. I also replaced battery on both, no luck. Lock/unlock/start-stop only work if held a few inches from the cab or while sitting in it. Does not work forward of the windshield or behind the cab. Seems to have about the same range as the fobs being detected in/near the vehicle to operate. It's as if it must be within the same proximity as "key fob detected" when you try to start it, which I find oddly specific. Not just weak or spotty, but exactly within that same range.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Does it happen everywhere? Mine was doing something similar… I narrowed it down to one specific area of a parking lot…. in range of a huuge and powerful antenna that had been upgraded very recently.

OP
OP
RiverMtnBeach

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does it happen everywhere? Mine was doing something similar… I narrowed it down to one specific area of a parking lot…. in range of a huuge and powerful antenna that had been upgraded very recently.
Everywhere around here.

dmwphoto

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired

[/QUOTE]
this.....

Shadowspapa is on the right track here

Sponsored

OP
OP
RiverMtnBeach

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

this.....

Shadowspapa is on the right track here
[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I'll try to find it. Would like to have the actual TSB in-hand before visiting my friendly local Jeep dealer.

danb

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 gladiator, '23 volvo xc90 recharge
Occupation
retired
I had issues with starting my 2022 if my cell phone is too close to the fob. How close to your phone?

OP
OP
RiverMtnBeach

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: Fixed it!
Re-installed Tazer Mini I previously uninstalled to troubleshoot. Married to system and checked codes - nothing. Cleared all codes, full reboot, and sleep-cycled twice (open door, ignition on, ignition off, open door, close door, wait until dash goes to sleep, repeat).
Everything now back to normal and working as it should.

Not sure if the Tazer was a solution or the cause, but it's sure easier than disconnecting batteries to reboot the thing.
Sponsored