Sponsored

Sunrider quality issues

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I'm just going to say, I have installed things that look a little off like that before without having to modify any of it. As soon as you went hacking into it, it's going to be really hard to get any help anywhere like with Bestop.

I can appreciate that you wanted it to go smoother than it did, but you probably would have gotten more help had you come here before cutting into it. Cutting it like that should have been the last resort.
Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just going to say, I have installed things that look a little off like that before without having to modify any of it. As soon as you went hacking into it, it's going to be really hard to get any help anywhere like with Bestop.

I can appreciate that you wanted it to go smoother than it did, but you probably would have gotten more help had you come here before cutting into it. Cutting it like that should have been the last resort.
Iā€™m sure he knows that. He doesnā€™t need to hear it from the internet. Until none of us have EVER botched an install, letā€™s give him a break and help him where we can.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Iā€™m sure he knows that. He doesnā€™t need to hear it from the internet. Until none of us have EVER botched an install, letā€™s give him a break and help him where we can.
I guess that's kind of what I'm trying to say. Ask for help first. He already cut it and is complaining about having to cut it. I think this is just a learning experience.

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
I had my sunrider installed in under 15 minutes. Everything is designed to fit snug together so that all the seals are formed well. Iā€™m not really sure how you wouldā€™ve had holes so far off. I loosely installed the rails first, moved the folding mechanism/top combo over them. I then mounted that to the rails and the rear part of the top and then tightened everything down. As long as everything seals together, and you donā€™t have any water or wind intrusion, I donā€™t see what issues you would have down the line. Since you went and filed out the holes, I donā€™t know how much bestop will be able to help since youā€™ve ā€œmodifiedā€ the product.

OP
OP
DPG4EVR

DPG4EVR

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Director

Thanks. Was not looking for anything from Bestop other than an apology and a commitment that they fix whatever it is in their process that allowed this to happen. Posted because I didnā€™t even get the courtesy
I guess that's kind of what I'm trying to say. Ask for help first. He already cut it and is complaining about having to cut it. I think this is just a learning experience.
Thanks everyone for your comments. Hopefully the next person who gets a Sunrider that is grossly misaligned will not be as impetuous as me and will come here looking for guidance before they enlarge the holes with the tools they have on hand. And hopefully they will be more forgiving of poor quality from an expensive purchased product.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If trying to help him, suggesting that the plastic be flexed is not a great idea. This particular plastic is really quite stiff and inflexible.
Ideally you would clearance it with a small round file. Which I mentioned. A bit of flex won't hurt anything.

...what durability problems are down the road?; and, for that money, should not have to deal with it.
I agree. for the very strong money they charge for the sunder, its reasonable to expect a premium product. That means everything lines up because they build things right and have good QC to stop unacceptable product from getting out the door.

I don't think the plastic being misaligned really suggests anything about durability. But poor alignment of other parts could lead to leaks. So I think your worry is reasonable. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Install it and see if it leaks.

I also agree that you shouldn't have to deal with those problems. But the alternative is going through the hassle of a return. Even if they pay shipping both ways, you have much more time invested than just clearancing the holes. But I'd have the same conflict in my head going on.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
While Bestop makes the actual Mopar Sunrider, do you think the quality might be higher if you order from Mopar and get an "OEM" Sunrider?

Same way LG makes Sony OLEDs for them, and gives Sony their best panels.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While Bestop makes the actual Mopar Sunrider, do you think the quality might be higher if you order from Mopar and get an "OEM" Sunrider?

Same way LG makes Sony OLEDs for them, and gives Sony their best panels.
I highly doubt they make better quality ones for Mopar.

However, if Mopar is known to send back or demand a refund for defective ones, they may do more thorough quality checks on the ones destined for Mopar.

But then again, if Mopar doesn't, they may not.

So who knows. Ha.

Sponsored

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey guys,
First off, @DPG4EVR , sorry you're having trouble. Being that the door surrounds come from a mold, I can't think of what would have gone wrong on yours. As others have mentioned, definitely helps to start all hardware before tightening any down. Whatever the case is that lead to you having to clearance the door surround, we'll be happy to help with replacement parts through our Customer Service team. Their number is 800-845-3567 and are answering phones from 6AM to 6PM here in Colorado. You can also email at [email protected].

Someone else had asked if the Mopar version would be higher quality. We hold our own quality second to none, and even provide a limited lifetime warranty with the Twill Sunrider. The big difference here is that the Mopar version comes more completely assembled out of the box.

Hope this helps!

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

OP
OP
DPG4EVR

DPG4EVR

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Director
Thanks to everyone who commented. As a refresher on the Sunrider assembly, there are two parts that go together on each side prior to install on the vehicle. These two parts have locator pins that go into on-size holes, then there are clearance holes where the bolts that hold the two pieces together go through. There is no way to reposition the parts - they are positively located by the pins. This is a best practice to locate two mating parts. On the product I received, the right side went together perfectly but the left side clearance holes were winked and did not allow the bolts to be installed, so I was faced with either enlarging the holes or go through the hassle of returning the product. There are two possible reasons for this condition: the clearance holes were off location or the locator pins are off location. Hope that explains things a bit better. Thanks again.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
or go through the hassle of returning the product.
In most cases we can help you without having to return the product. I understand it's the busy season and it may take some time to get connected with our CS team but I do hope you give us a chance to help you out properly.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

OP
OP
DPG4EVR

DPG4EVR

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Director
In most cases we can help you without having to return the product. I understand it's the busy season and it may take some time to get connected with our CS team but I do hope you give us a chance to help you out properly.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Two tickets created but never got responsesā€¦.
Sponsored